What are the chances in your oppinion ? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What are the chances in your oppinion ?

dolphindan1970

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I have a question for all, and want everyone to try to answer, "non-predjudiciacally (sp) I have no idea if I spelled that right.. :lol:

Anyway, when you look at this team on paper, I really think we have some very bright spots. Defensively we have Taylor,Thomas,Madison and a few more. Offensively we have a good receiving corp, what should be a good 1-2 punch in Ricky and Ronnie in the backfield. I know Feeley has a way to go, but has shown "some" potential, but even if he does'nt work out we have another guy that has'nt be to bad of a QB in the past that is pretty fair in his own right.

Now, getting to my question, I personally feel this team has a legit shot to have a winning record at 9-7, and some years that will make the play-off's. But , even if it does'nt, if hings fall into place, could these guys do even better at say 10-6 or so, and get back into the play-off's after having such a bad year last year ?

I know, I know, maybe I'm the eternal opptimist here, and maybe I'm being unrealistic, but I have been a Dolphin fan since 1970, and every year I have that hope, and even after last year, I still have it this year. What do you all think, am I being to opptimistic? Thoughts, oppinions ? Thanks all !! :D

what do i think honestly?

Offense - will struggle badly at times, o-line will be improved but not enough
Defense - glaring hole in the defensive backfield will hurt us

overall we will win 5-7 games and have a top 8 draft pick spot next year

Well, that's an honest oppinion, and was exactly what I was looking for Slappy8800. You know, in the early 70's, when we went to 3 Super Bowls in a row, winning two of them, it was like we would always do it, or at least have a chance to be in the play-off's and have a chance to make a run at the Title. man, do I ever miss those years, thats been to long ago.

I am lucky, at least I got to see us win a couple Super Bowls. I really wish some of you younger guys could experience that feeling as well. But who know's, maybe this is the start of something special and we are back on the right path again. I sure hope so.

Umm... surtain's gone. Chiefs got him for a second and a swap of fifths

The Dolphins will be a better team at the end of the season but will struggle. There are too many question marks at key positions such as LT, QB, DT, and Safety for me to think that they're a 9-7 team. The biggest thing for me to think the Phins aren't a 9-7 team is the Afc East and the rest of the Afc. I think Miami right now as it stands will finish 4th in East, and I don't think 4 teams will be over .500 in the division so I don't know how good they'll be. If Saban gets the team to 8 wins he's coach of the year IMO. Regardless of record, if some how the team finished .500 in the division I'll be very happy. Also i'm gonna stand by a statement I made in previous posts, only one team from the East will make the playoffs IMO, so I think there will be a standout team, probably the Pats, the Bills and Jets in the 8-10 win area, and the Phins in the 6-8 win area.

Psychosikes said:
Umm... surtain's gone. Chiefs got him for a second and a swap of fifths
Man, I dont believe I did that ! :shakeno: I meant Madison. I am going to have to go back and edit my original post. Sorry, but thanks for the catch and assist, thanks

dolphindan1970 said:
I have a question for all, and want everyone to try to answer, "non-predjudiciacally (sp) I have no idea if I spelled that right.. :lol:

Anyway, when you look at this team on paper, I really think we have some very bright spots. Defensively we have Taylor,Thomas,Madison and a few more. Offensively we have a good receiving corp, what should be a good 1-2 punch in Ricky and Ronnie in the backfield. I know Feeley has a way to go, but has shown "some" potential, but even if he does'nt work out we have another guy that has'nt be to bad of a QB in the past that is pretty fair in his own right.

Now, getting to my question, I personally feel this team has a legit shot to have a winning record at 9-7, and some years that will make the play-off's. But , even if it does'nt, if hings fall into place, could these guys do even better at say 10-6 or so, and get back into the play-off's after having such a bad year last year ?

I know, I know, maybe I'm the eternal opptimist here, and maybe I'm being unrealistic, but I have been a Dolphin fan since 1970, and every year I have that hope, and even after last year, I still have it this year. What do you all think, am I being to opptimistic? Thoughts, oppinions ? Thanks all !! :D
I swear I have read this exact same post a few times now...

WitheringPlant said:
I swear I have read this exact same post a few times now...
Well, sorry if you have, but I cant get here every night and when I do its hard to search through page after page of threads and read every last one of them to see if it's been posted before. If you have read it and had answered before, you didnt have to answer again for some maybe that hadnt or wanted to, but since you did, thanks for playing. :D

dolphindan1970 said:

I wouldn't say you're being too opptimistic because there's still a possibility we could win 9 or 10 games, but I think we both know better than to "depend" on that. You're definitely being optimistic which is definitely better than being too pessimistic. :up: I personally feel though that our D has the talent to be Top 10 like we always are even with a new defensive scheme. As for our offense, regardless of who our QB, I think we'll definitely improve and be much better off than we have been since Marino retiring but I still think we'll definitely struggle. I really like our RB's and WR corps but our QB and O-line is still skeptical and a big question mark. Coach Houck will help our O-line tremendously and Scott Linehan will help our passing offense and QB's tremendously. I say our D will rank possibly Top 8 and our offense could rank as high as 15-18 perhaps. I'm trying to be really realistic though so I feel we'll win somewhere in the 7 to 9 games range with our D ranking maybe 8th and our O ranking maybe 21st but improving gradually.

As of now I am not going to make any predictions. I think this team if we can stay healthy will be a lot better than last year's. I think Offensively we now have a solid backfield with Brown, Gordan, Morris, etc. I like our FB pos. better with Evans and Martin. I liked Konrad when healthy but he just couldn't stay healthy. I would have liked to see him get the ball more but he probably would have been hurt more. Our WR's are better with Boston if healthy and Booker settled in. Our O-Line has had a year to somewhat gel and with the additions of Stock, Cook and a year up Rex's belt with a REAL O-LINE coach I think they will better. Just adding Linehan made us better IMO. I am so excited to actually see a real Offense. TE's were good last year I just want to see Lee hang on to the ball this season.

Defensively we have depth at DL. Addition of Carter, Holliday, Roth, Traylor etc. will be a solid DL. We will be a little weak at LB if we have an injury, but I was pleased with the way the youngsters played filling in last year. DB is a little shakey. I love Surtain and will miss him but I was not at all happy with his play last year. IMO Sam outplayed him last year. Although Sam didn't have a lost of picks he played great D. I will miss Knight as well. IMO he really came on in the end of the year, and while he wasn't the fastest guy he sure let people know he was there when they crossed the middle and in run support. I am going to wait till TC and the preseason to make my prediction. Alot can happen between now and then. I am really siked about the season and I think that NS will make a big impact on the team. Go Dolphins.

This team will go as far as our qbs will allow us to go. I feel as though we have the ability to limit teams to 20pts or less just about every game and theres no question in my mind we're gonna run the ball successfully.
As bad as the OL was last year I truly believe Houck will mold these guys. The talent is there, we just need him to squeeze it out of them. Personally i believe that after saban he was the most valuable offseason addition.
WR/TE there are no questions.

Like i said, i think it all comes down to how efficiently the qbs play. If they play smart and have games where they just do whats asked and go 18/30 225 or something with no To's, we'll win 10 without a doubt in my mind. If we have too many games with 3-5 TO's as we had last year we're probably looking at 5-6 wins again.

Back
Top Bottom