We do have reasons for optimism... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We do have reasons for optimism...

dabeastdabone

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Okay, a few days after the hiring of Hickey we might of seen enough of the reality to come up with some conclusions.

First, despite all the talk about turmoil in the Dolphins offices we have learned quite the opposite. Hickey was hired in large part due to his ability to work with Joe. Now, you may not like Joe or Hickey but you have to admit this gives nobody a rock to crawl under. Both their contract are up in two years so that says two things (A) Despite Ross being a notorious nice guy (which does hold long term benefits for the team) he is saying show me something in two years or we are bringing out the big broom and your all gone. (B) It also tells me there is no "rebuilding" excuse in the future, the management and staff, coaches, etc...have been told you have talent and your hired to fill the holes.

Second, this years draft and free agency. Ireland's departure had to of been heavily due to his lack of impact in the draft. A lot of folks here are speculating we go offensive line in the draft but to me that is a pink slip to Joe and Dennis so I don't see it. I think we go after some under the radar lineman, guys like Ryan Harris, Guys who are backups elsewhere but are behind players that are some of the best in the league so they go unnoticed. We might make a move for a guy like Branden Albert But considering we need 2-3 starting lineman in free agency we might want to regulate the spending some. I think the draft will be a good one for those who like the glitz and glitter of the "skill" players. I see a Running back in the first three rounds, it will need to be a guy who can catch passes as well as run and block so that may eliminate a guy or two who is ranked high. I also see a big wide receiver drafted in the first three rounds, one of the 6' 4" plus guys like Evans or Benjamin. I think as the draft comes to a close we can all be, at the very least intrigued with the roster. I have noted something about players after the draft. If a skill guy isn't up to his expectations fans blame him first (i.e. Dan Thomas, Miller, etc) but if it is a Grunt (Dallas Thomas, Martin, etc) blow-back tends to go more toward the management. If I were Joe and Dennis I would make note of that considering the situation. I think we will see the Dolphins trying more to straddle the line between pleasing the fans and making long term moves as much as possible.

Third, dodged bullets. I am now thrilled Ross didn't hire Farmer or any of the other "first choice" candidates. They appear to of had the attitude that got us to the point we are. Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcels were guys with tons of experience and they are the reasons we are where we are today. The last thing I want to see is a guy like Farmer, who has no experience we can verify, as a GM or drafting/team building coming in with a rebuilding state of mind. These guys need to prove something before they are handed the keys to any organization. Ross gave them that chance and IMO they used all the bad media over things like Bullygate and the collapse of the season in the last two games, to overreach their abilities. I'm glad Ross stood his ground even if I think there could of been a better outcome.

Nice post. Ross comes across as shrewd by only offering Hickey a 2 year contract. This tells me that Philbin (and Tannehill) is being given 4 years to prove himself. This is reasonable, not blind allegiance. Coaches like Gary Kubiak, Jason Garrett and Marvin Lewis have received a much longer leash. In theory, this should quell the perception that Ross is incompetent, even though it won't.
My biggest regret is that they failed to close the deal with Licht, as it appears he was their top candidate. Other than that Hickey and Dominik are a reasonable Plan B.

I'm not sure at this point I have a preference for an individual over the other (in the cas of GM), such as Licht. I view it as they all had a chance to show they could earn the job and most, by not taking the job, said they weren't capable of succeeding. I know Licht is a little different being he had an offer on the table but he could of waited.

Back
Top Bottom