WE have the best defense in the NFL. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WE have the best defense in the NFL.

Originally posted by DeDolfan

Oh sure, come up with another excuse.

Our D was tired, but their's wasn't i suppose. in our house, early in the season, hot, muggy conditions that we "always" play so well in??

Ya both D's should have been just as tired probably....but....since when is December 14th early in the season?

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
Everyone is so high on our immense talent, but when you look at it, JT and Zach were what 3rd and 5th round draft picks, ogunleye undrafted free agent, even surtain(arguably our best defender) was a second rounder. These guys have become better and better, we always get on our coaching for not doing the job, and a lot of people in here don't like bates, but let's be honest, we get the most out of our defense. They put up good numbers, they work their asses off, even though several guys are undersized or have had injury problems they still manage to come back and perform well consistently. I just really don't think our D is the problem and we shouldn't be calling them overrated, if for no other reason than that we can clearly win a superbowl with this defense. Last i checked no one called them the greatest Defense ever, just one of the best in the league (true) and that we can win a superbowl with them (true). we have far bigger concerns. Special teams is a bigger concern than D right now.

It matters not one ioda where a player is drafted or how he enters the league. What matters is what a player developes into. Some develope quickly, zack, JT, some take a couple yrs, OGun and some never......................... Fletcher/Avery !! ;)

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
I agree with that offense statement, a few more points, a little less time on the field for the d, a little less pressure. less turnovers putting the d in bad spots... then the defense would truly have a chance to be the best.

You are quite correct and this is why we need some serious fixing on the O.

Originally posted by MacAttack
Our Defense would be good if we could tackle correctly.
We need a smilie that hits a nail w/ a hammer because I would sure use it here! Bad tackling seems to be a huge problem all across the NFL--I guess everyone wants to be on Jacked Up/SportsCenter. Makes you wonder how many stats have been elevated for people because of bad bad bad tackling.

DeDolphan...what are you talking about? You think our D cost us the game in Indy?? Our D is the only reason we had a chance!!! We kept Indys offense from getting alot of points on the board I believe it was 21..Terrell Buckley caught an interception with a little over 2 minutes remaining in Indy territory. Then guess what, Griese fumbles and the offense loses the ball and Indy Kneels 3 times to end the game. THE OFFENSE lost us the game. The D NOT ONLY got us the ball back but they got it way into Indy territory. They gave us a chance and the offense blew it. The offense totally ****in blew it in NE we were scoreless, set a franchise record for punts in a game and looked sooo pathetic I couldnt even stand to watch. The D stopped NE every time they had the ball except when they kicked a FG that really wasnt good but the refs called it good anyways and then the offense ONCE AGAIN lost us the game by throwing an interception from our own endzone...then fiedler got sacked for a safety at the end of the game. The D kept NE from scoring ANY POINTS (NE's D is what put the points on the board. They put points on the board cuz their interception was like on the 3 yd line and they made a safety. Those are just 2 examples of how our D never let up and our horrible O lost us the game. We couldnt put any points on the board against Baltimore we barely pulled that win off...our O should take much more blame for everything...think about it...
If our O could score more than 21 points in 1 game how many more wins do you think we would have had we would have been atleast 12-4. Our D is great but without a decent O the D cant do **** to win us games. They dont put points on the board they keep other teams from putting points on the board.

this d is good, but their is a fine line b/w good and great. good d's keep their teams in games, great d's win their teams games.

Here is some of the info I have placed in numerous threads concerning our defence.

When crunch time comes we lack the heart to put teams away on offense as well as defense. Remember against the Jets in 2000, we were ahead by 20 points and lost in OT.

Miami has an avg ranked defense of # 5.25 in the last 4 years in points allowed. In that time they have given up 23 games of 21 or more points (record in those games are 9-14)...

03'(10-6)= 7 games, record 3-4 (avg 24 ppg), the other 9 avg 9 ppg.

