What are we doing with Surtain gone now? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What are we doing with Surtain gone now?

chelevaliente

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Please explain me guys, I think Pat is one of the best corners in the game, and to give him away for just a second round pick and also swapping fifth rounders doesn´t make much sense to me. Besides, I´ve been reading we´re gonna draft a young corner tomorrow, so why not keep the great veteran until he´s a free agent instead of getting a young inexperience guy???
Hopefully this is a great financial move for the dolphins, but either way, couldn´t the dolphins at least tried to get him an extension??

cap room was a big problem with surtain thats why he is gone

chelevaliente said:
Please explain me guys, I think Pat is one of the best corners in the game, and to give him away for just a second round pick and also swapping fifth rounders doesn´t make much sense to me. Besides, I´ve been reading we´re gonna draft a young corner tomorrow, so why not keep the great veteran until he´s a free agent instead of getting a young inexperience guy???
Hopefully this is a great financial move for the dolphins, but either way, couldn´t the dolphins at least tried to get him an extension??
Reasons for the Surtain trade:

1. Huge cap hit this year that might have forced us to cut other veterans so we could sign our Draft picks.

2. He wasn't going to get a big long-term contract here, so it is better to get compensation this offseason then let him walk next year for nothing

3. We are deep at the CB position, we still have Madison. Also Howard is a pretty good starter, and we have a potential star in our 4th round pick from last year Will Poole.

Nublar7 said:
Reasons for the Surtain trade:

1. Huge cap hit this year that might have forced us to cut other veterans so we could sign our Draft picks.

2. He wasn't going to get a big long-term contract here, so it is better to get compensation this offseason then let him walk next year for nothing

3. We are deep at the CB position, we still have Madison. Also Howard is a pretty good starter, and we have a potential star in our 4th round pick from last year Will Poole.

Amen.

chelevaliente said:

It's the difference between getting a 2nd rounder this year or a whole lot of nothing next year!!

Will Poole starts. We use a first-day pick on a corner who will battle with Reggie Howard over which one is the nickel and which is the dime corner.

DolfanDaveInATX said:
Will Poole starts. We use a first-day pick on a corner who will battle with Reggie Howard over which one is the nickel and which is the dime corner.

I think we should find a jewel in the 4th or 5th round instead of the first day.

Also, we are moving to a new scheme. As I understand, true bump-and-press cover corners are not as critical in this scheme. Therefore, we do not need the elite corners we have possessed for so many years.

DolfanDaveInATX said:

Reminds me of Jamar Fletcher. We dont need to spend a high pick on a CB! Maybe in day 2, but 1st day?

Nathan hit the nail on the head. Saban is implementing a more aggressive Defense, plus, the new rules for contact hurt a corner like Surtain who plays press-coverage/bump-and-run.

Back
Top Bottom