We have been spoiled for too long at CB | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We have been spoiled for too long at CB

PhinsPhan

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We have had good corners for as long as I can remember. Then in the last three years we have had arguably the best tandem in the league. I think when people say guys like Howard, Edwards, Daniels will simply not be sufficient it is because we had two pro-bowlers there. Then before them we had guys like Buckley and Vincent. The fact is Howard and Edwards did start on other teams. Why cant they start for ours? Bottom line is we are so used to having such high calibre corners that we find a need to improve the position that is already pretty solid.

Patriots had zero secondary last year look how they did. Panthers two years ago had Ricky Manning (doesnt even start anymore), Reggie Howard and look how they did. Pittsburgh had Chad Scott and Washington (i think), basically no one special, then two years ago when Dallas had the best defense they had Edwards and a rookie Newman. In todays league it seems QB pressure and scheme is much more important than two pro-bowl corners that eat up 14 million dollars of salary each year.

Sorry if this has already been said.

PhinsPhan said:
In todays league it seems QB pressure and scheme is much more important than two pro-bowl corners that eat up 14 million dollars of salary each year.

Sorry if this has already been said.

I completely agree. If we can get pressure on the QB, and play some more zone and confuse the QBs more we will be fine imo

I think you make a good point. Another good point is that this will be a different defense than what was run during the time you mention. If indeed Poole is out, it will be a blow because he was a physical type of guy and you just can't have too many of those.

Still, the need for great corner play very well may be reduced in Nick's scheme. We need to look to the Redskins here -- they had Bailey and Smoot back in 2003. Last year, they lost Bailey and didn't lose a step even though Springs isn't as good a player. Why? Scheme. The Redskins even talked like they didn't mind losing Smoot because they felt they could make the scheme work with Walt Harris. It's pretty clear they were bluffing since they did take Rogers in the first round. They're still starting Springs and a rookie instead of Bailey and Smoot...

I agree that if we can get JT and Roth in QB's faces we don't have to worry about our CB's and d-backs as much...I think we will be alright.

isnt chris akins who used to be with the pats on the phins?

Jimmy James said:
I think you make a good point. Another good point is that this will be a different defense than what was run during the time you mention. If indeed Poole is out, it will be a blow because he was a physical type of guy and you just can't have too many of those.

Still, the need for great corner play very well may be reduced in Nick's scheme. We need to look to the Redskins here -- they had Bailey and Smoot back in 2003. Last year, they lost Bailey and didn't lose a step even though Springs isn't as good a player. Why? Scheme. The Redskins even talked like they didn't mind losing Smoot because they felt they could make the scheme work with Walt Harris. It's pretty clear they were bluffing since they did take Rogers in the first round. They're still starting Springs and a rookie instead of Bailey and Smoot...

Springs effing dominated.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Springs effing dominated.

Springs was impressive every time I saw him, but come on -- we know the calibur of player he is. He didn't suddenly get part of the ghost of Darrell Green's old play just because he was playing in DC (okay, Maryland). Like I said, it's scheme. You do have to have the players for the scheme, and Springs was one of those.

Jimmy James said:
Springs was impressive every time I saw him, but come on -- we know the calibur of player he is. He didn't suddenly get part of the ghost of Darrell Green's old play just because he was playing in DC (okay, Maryland). Like I said, it's scheme. You do have to have the players for the scheme, and Springs was one of those.

I know what quality he is. He is a really good corner who gets hurt all of the time. He was the type of player when he was not hurt that would shut a player down causing the team to pick on the other cornerback who generally sucked big time in Seattle. There is a reason Springs was a top 10 pick.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree about this one. Even discounting the injury issue, Springs was never worth his draft choice. He's just another example of a non-shutdown "shutdown" corner in my book. Don't get me wrong -- he isn't Jamar Fletcher. I'm just not sure he is or ever was even as good as Smoot is, much less Bailey (and I'm no fan of Bailey's either).

Roman529 said:
I agree that if we can get JT and Roth in QB's faces we don't have to worry about our CB's and d-backs as much...I think we will be alright.

Dont get me wrong ... I love the idea of Taylor and Roth rushing from the outside ... but the key that is going ro really make this work is Carter going to the inside on passing situations.

I mean we have had a ton of DE production over the last few years without a major pass rush presence in the middle. Now we have one. I just cant wait till we see our first 3 and 25 on the year ... HAHAHAHAHAHA. Double Tayler? Double Roth? That leaves Carter one on one in the inside against an interior lineman. HAHAHAHAHAHA Will be nice to see a QB not being able to step up in the pocket to avoid the rush.

Is going to be a good year people. Even if we have little offensive production, will be fun watching our DLine destroy opposing OLines in passing situations.

Jimmy James said:
I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree about this one. Even discounting the injury issue, Springs was never worth his draft choice. He's just another example of a non-shutdown "shutdown" corner in my book. Don't get me wrong -- he isn't Jamar Fletcher. I'm just not sure he is or ever was even as good as Smoot is, much less Bailey (and I'm no fan of Bailey's either).

I guess we are going to have to disagree. Minus injuries he is better better than smoots. The problem was he was rarely minus injuries. Plus he lost a lot of speed with his injuries. Seemed to get it back last year

Shawn Springs when healthy is a slightly better corner than Smoot. Springs has just as good cover skills and is a great tackler. His injuries have been the old thing that have kept him out the elite status.

I think we'll be just fine in the secondary.

Quick question......whats the deal with people giving Reggie Howard so much crap?

Sure, he didn't have a pick last season (neither did Madison), but he still did a pretty solid job and I think he can start in place of Surtain. Just as long as Mario Edwards isn't the starter, i'll be happy.

Back
Top Bottom