02'(9-7)= 7 games, record 2-5 (avg 29 ppg), the other 9 avg 11 ppg.

01'(11-5)= 7 games, record 3-4 (avg 26 ppg), the other 9 avg 12 ppg.

00'(11-5)= 2 games, record 1-1 (avg 32 ppg) the other 14 avg 19 ppg.

Let us not forget that our talented Defense did not got get the job done in a few games over the last few years also. Giving up an average of 30 points per game on those bellow, oh and they still are above .500 teams, except for Houston...

03= Houston, Tenn, Phili
02= KC, Buff, Minn, and NE
01= St Louis and NE

Here is an interesting fact against DW. It has to do with the total rankings of both the O and D. Let's start with JJ tenure.

1996- O # 18, D # 27
1997- O # 4, D # 27
1998- O # 7, D # 3
1999- O # 8, D # 2

Under DW
2000- O # 28, D # 8
2001- O # 26, D # 1
2002- O # 26, D # 10
2003- O # 29, D # 22

I thought that the defense was presume to be our strong point. But as you all know they don't show up for the big games, Ten, and Phili, NE, Indi, and Houston.

Houston had 64 and 78 yds scoring drives.

NE had 54, 76 and 80 yds scoring drives. O. Mare could have help the team by getting the win. At least the last 1 play 80yds TD would have not happened. He would have bailed out our D.

Indi had 65, 72, 74 and 91 yds scoring drives.

Originally posted by Phinfan31
DeDolphan...what are you talking about? You think our D cost us the game in Indy?? Our D is the only reason we had a chance!!! We kept Indys offense from getting alot of points on the board I believe it was 21..Terrell Buckley caught an interception with a little over 2 minutes remaining in Indy territory. Then guess what, Griese fumbles and the offense loses the ball and Indy Kneels 3 times to end the game. THE OFFENSE lost us the game. The D NOT ONLY got us the ball back but they got it way into Indy territory. They gave us a chance and the offense blew it. The offense totally ****in blew it in NE we were scoreless, set a franchise record for punts in a game and looked sooo pathetic I couldnt even stand to watch. The D stopped NE every time they had the ball except when they kicked a FG that really wasnt good but the refs called it good anyways and then the offense ONCE AGAIN lost us the game by throwing an interception from our own endzone...then fiedler got sacked for a safety at the end of the game. The D kept NE from scoring ANY POINTS (NE's D is what put the points on the board. They put points on the board cuz their interception was like on the 3 yd line and they made a safety. Those are just 2 examples of how our D never let up and our horrible O lost us the game. We couldnt put any points on the board against Baltimore we barely pulled that win off...our O should take much more blame for everything...think about it...
If our O could score more than 21 points in 1 game how many more wins do you think we would have had we would have been atleast 12-4. Our D is great but without a decent O the D cant do **** to win us games. They dont put points on the board they keep other teams from putting points on the board.

Hold on a minit. First of all, I said, "possibly". Look at the context of the whole thing. Nothing about the O has anything to do with this. i'm aware of what happened on the O side then. Point i was getting at is the the final score was 23-17. indy kicks 3 FGs [a 50, 44 and 25 ydrs]in the 1st half for a 9-7 lead. Mt whole point about the yardage allowed thing is this. If we were not a bend but not break type, ie, stick it to them and keep them on their side of the field, quite "POSSIBLY' they don't get to kick a couple of those FGs and we at least tie them and maybe win it in OT. This is regardless of the misfortunes on O. Considering where the $$ are spent, we come to expect better form our D.

