Wednesday PM Camp Report | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wednesday PM Camp Report

Dude

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Today was another beautiful day to watch football. The skies were overcast and there was a nice breeze most of the afternoon. The players were going at it hard all practice and didn’t look like they were getting tired.

My overall impressions are: The offence is getting better, as there were many nice completions today. Jay is looking great. The first string rushing D is devastating. The only area I saw us get exploited in too many times is the LB’s in coverage.

They had another ref at practice today. He was fully dressed as an NFL ref but with shorts on . I saw Wanny chatting with guy before the session started, but he didn’t make a peep all through practice.

Jason Taylor was not on the field today. Neither was Pat Surtain or James McKnight. Tim-Bo was also limited to position drills. Wally was back practicing and was involved in all the drills.

When they started the position drills, I split time watching the LB’s and the D-Line do their drills. I spent a bunch of time watching the D-Line up close. Chester and Bowens got a lot of work doing the rip move to get past a blocker. You could tell it wasn’t their specialty as neither looked very agile… They looked much more dominant plugging holes on rushing drills.

One rep was great when the LB’s were practicing shooting gaps, the first team was playing the O while the 2nd team was running the drill. It was very odd to watch Zach playing QB and handing the ball off to Seau as a RB… All our LB’s look good in Run support, but all of them including Zach and JR have been beat in the open field 1 vs 1 with a RB. They are human.

Robert Baker went down hard trying to catch a pass from Griese that was way behind him. It took him a couple of minutes to get up and needed a little help. He must have been ok b/c he was back in after a few reps. He did not make the tough catch.

Jay looked really good again today. He and Thompson hooked up a couple of times, McMichael & Simmons. Thompson were his other favorite receivers. Near the end of practice, Jay had a beautifully thrown ball to Thompson right over #36 Donaldson. (Donaldson got beat a few times today)
On another play, with pressure coming from Wally and Seau, Jay got off a great pass to Thompson beating Buckley in Coverage. Nice throw and catch for a TD.

Griese had a better day overall today. He did make some poor throws, but no pics, a few nice completions and more then a couple of balls dropped on him .He still didn’t look like any kind of a threat to Jay though…
One of his better throws was a well placed ball that #8 Jackson caught by the sideline in the end zone for a score. He got big high-5’s on that one including Wanny jogging over to congratulate. He also had a nice TD throw to #15 Bellamy
One of Griese’s poor throws was on the quick out again .This time he was so gun shy of all the pics he threw on that route, he threw the ball way behind the WR by like 5 yards. Ugly throw…
He also attempted a QB draw and it honestly looked like Marino running the ball. Standing strait up and very awkward looking.

Great completion from Sage to #8 Jackson who went up high over #36 Donaldson for the deep catch.

Fletcher had a good play early on by smothering Chambers with good coverage and leaving Jay no where to throw the ball.

#2 Fryzel had a nice catch from Sage over #36 Donaldson.

Konrad got a few more balls thrown his way today. He had a well thrown fade pass from Fiedler go right through his hands in the corner of the end zone. Had one other ball he touched but couldn’t come up with.

Simmons had a couple of nice catches again today. With McKnight and now OG out of the line up, Simmons is getting reps with the first team. Jay had a couple of nice completions to him. On one play Jay hit him in stride and I watched him pull away from a shirt tackle from Zach Thomas. He has some definite speed. On another play, Simmons beat Buckley badly and Jay hit him in the numbers with pressure from #90 in his face. On one play though, Sam looked to be open in the middle of the field in the end zone. Jay rifled the ball in there only to have Seau break up the pass at the last second. Nice play by Jr on a sure TD.

Seau did have one bad play on a throw from Griese to Robert Edwards underneath the coverage. Edwards caught the ball and but such a move on Jr that he was left diving at air.

McMichael - several nice catches today. He also looked good on one play where he led his man (Zach) right into another defender (Seau) for a legal pic. This left Thompson all by himself and Jay hit him easily. I didn’t see that play again, so I’m not sure how intentional it was.

Buckley - had a couple plays where he looked great in coverage including a blanket job on Baker. He did have a bad pass interference on Tolver dragging him to the ground a little later.

Tolver - had a tough catch go through his hands (coverage by #29). He also had a low throw from Griese he slid to the ground for in the back of the end zone and couldn’t come up with - It is very frustrating to me that I keep hearing good reports about Tolver from the morning practices then I see him look very average in the afternoon. The biggest thing to me is him not coming up with the tough I saw him make in the mini camps. He did catch a pass from Jay for a TD where he got open then stopped at the goal line and Fiedler hit him right between the numbers.

