WE have the best defense in the NFL. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WE have the best defense in the NFL.

pat and zach were out but when NE losses countless players on D they still win...we can't say that the Fins are the best D...please...wake up...

10th in yards per game
forced the 5th most turnoves
didn't give up a 100 yard rusher all year
gave up the second least amount of touchdowns (23, NE had 22), listed as 26, but 3 of those were INTs returned for TDs
261 total points allowed puts them at 3rd in the entire nfl behind the pats, and 1 point behind dallas.

Not to mention our defense scored several touchdowns and set up several field goals/tds. we may not be the best in the nfl, but we are up there, please put this overrated talk to rest.

hey...with the TALENT on D that we have...we should have won a SB by now....that's why I say the are overrated...and you can't deny that when it counts the MOST they fold!!!

Everyone is so high on our immense talent, but when you look at it, JT and Zach were what 3rd and 5th round draft picks, ogunleye undrafted free agent, even surtain(arguably our best defender) was a second rounder. These guys have become better and better, we always get on our coaching for not doing the job, and a lot of people in here don't like bates, but let's be honest, we get the most out of our defense. They put up good numbers, they work their asses off, even though several guys are undersized or have had injury problems they still manage to come back and perform well consistently. I just really don't think our D is the problem and we shouldn't be calling them overrated, if for no other reason than that we can clearly win a superbowl with this defense. Last i checked no one called them the greatest Defense ever, just one of the best in the league (true) and that we can win a superbowl with them (true). we have far bigger concerns. Special teams is a bigger concern than D right now.

I agree but the main problem...imo is that this D folds when it counts the most...they have mental breakdowns...they can't handle the pressure...maybe if the O improves...it would take some pressure off our D and they would play more "loose" and not breakdown like they have done in the past!!!

Go Fins!!!

I agree with that offense statement, a few more points, a little less time on the field for the d, a little less pressure. less turnovers putting the d in bad spots... then the defense would truly have a chance to be the best.

yes...i got to admit that this offense does put the D in "bad spots" at times!!!

Dan the Man...I hope you're getting all of this!!!

Go Fins!!!

Originally posted by Sal Lisitano
yes...i got to admit that this offense does put the D in "bad spots" at times!!!

Dan the Man...I hope you're getting all of this!!!

Go Fins!!!

That's what I really think it comes down to. If the offense was reasonably capable of putting together sustained drives against these better opponents, we'd see a difference on D as well. The D probably goes into every big game EXPECTING the offense to suck (and they're proven right time and again). In a team sport, how can 1/3d of the team be expected to win every game against good opponents?

They put up the stats they put up this year on D with an inept offense. Them being overrated is probably at least SLIGHTLY precipitated by the fact the O can't do sh1t in big games. Few key moves this year and we should be looking fine.

That said....I don't know WHAT to say about that Philly game last year....that was just an abortion.

Originally posted by Section126
Is there any more doubt?

The Pats offense that nobody can stop gets stopped consistently by us..............

Carolina tried to copy our Defensive system and failed miserably against the Pats.

People, I am prepared to tell you all that if we can field a top 10 offense..........we will not only win a superbowl, but maybe 2 or 3 inside of 5 years.

You're smokin' WHAT?? Carolina failed miserably against the Pats? oK.

we've BEEN fielding a top 10 D for some time now and what has it gotten us?
I'd say there is alot of room for doubt! and it all starts with Wannstedt.

Originally posted by Section126
Our defense in the biggest game of the year allowed 3 points to that vaunted Pats offense.

On a day when nobody was moving the ball.....great comparison.
And then give up 34 to the Iggles while we were still in the hunt, to only send us home again. How about LY D collapse at NE that cost us the division. Wanny's Weenies strikes again!!:lol:

Of course they gave up a 80 yarder in OT there was only 1:30 left in overtime or we would have tied they had stopped them for damn near 5 quarters and are offense had plenty of chances to finish it. Have you ever heard of being tired. The Defense was probaly exhausted the shouldnt have been on the field that long anyways. So when they went long they didnt have the juice to stop it.

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
how can our defense be so overrated when are among the lowest in poinst allowed in the league. don't talk to me about yards let up, or folding in big spots, bottom line is they let up among the fewest points in the league, make countless big stops/turnovers...i agree with section for once, and it very well could have been us in the superbowl each of the last two years(i know we missed the playoffs), just hope we can find the missing pieces on offense this offseason to get us over the hump.

I know what you're sayin, D 17-0. When you have so much invested on the D, it's hard as hell to come up with enough O power to expect them to win a game when the D is flat. With that kind of $$$ spent, you'd expect them to never come out flat but yet they cost us the playoffs the last 2 yrs. Among the leaders in points allowed is definitly a better overall D stat to have by itself, but the overall stats tell alot. Giving up alot of yds suggest that we are a bend but not break type. What I'm getting at is that they don't seem to keep the other team pinned down deep. When Turk pins them on th 5 or 10 with a good punt, it seems that we always let them have a couple of firts at least to get them out of a hole before they punt and pin us back deep and we simply are not a good enough o to overcome much of that. Alot of long drives given up result in FGs and folks rant on about how good the red zone D is by not allowing many TDs there. point is that if we were THAT good on D with alot less yards allowed, then the points allowed will follow suit. Less yds allowed should result in less FG attempts, etc. If we had played better yardage D last yr, we probably win Houston, the 1st NE gm, Phil and quite possiblt Indy as well. These games were all within 1 score games so the D definitley had a direct hand in those losses.

Originally posted by Brad528
Of course they gave up a 80 yarder in OT there was only 1:30 left in overtime or we would have tied they had stopped them for damn near 5 quarters and are offense had plenty of chances to finish it. Have you ever heard of being tired. The Defense was probaly exhausted the shouldnt have been on the field that long anyways. So when they went long they didnt have the juice to stop it.

Oh sure, come up with another excuse.

Our D was tired, but their's wasn't i suppose. in our house, early in the season, hot, muggy conditions that we "always" play so well in??

Back
Top Bottom