We could've had Herbert | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We could've had Herbert

The kid is a stud. He throws some absolute darts down the field. Attacks the entire field. He even moves well for a big tall kid.

Looking more and more like this will go down in history as the infamous Grier/Flores blunder

The Dolphins got Marino when 5 other teams passed on him and selected other QB’s instead in the first round of the 1983 draft. So selecting one QB over another QB has happened all the time in the NFL draft. Why you are making a big deal about it after the fact is nothing but a complete waste of time.

The Dolphins got Marino when 5 other teams passed on him and selected other QB’s instead in the first round of the 1983 draft. So selecting one QB over another QB has happened all the time in the NFL draft. Why you are making a big deal about it after the fact is nothing but a complete waste of time.
I completely understand what you are saying. But i have to admit, it would be nice to hit on just one of these situations where we are considering one of 2 players and we pick the wrong one seemingly every time, or we have a great player slide to us in the draft, and we pass on them for a player who doesn't pan out, and the player that seemingly fell in our lap becomes a HOF'er with a different team.

The hindsight thing is always funny. Yes! Herbert had the protoypical size and metrics to play the position. But if anyone is being honest and actually watched his college tapes there's nothing that suggested he would have this kind of success early on in his college career. Especially if you compare that to Tua.

Based on the college information, imo, Tua made more sense over Herbert.

Eitherway, it's life and stuff happens.

Last edited:
Herbert also has an o-line that let's him sling the ball around...his receivers don't just teleport down field. At least I don't think 🤔

Tua is more accurate, but nobody is going to play well with those tackles blocking.

The hindsight thing is always funny. Yes! Herbert had the protoypical size and metrics to play the position. But if anyone is being honest and actually watched his college tapes there's nothing that suggested he would have this kind of success early on in his college career. Especially if you compare that to Tua.

Based on the college information, imo, Tua made more sense over Herbert.

Eitherway, it's life and stuff happens.

Totally agree buddy. Also cast your mind back to draft day a majority of Fins fans (not everyone) wanted Miami to draft Tua & not Herbert.

I too have to hold my hands up, when watching Herbert's games for Oregon I just didn't see an NFL QB in him. He had a great arm, but was so streaky in his gameplay & at times looked like a deer in headlights when pressured in the not so competitive PAC 12. Compare that to Tua in winning a national championship & looking money for Bama in what I would regard at the time in a more competitive SEC conference. The main concern most Fins fans would agree is Tua's durability & whether he would fully recover from that horrific injury in college.

Looking at Herbert now & also seeing a glimpse of him during the Hard Knocks series, the guy looks like a player & makes clutch throws where it seems nothing really effects him. Good for him & once again emphasises how much of a lottery the NFL draft really is.

The difference between this team being a perennial playoff team and a perennial loser is a couple draft picks.

Having Herbert would be a complete game changer for this team. We’ve only been looking for a franchise QB since Marino retired. We could’ve had one but we picked the wrong guy.

Back
Top Bottom