We're gonna pick an Edge at #21 | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We're gonna pick an Edge at #21

Best positional value out of our needs. We're missing TWO starting edges. We signed one. We paying Chubb big bucks to be irrelevant in '22, incur costly penalties and get injured down the stretch in '23, when he'll likely also miss most this next season.

We don't immediately need a starting OT and iOL is a reach.

WR/TE/DB would be overkill.

We're going iOL in the second.

DT in the 5th. Maybe trade up into the 3rd for one. We already brought a lot of bodies at iDL and we can bring more after the draft. Letting Wilkins go also shows how much we value the position.

WR late.
Since you seem to know the future can I have the winning lotto numbers as well? The bottom line is neither you, I, or anybody else have a clue who the Dolphins are going to draft or at what position for that matter. So stop pretending like you do.

Grier is going premium position BPA or trade down, IMO. If someone like Quinyon Mitchell falls this place is gonna go apeshit when we run the card up, haha.

There’s better value at IOL in the 55 range, like Haynes, Mahogony, Frazier. Just don’t see Grier being the value guy he is going IOL at 21 overall.

Edge/DT is a really good bet though. Verse, Latu, Robinson, Murphy, Newton. Like Darius Robinson a lot in a trade down scenario as a bigger guy who can play with his hands in the dirt. Great versatility there and a fit for multiple shoes on this defense.
If we drafted another Corner in round 1 it will un-do all the good things Grier has done this offseason for me personally. He simply can't draft corners.

We need a corner too. But hes drafted so many busts, I'd rather he drafted a damn Kicker.

I could see us taking Latu if he is there at 21. I think Verse and Turner will be gone.

I would really like to trade down and pick up some extra draft picks. There is good value in the 3rd and 4th round of this draft.

Then select Robinson somewhere in the mid to late 20s.

We can then address the Interior OL in round 2. There is a good chance that Haynes Beebe or Frazier will still be available then.

Then address DT in round 3 4 or 5. Sweat from Texas is a DT I could see slipping to round 3 because of his weight. IIf we can get his weight under control he could be a dominant run stopping force. Jefferson from LSU could be a nice round 4 option. Boyd from Northern Illinois has been impressive in the pre draft process could be a good round 5 option.

I don’t think so. Chubb & Phillips should be back by week 1. We’re either taking an OT that can play guard for a year or a dt. Wr could be possible too. We need to look ahead a bit because Armstead and Hill will be gone soon
I don't know why everyone is so confident that Chubb & Phillips will be back early, by week 1 here in your statement, much less that they will be effective. I guaranty going into 2025 we will all be saying "and now Chubb and Phillips are two years removed from serious knee and achilles injuries so they should be back to top shelf form!" It just stands to reason they will either miss not insignificant time in 2024 and/or that they will be a shell of their former selves. For that reason and the ability to potentially shed Chubb's contract sooner than later a top edge player at #21 could be in the cards. A lot depends on how the FO really feels about Chubb & Phillips chances this year.

I would rather go offense and build that unit up into a juggernaut if possible but the FO likely thinks it can get an IOL and WR later in the draft so an edge in round 1 wouldn't surprise me at all.

Grier is hard to predict draft wise.

This will be first draft that we’ll get to see McD’s influence on high draft picks.

I just don't get the hate for Chubb. He is injured - thats football, and the timing was bad, but he was giving away penalties like the OP suggested. He wasn't irrelevant in 22 - he came to the team after 4 or 5 weeks, and he was ok, not great, but he opened Phillips to be more dominant, which he was.

That said, a DE is a major need. Not gonna argue that point. Chubb was still a good trade IMO.
I dont hate Chubb, I think he played well last season. That being said.....

The issue some folks have with him, is that we gave up draft picks and a major contract, things usually associated with game changing type impact players.

Chubb has been solid but hes not the game wrecker that all that money and draft picks would suggest he should be.

It's not Chubbs fault the Dolphins overpaid for him, but they did, hence the agitation.

I dont hate Chubb, I think he played well last season. That being said.....

The issue some folks have with him, is that we gave up draft picks and a major contract, things usually associated with game changing type impact players.

Chubb has been solid but hes not the game wrecker that all that money and draft picks would suggest he should be.

It's not Chubbs fault the Dolphins overpaid for him, but they did, hence the agitation.
Do me a favor and look up how many fumbles he forced last year.

Do me a favor and look up how many fumbles he forced last year.
No, bc that has nothing to do with what I said. I like Chubb personally and I'm fine with what we paid for him bc I see his value.

However, the perception some ppl have of Chubb will always be, he should have come in and had 15 sacks a season for at least 3 to 5 seasons, bc of what we paid for him. One of my lifelong best friends is one of these ppl, I've tried to argue on Chubbs behalf and nothing will sway his opinion. We paid, with picks and a big contract, for a top 10 DE, in his eyes and he doesn't think Chubb is close to that.

No, bc that has nothing to do with what I said. I like Chubb personally and I'm fine with what we paid for him bc I see his value.

However, the perception some ppl have of Chubb will always be, he should have come in and had 15 sacks a season for at least 3 to 5 seasons, bc of what we paid for him. One of my lifelong best friends is one of these ppl, I've tried to argue on Chubbs behalf and nothing will sway his opinion. We paid, with picks and a big contract, for a top 10 DE, in his eyes and he doesn't think Chubb is close to that.
Chubb currently sits at #10 in avg/year Edge pay...

His actual salaries in 2025 and 2026 are scheduled to be 19.5m, and 18.5m in 2027.

If he returns to last season's form, these salaries are not out of line, especially considering the current growth in the salary cap.

He's 28 this year, and should be in his prime for several more years. I think most people really misunderstood the fact that Chubb was younger than most FAs, and has more years left than some realize.

What happened to BPA? Drafting 2-3 round talent in the first for needs is not how you get to the SB. There’s gonna be some elite maybe all pro talent slipping to us but we MUST draft an edge.. wacko thinking

Tell that to Connor Williams.
The injury to Williams appears to be much more serious than the injury to Chubb. While they both suffered ACL injuries, Williams is reported to have also suffered injuries to other areas around the ACL.

Normally players can return from a standard ACL injury in 8-9months. The recovery time for Williams is reported to be much longer because he didn’t suffer a normal ACL tear which it appeared Chubb did.

The injury to Williams appears to be much more serious than the injury to Chubb. While they both suffered ACL injuries, Williams is reported to have also suffered injuries to other areas around the ACL.

Normally players can return from a standard ACL injury in 8-9months. The recovery time for Williams is reported to be much longer because he didn’t suffer a normal ACL tear which it appeared Chubb did.
Williams has also had a series of knee issues... meaning that opposed to a single twist/tear injury, he is likely suffering from long term damage.
Not the same thing at all.

Back
Top Bottom