We will take Lee Evans if Andrews is gone at 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We will take Lee Evans if Andrews is gone at 20

miamiman13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
You will see our offense use alot of three receiver sets. This will open up the running game and make both safties stay off the line. It will help our OL and can you imagine Ricky running loose picking the holes while Dbs run down field trying to keep up with Chambers,Bostan,Evans. The 8 men in the box is the thing of the past in this case. Also Hank said yesterday that Feeley looks good and has been throwing rockets to the wide receivers in workouts. He said the wide receivers have had to adjust to his passes becouse he throws alot harder than Fiedler. I can't wait to see it in games!

I think that we may take Evans over Andrews anyway. Unless Slick Rick is trying to throw people off, there have been whispers that Miami is scared off by his weight issues.

With Mike Williams out of the draft, I do now wonder whether Evans will be around at 20. That may well depend on exactly when the run on WRs happens in round one and who is involved in that run.

Two things.

One, didn't Wannstedt say they wanted to use a lot less three receiver sets this year??

Two, Joel Collier has said that he wants to attack each opponent's weaknesses and make them adjust to us. Meaning, he will use whatever formations he feels will have a great amount of success against an opponent (at least he wants to). Kinda like Charlie Weis.

So we shall see what happens.

But I agree with the above. With Mike Williams being out (which is really unfair IMO), I think Evans will also go before #20. I feel like his stock had risen even without the Mike Williams thing. Of course now he ascends automatically.

I dont think Evans automatically goes before us.

Also, I think the phins might like Clayton more than Evans. His times didn't pan out but you watch the tape and you think of him as a fast guy...he plays fast, might be the "best run blocking WR in 5 years", he's very big...I think all-around he'll be a good WR. Evans runs the risk of being a one-dimensional type speedster. Plus if it did come down to drafting a 1st round WR, I'm not comfortable with it being a guy that has a history (good OR bad) with Chris Chambers. Chambers is in a contract year, he could construe drafting a 1st round WR as a slap in the face given the David Boston move. If we can't manage to put his mind at ease, then that could place two friends with a history at odds not only over playing time, but more importantly over money...because the faster Evans starts in his eyes the more he gets in that first pay-day in 4 years. So Evans will be looking to break past Boston or Chambers and if Boston reclaims his old form, Chambers is definitely the easier target.

And if Boston does become the target, there could easily develop a rift between Chambers and Evans, and Boston, who being the temperamental "she" that he's always been over his career, could start goin all crazy. Having a stranger step into that delicate situation gives you more of a chance I think to maintain professionalism.

I wouldn't cry if we got Evans I'd probably jump for joy cuz I think he'll be a great WR, but I would cast a wary eye on the whole situation.

You also have to consider that the best passing teams over the past 7-8 years are those with 3 top level receivers.

Minnesota with Chris Carter, Randy Moss, and Jake Reed.
St. Louis with Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, and Az Hakim.

The importance of the three wide set is much greater now than it was 15 years ago. With match ups dictating a lot of situations, the three wide sets are seeing more and more time on the field. If you are going to be a good passing team, you need to have three wide receivers that are capable of starting.

CK,

I feel much the same way about Evans, and I would personally prefer to see the team go with Clayton if they want a WR. Then again, I have never been all that much for the L. Coles sort of guy. I like wide receivers to be bigger than that.

KBISBACK said:
You also have to consider that the best passing teams over the past 7-8 years are those with 3 top level receivers.

Good point & a capable, starter quality 3rd WR that can step in and get some attention when one of the top two is out is huge. Otherwise, the defense keys on the remaining starter...ala Chambers without anything on the other side for the last few years.

I like Evans but IMO, he'll be gone by #20. I like Jenkins from Ohio State ... big, fast, 3 yr starter, no injuries with solid numbers in a big time program....did well in the Senior Bowl.

Are you pointing out that Clayton is lean? I like that. What I'm talking about is height. You can gain weight/muscle -- you can't gain inches on the vertical. Evans is 5'10"...Coles is 5'11"...Clayton is 6'3"

The fact that we already have one 5'11" guy only makes this a bigger slam dunk in Clayton's favor...I like Chambers, but I still prefer the big guys.

Clayton is really rising up the boards in the run up. He's one of the 5 hottest players around at the moment.

Boomer, are you sure you don't mean Evans? I've read a lot about Evans rising up draft boards. Not so much about Clayton.

Like another guys said. I think we might take Evans even if Andrews is still there. I don't see us taking Clayton tho I like him too. If not Evans, I think we'd take Woods imo.

Ozzy rules!!

Nope Phun, I mean Clayton. Evans has been hot since the Senior Bowl/Combine time, Clayton is getting hot again after the workout time. He's safely in R1 as we look at it and could go in the teens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a pretty glowing write-up about Clayton. Lee Evans continues to rise on the Scouts Inc board on ESPN Insider by the way, he's now a 94. I believe he started at like a 91 or something. They are sensing something.

Back
Top Bottom