Wednesday's Practice Part Two | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wednesday's Practice Part Two

Ozzy

Premium Member
Reaction score
OK lets get some more of these reports rolling.

I'd like to get to some more offense first.

Starting with the TE's. Alonso Mayes slow rode his bike during most of the practice, and McMicheal only participated in the run and catch warm-ups, and he was dropping nearly everything thrown at him. I'm wondering if he has some injury or something to that effect? Jed Weaver put in almost all of the work on Wednesday, and performed rather well, catching four balls, one being a nicely placed ball right over his head by Kustok. Shawn Draper got some work in but nothing worth mentioning. Mostly running routes to clog up space on routes designed for Wr's. As a matter of fact lots of plays in this offense use decoys of some sort. It worked rather well without the pads on.........

Now the Rb's. Ricky Williams still continues to impress me on his work ethic, something a NO's fan might tell you he has NONE OF, he ran the ball only a few times but he finds the holes real well, and with his leg strength he always seems to get that extra yard, even if held up by a DT! All without pads of course so until next month, we can only go by the fact that he is working hard, has a real good mindset, but just needs a chauffeur, to get him to practice.... it seems!

Robert Edward's made a couple of very nice runs on Wednesday, running right up the gut on one, then making a nifty cutback to elude the MLB, for about a 17 yard run. I like the way he looks but lets see if he can take a REAL hit or make a cut like that knowing he might get hit from behind by a lineman. Or more simply can his leg hold up with the Pads, Hitting, and much more intensity of the practices to come........

Travis Minor caught three balls out in the flat and turned one into a rather nice gainer, but other than that he and Leonard Henry did not get into the action all that much, with Henry actually getting no work, I did not even see him?

Robert Konrad ran plenty of routes and had a few balls thrown his way, making one really nice over the head reception, turning it right up field for a nice gain. They concentrated more on the FB's running routes today than I've seen yet, so I'm hoping to see lots more of this come July 25th. Maybe DCH might even be able to tell us how involved the FB's and TE's were for the Thursday report?

Now lets talk Defense......

First off the D-Line. Daryl Gardener took quite a lot of snaps for a guy they might be thinking of CUTTING! However, I did take more notice of his stance, and the way he was getting off the ball this time out. My thoughts have changed ever so slightly. To me he was not getting that instant push up field that a DE needs to have. Not on every play. He did get to the Qb a couple of times though. He does look to be favoring his back, so who knows what to expect?

Rob Burnett took me totally by surprise! He has some MAMMOTH ARMS, just as big if not bigger than the Freak himself, DG! No one on the team runs thru the lined up blocking dummies better than Jason Taylor, but I'd put Burnett at third best, right behind David Bowens! Blocking dummies might not sound like a big thing but it sure tells you who is fluid, and at the same time measures balance really well, while weaving in and out of them, knocking them side to side, and then trying to catch a ball at the end of it! Burnett got in plenty of work, and darn well could push DG to the limits. He comes right off the ball in an instant, which is what gives the Tackles fits. The only time I noticed anything that looked like a limp was when he was walking! So lets hope this guy can stay healthy, because he should be a big contributor on this line. Larry Chester clogged the middle rather nicely with T-Bo, I do however still have some reservations with Chester, having come from one of the worst D-Lines against the run last year, one that allowed Lamar Smith to ramble for over 200 yards just over a rear ago. But he has that build, and that low center of gravity of a prototypical DT. Lets see hoe things go with some, here I go again, PADS ON! David Bowens is another guy whom I have taken a liken too, not really because of his pass rushing, which is pretty good, but more for his ability to be one of the first guys downfield on ST's!! A guy his size rumbling, stumbling downfield like a maniac (screaming and yelling all the way downfield), you got too love it! Al Wallace made a couple of decent plays rushing the passer, and who knows, he might be a decent candidate for the PS! Not too much more on the line unless someone has some certain question of an individual player, I'll stop here!
AGAIN we all know that without PADS, there is NO WAY possible to access the lines play. No hitting, barely bumping one another = NOTHING in the form of trying to evaluate their play.

Now the DB's. First off lets say that on Wednesday they did not have the best of days, which can be expected from time to time, even on game day :( ...... BUT it don't mean they get an excuse from me!