Another thing, where in the hell did I ever speak of the game AT NE? I was speaking of the first gm at home in miami. Read my posts before you blast away. But you do raise a valid point and that is that our D is not consistent enough for us to get where we want to go. most of that I blame on the coaching but that's another whole topic. why bring balt into it. I never mentioned them. I was only talking about the yardage we allow, altho not many points, and how lesser ydg allowed could equate into even fewer points allowed and may have won us 3, POSSIBLY 4 more games. if that was the case, we win the div, have home field and maybe we would've won yesterday. I understand what you're saying about if our O can score more than 21 pts. This is true and i already had a long post about that on another thread. But this thread was about the D and i was simply debating the fact that points allowed is not only where it's at. yds allowed can play a huge role in the points allowed which I think i showed how.
But i disagree that our D is great. As bad as our O is and for the $$ spent on them, they really ain't all that bad considering, if the D had allowed their average points allowed each game [like 16+], we win 3 more games with just the points the O scored. So yeah, when you compare apples to apples, i lay most of the blame on the D, next to you know who !!

DeDolfan,

I too agree with what you are saying and if you looked back at my initial response to this post...you would see what I think is the problem with the D...here is a recap:

"Section 126...I love your enthusiasm but the fact is that our Defense always folds when we need them the most...the Fins outlook and metality is the problem...

I just don't see that changing with Wanny & Co. still in Miami.

and 2 to 3 inside 5 years...shish...i would be happy with just 1 before my life on earth is over!!!"

With Wanny back...I just don't see much improvement...and I hope i'm wrong!!!

Originally posted by Sal Lisitano
DeDolfan,

I too agree with what you are saying and if you looked back at my initial response to this post...you would see what I think is the problem with the D...here is a recap:

"Section 126...I love your enthusiasm but the fact is that our Defense always folds when we need them the most...the Fins outlook and metality is the problem...

I just don't see that changing with Wanny & Co. still in Miami.

and 2 to 3 inside 5 years...shish...i would be happy with just 1 before my life on earth is over!!!"

With Wanny back...I just don't see much improvement...and I hope i'm wrong!!!

I feel ya, Sal!

While our D IS good, they're far from greatness and i too feel that as long as wannstedt is around, things won't change. I only hope that these guys won't be over the hill when Wanny is gone but I am so afraid our window is really fixin' to slam shut real soon. :cry:

I feel like most of you, that this defense is not worth the $50 million its getting....

This money is not for a "Bend but don't break D," it's for one that should be dominating in every category in just about every game. But we all know that is far from the truth. Points referenced below:

# 13 in FD allowed (17.7 p/g), 19% in 1st Q, 29% in 2nd Q, 21% in 3rd Q, and 30% of FD were in the 4th quarter. These stats coincides with the points scored against from Dolphin Digest and others. The 2nd and 4th quarters the defense have allowed most points....

# 16 in 3rd down allowed 81 (36%). The league avg is 36%...

# 20 in plays allowed (1014). This stat could be misleading, part of the bend but don't break philosophy, the O could be partially blamed for this stat, but its the D responsibility to get of the field....

# 21 in 3rd down attempts (222). Now this one is interesting, even though they gave up 36% (league avg)for FD.

Bottom line again is, we are not constantly getting our moneys worth from the defensive side of the ball. We are paying for a dominating defense and getting basically one that is a league average in just about every category except points allowed...

Thier d was tired we drove down the field on consectutive drives and just missed two game winning field goals cause are coach's were to scared to try to punch it in the endzone as usual. We gained yards on nearly every play on both of those drives. But once we got in FG range we just ran the same dumb *** play up the middle three times in a row untill are kicker missed both of them. Thats why i am glad Turners gone and Dave will be next year cause with him calling the shots at the end of the game we wont win. Thats why once NE got the ball they took a shot down field and oh my god it works but Dave is to scared thats why they have won 2 SB and we keep missing the playoffs.

Defensive juggernaughts who need to change a few schemes up and stop running only Man Coverage, Mix blitzes up (stop running into the line) and that would be about it. They by far can stop the run and they have got to be one of the fastest teams out there. NE has a good D but they have the bend don't break mentality as did Carolina and even Baltimore this year, while Miami lacked in consistency but could thoroughly dominate when they needed to. Minus Philly of course which was a rediculous fluke...

Back
Top Bottom