We lost because the coaches didn't run the football. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We lost because the coaches didn't run the football.

Superself

If you want to, we can supply you.
Club Member
Reaction score
It is that simple. Same reason why we lost last week.

It wasn't Gus's fault or anyone else's. It is ultimately Nick's fault for allowing Linehan to initiate an air attack all game long. That is our weakness. Our passing game is sporadic at best!

Establish the run with the two thoroughbreds you've got back there and everything else will fall into place.

I agree that we ran it too little. Especially Ronnie. He has the power to turn a play with no hole into a big gainer.

If we had Pittsburgh or Kansas City's offensive line then maybe I would completely blame Linehan, but we don't. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. Out line is chicken ****.

Yea let's just run into 8 and 9 man fronts! I mean it's what Wanny would do!

If our receivers catch the passes we win that game yesterday. You can say that about every loss we've had this year!

I wouldnt say Gus is free from taking any fault. He did lose a couple of fumbles and made some poor throws. Our WR's had some big drops too. But it definitely seemed like we hit the panic button way too early. Tampa went up 10-3 and what do we do the next drive. 3 straight passes. Ridiculous especially when we have two great RB's. Dont get me wrong, I love how Linehan has started to open up our offense passing but there's got to be balance. We did not run the ball enough, plain and simple.

ohall said:
Yea let's just run into 8 and 9 man fronts! I mean it's what Wanny would do!

If our receivers catch the passes we win that game yesterday. You can say that about every loss we've had this year!

Every NFL team does it. You think Shaun Alexander didn't face 8 man fronts yesterday...LaDainian Tomlinson....Priest Holmes?? They face those same fronts...better yet, they face an entire defense keying on them every play. Yet they persevere!
We can do the same if our guys have established a mindset that they are going to run it well. As soon as you run scared because another team has lined up 8-9 in the box, that is when you lose.

Miami lost because they were outplayed by the Bucs. The Bucs offense outplayed the Dolphin defense and the Bucs defense outplayed the Dolphins offense.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Miami lost because they were outplayed by the Bucs. The Bucs offense outplayed the Dolphin defense and the Bucs defense outplayed the Dolphins offense.

:rofl3:
Yeah and the team with the most points wins right JM??

I disagree. I think we lost because we *couldn't* run the ball. 2 yard runs aren't giving Linehan a good reason to keep it on the ground. The production on offense was poor enough that halfway through the 3rd quarter, the game was well out of reach unless we were able to put the ball in the air.

Opposing coaches are not stupid. Frerotte doesn't have the ability to carry the team on his shoulders, something being proven weekly. The old "stop the run and make them pass" defensive plan is extremely effective against the Dolphins, and our opposition knows it. When we can grab an early lead, we can run the ball. If we fall behind, we struggle to run, and we lose. This is true in every loss this year.

If we are to run, the defense must be sharp throughout the first quarter to give us a chance at an early lead, otherwise, expect more of the same gameplan, with the same results.

How many times did penalties (and dropped passes) put us 3rd and long or 2nd and long? Or for that matter, 1st and 15 or 20? The penalties and dropped passes really changed the complexion of the game. Not to mention we ended up down 10-0 real quick. All of the above mentioned are going to limit the running game.

Superself said:

It wasn't Gus's fault or anyone else's. It is ultimately Nick's fault for allowing Linehan to initiate an air attack all game long. That is our weakness. Our passing game is sporadic at best!

Establish the run with the two thoroughbreds you've got back there and everything else will fall into place.
i completly agree.

and when you pass 40+ times, your just increasing the chanses of an INT. it was still close in the first half. Ricky and Ronnie should have been more involved.

but thats your offensive coordinator's fault. (but then again, yall knew what he was doing for the vikings....so i shouldnt be so surprised with his pass first offense).

Superself said:

I think having Ricky back hurt us. We went away from running Brown and did more swing passes. We should have run Brown 20 plus times.

Superself said:
Every NFL team does it. You think Shaun Alexander didn't face 8 man fronts yesterday...LaDainian Tomlinson....Priest Holmes?? They face those same fronts...better yet, they face an entire defense keying on them every play. Yet they persevere!
We can do the same if our guys have established a mindset that they are going to run it well. As soon as you run scared because another team has lined up 8-9 in the box, that is when you lose.

Shaun Alexander and Priest Holmes have good offensive lines and the threat of a good passing attack. We don't.

Back
Top Bottom