On the play that Chambers in which he had to stop, Madison tried to jam him at the line. Chambers simply, or it looked simple, used his arm in a sweeping motion to slip right by Madison. He had him beaten very very badly. He knew he got whooped, and kind of woke up from that play on, but nevertheless he should NEVER get beat that bad! But you know what? Without pads on Madison is a dwarf compared to Chambers, so it might be fair to say, that Madison could have easily held up that jam much better had he had some protection....

Surtain is probably the best all around Db on this team, this coming from a guy that played Db in High School, and possesses two different color Sam Madison Jersey's! He has improved every year, and can play inside or out, he also tackles very well. He did get beat a few times on Wednesday, but he was not burnt for a Td, so he of all the Db's gets the nod for the having the better day!

Now lets talk Jamar Fletcher. This should not take too long! He had a terrible day. 3 or 4 wide and he becomes the Cb, so teams will be lining their star player right in front of him I'm sure. He never got beat by much but in a game of inches????? He has improved from last year, that's for sure, and he really takes the criticism from Mel Phillips well. He always looks the coach in the face, and seems to be gathering things in, unlike a Ben Kelly who would drop his head like he did not want to be scolded in front of the team! He's getting lots of work but if things don't start taking place with him SOON, the nickel and dime package could be the teams weakest link! I know it took Surtain a little time to be READY, and I do like Fletcher's style, but maybe the team might have made a mistake in not signing Terry Cousins, or anyone else! But Until we see some PADS ON THESE guys, there can and will be excuses to be made on each and everyside of the ball..........

Well, I've typed long enough, and I'm sure I might be putting some of you to sleep, so I'll end this part right here.

Anyone have any questions feel free to ask.

And I might do a small take on the offensive line a little later on but for now I hope most of you enjoyed the reading, and remember......the next time you will see my name on a report it will be WITH THE PADS ON!!!!!! Time is closing in on the next NFL season.

Peace to all.

Is there any thoughts about bringing in a veteran corner? Is T-Buck still available?

I will say this about Chester on the Colts DL. There was like nobody else on that entire defense that was any good. None of his fellow linemen, none of the linebackers, the safeties, CBs, really nobody.

I remember Chad Cota was being juked and carried by Lamar Smith all day.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I will say this about Chester on the Colts DL. There was like nobody else on that entire defense that was any good. None of his fellow linemen, none of the linebackers, the safeties, CBs, really nobody.

Larry Chester played for the Panthers. ;)

DOH!
clear.gif

Originally posted by BMarion31
Is there any thoughts about bringing in a veteran corner? Is T-Buck still available?
AFAIK - T-Buck is still unsigned - thought I heard NE wants him back though.

Originally posted by ckparrothead

:lol: Chester played for Colts......

Chester was the starting DT for panthers and he was having a very good year until he got hurt...I was watching Panthers-Rams game last season and John Madden made a comment on how Chester was having "pro bowl type numbers before he got hurt".//

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by BMarion31

I've herd more than once that T-Buck would love to return here.

Yeah I remember that too, but I also remember he was told he wouldn't a chance to start so he backed off......I think that was last year though?!?!?

Originally posted by FinaticalOne

Larry Chester played for the Panthers. ;)

Yes he did last year, but the year before he played for the Colts.
He had half a sack at Miami (12/17)... Was responsible for two stops in the Colts AFC Wild Card game at Miami (12/30).

Thanks for the updates Oz! :D In your opinion, based on everything you've seen and heard, who do you think will finally wind up with the #2 WR spot? My sense is the coaching staff is leaning more towards McKnight over Gadsden, but I'm just basing that on what I read. Thanks again for keeping all of here on the left coast and elsewhere informed. :)

Originally posted by Expo88
Thanks for the updates Oz! :D In your opinion, based on everything you've seen and heard, who do you think will finally wind up with the #2 WR spot? My sense is the coaching staff is leaning more towards McKnight over Gadsden, but I'm just basing that on what I read. Thanks again for keeping all of here on the left coast and elsewhere informed. :)

My guess is that OG will end up number two, because McKnight is more likely to be in the slot. And IMHO OG is much more reliable! McKnight offers a blend of speed and size, so I could be wrong.......and you very welcome for the updates! Trust me it is MY PLEASURE :D

Back
Top Bottom