RW only got a couple of reps today. He is looking really fast and looks ready for the season to start. He showed a nice balance of power and patience on one run as he waited for the hole to open then exploded through it.

Robert Edwards - looked very good running the ball today. He had several nice runs, and on his first attempt, he powered through a nice hole for a possible TD on the Red Zone Middle Drill. He has looked like a different player the last couple of days. I think he may be finally healed.

#22 Wooden made a good play on #47 Edwards, stringing the play out and forcing him out of bounds for no gain. On the tackle they both ended up sliding to the fence right where I was standing. I think I got a good close up pic…

#90 Rob Burnet was putting a lot of pressure on the QB today and got a couple of sacks. Him and #94 Dario Romero were the defensive stars causing problems on many occasions.

#91 Williams - had a great play stuffing the hole and making a big hit on Henry.

#27 Freeman - was in good coverage on McMichael and prevented a completion from Griese.

#58 Eddie Moore - looked good tackling #30 and bringing him right to the ground.

#29 Madison - had good coverage on Thompson on one rep causing Jay to throw it away. Great position by Sam.

Charlie Rogers look very good on a play where they shifted then put him in motion and ended up by the sideline as a WR cover by Seau. Jr couldn’t keep up with him in the open field, but Griese couldn’t find him. The next rep was the same play except w/ #26 Henry as the RB in motion and ending up as a wide out. This time Griese found #85 Donald Lee open but had the ball go through his hands. Nice throw by Griese though.

One note: While they were practicing the 2 minute drill, there was a play where the RB went out of bounds but they motioned to keep the clock moving. Some fan was all upset about this and the guy holding the down marker turned to him and explained that the clock only stops if the player if moving forward when he goes out of bounds. I never heard that before .Does anyone know what this guy is talking about? He was on the field holding the down marker and a play list, so he must know something…?

Practice tomorrow has been cancelled and replaced with a ‘light walk-thru’ at 11:45am before they leave for Tennessee. It will probably be short and boring so I don’t plan on attending. The next practice I will be at is on Monday 8/4. Do we have and board members from the Nashville area that are going to attend any of the practices and can get us some reports???

I took a bunch of pictures and some had to come out ok. I’ll take a look at them in a little while...

If the RB is being tackled and stops momentum moving forward and goes out of bounds... the clock keeps running.... the ball carrier must be moving forward out of bounds for the clock to stop.. he is correct..

Great report man.. Enjoy it alot..

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up RBAM. I neevr understood why in games the clock would stop sometimes when the RB went out of bounds.

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS
If the RB is being tackled and stops momentum moving forward and goes out of bounds... the clock keeps running.... the ball carrier must be moving forward out of bounds for the clock to stop.. he is correct..

Great report man.. Enjoy it alot..
Oh, Ok. So they are just calling forward progress stopped prior to going out of bounds, clock keeps rolling... Makes sense now. Thanks!

Great report, i Hope Ricky doesnt get injured this year....Please god!!!lol:pope:

clear.gif

Originally posted by Prime Time
Oh ok thanks for clearing that up RBAM. I neevr understood why in games the clock would stop sometimes when the RB went out of bounds.

Originally posted by Dude
Oh, Ok. So they are just calling forward progress stopped prior to going out of bounds, clock keeps rolling... Makes sense now. Thanks!

No problem.. :up:

Originally posted by Dude

They had another ref at practice today. He was fully dressed as an NFL ref but with shorts on . I saw Wanny chatting with guy before the session started, but he didn’t make a peep all through practice.

I've never been to a training camp, so I don't know sh*t about how things are conducted, but this talk of referees being at hand and the way our camp-reporters seem to cite that as appearing unusual strikes me like:

Dave is planning to instill more focus and discipline on the players as camp drills intensify and become more game-like, by having some refs at hand who will actually throw flags and keep everybody honest. May not stop the play, of course, but just make sloppy, questionable techniques subject to being called out.

If having pseudo-refs at hand in the later, serious drills hasn't been done in the past, then this would appear to be part of an effort to clean up some of the penalty problems we've had under Wanny.

Is this interpretation potentially correct, or are there things at play here I'm just not getting?

Great report Dude.

One peice of information that is ominous in its absence is the lack of feedback on Chambers. From the sound of these reports, it seems like Thompson is clicking with Jay more than CC. Is this true?

We desperately need Chambers to be the big fish in our passing game. I hope Norv finds a way to utilize him and he and Jay eventually click with one another.

As for the refs, I have talked to a friend that has been to a couple of camps and found out that the Raiders and the Niners have had the same thing going on.

Appearently the refs are hanging around with all the teams this year in order to help clarify rules questions and help the refs get up to "game speed" before the preseason.

Back
Top Bottom