We have the top 2 sackers in the AFC on the same team | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We have the top 2 sackers in the AFC on the same team

Gonk

Active Roster
Reaction score
Adewale Ogunleye - 15 sacks - 2nd in the NFL, 1st in the AFC
Jason Taylor - 13 sacks - 4th in the NFL, 2nd in the AFC

Boy do I hope we keep O-Gun. We've got the best two DE's in the AFC on the same line. Late in the season, JT and O-Gun were tearing QB's up. If we can get a DT that can have some sort of push up the middle (Tim-Bo and Chester aren't coming through), we're not going to have to worry about our secondary because the QB will be getting killed before he can throw.

I say we cut/trade Tim-Bo for some cap room, and let Zgonina start.

Are David Bowens or J. Williams big enough to play DT in rotation? These two guys always make big plays for us when they are in. Williams especially surprised me this year.

We have the best D-Line in the NFL right now, and both of these guys are in their prime.

I'd rather keep O-Gun then get a 1st. The draft is a crapshoot. You're looking for the potential superstar. O-Gun IS already a superstar. Unless we get Eli (who I think is a sure pick), brace yourselves for a potential bust and another wasted 1st.

Last edited by a moderator:
ogunleye 15 sacks
tayler 13 sacks

cant be true...you only played the Bills 2 times this year

Originally posted by donshula
ogunleye 15 sacks
tayler 13 sacks

cant be true...you only played the Bills 2 times this year

LOL! Good one man - Ill give ya credit for that one! Very creative!

Yeah - I know Miami had like 7 or 8 sacks against Bledsoe in the 2 meetings ...

So its really like:

Ogunleye: 11 sacks
Tayler: 9 sacks

Tim Bowens did a damn good job up the middle vs. The Bills.

Originally posted by Gonk
Adewale Ogunleye - 15 sacks - 2nd in the NFL, 1st in the AFC
Jason Taylor - 13 sacks - 4th in the NFL, 2nd in the AFC

... and we still didnt make the playoffs. More sadness to the truth. :( Somebody shoot Wayne Huizenga for me please.

I say forget the draft picks and keep Ogun. You just dont find guys like Ogun very much these days. Put a tag on him or tender him but i know he wont like the tender deal and it will come back to bite us next year.

As good as Ogun is, we have good depth at DE with D. Bowens and Williams.

Dump Tim Bowens? Well, we should renegotiate his salary - but he is the key to Zach Thomas. And, this team isn't structured to play with just two DT's - they need to be able to rotate b/c of the pounding they take trying to eat up 3 OL on every play. Without TBow, you will see Thomas' numbers go down.

I would gladly part with Ogun for a 1st and a 3rd (that's the compensation if we tender him the top RFA contract - $1.95 M). We need help on the other side of the ball! It would be a bit of a sacrifice, but the D could still be in the top 5-7 in the league. And, having two firsts to go with another 3rd gives us a lot more room to pick up a QB, WR and OL that can contribute relatively soon.

When you need multiple offensive linemen (2 to 4) and you need a QB and a WR, you are going to have to sacrifice something. Right now, this team is going nowhere with Ogun playing as well as he is.

On top of that, while he is a very good DE, I think he does get help from the fact that teams double on JT.

I hope we can keep Ogun, he is a good compliment to JT. Best DE combo in the NFL. If either gets double teamed the other should get the sack.

And three years ago, everyone said losing Trace would be a shame. Here's the thing: JT takes the pressure off whoever lines up on the other side of the line.

Wali filled in for Trace and someone (Bowens?) WILL fill in for Wali. He's a great talent, but Miami's DE situation will be fine next year regardless.

I agree. I say we tender him and let someone else do the negotiating. If it is osmeone with a high draft pick that we can parlay into getting one of the top two qb's then I sya we go for it. Bowens is a solid DE. He just needs to stya healthy, which is a big if. He cna lay the wood and actually even got a sack late in the seaosn in limited play. I would like to see what he can do on a more permanent basis. Bowens should stay as people are reporting he would take a paycut to stya on this team. That is always encouraging and should be rewarded. Perhaps
dropping him to third in the rotation behind Chester and Zgonina is best though. He is getting older and a little more injury prone. Besides, it isn't like he wouldn't play ever. The rotating thing we have is killer.

I also would like to see Williams back. I think we gave up a fourth rounder for hmi last year and it was worth it. Another good pickup if you ask me. Does every thing that is asked of him and never seems to complain.

Also, if O-gun does come back, I am happy with that too. You can't go wrong with JT and O-Gun. I just feel he would help us out more by getting us draft picks.

We have a lot of talented DEs. I think David Bowens and Jay Williams can get sacks, but neither are as good as O-Gun. I would rather have Ogunleye than draft picks, but he may cost us too much. If we lose him, getting a first rounder in return isn't bad.

And yet disturbingly, as "great" as our DE's are...when it REALLY counted in the important games, our pass rush failed over and over and gave the other teams QB the time to convert on 3rd down. This seems to be another example of us having great stats, but not "the overall picture". I contrast this with New England which did NOT have the gaudy stats, but got the job done when it counted.

Back
Top Bottom