What do Next Gen Stats tell us about Dolphins WR room? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What do Next Gen Stats tell us about Dolphins WR room?

Finfan83nj

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Some yards after catch stats.

Preston Williams — 2.4 yards (5th worst total in the NFL)
DeVante Parker — 4.2 yards (76th among qualifying targets)
Albert Wilson — 4.3 yards (74th among qualifying targets)
Mike Gesicki — 3.9 yards (6th worst among qualifying TEs)

yards after catch is not only a WR stat. it's telling about the entire offense. besides, considering Fitzpatrick's penchant for 50/50 balls, those low numbers aren't surprising
Correct, comes down to the offensive scheme, and QB play as well. Fitz just tossed it up for Parker and Gesicki to make something out of it. On paper some of the RPO play designs, if goes as planned, leaves some of the guys wide open, or with minimal coverage.

yards after catch is not only a WR stat. it's telling about the entire offense. besides, considering Fitzpatrick's penchant for 50/50 balls, those low numbers aren't surprising
I thought the same thing right away - so many balls are jump variety. He can’t lead a receiver w his noodle arm.

I thought the same thing right away - so many balls are jump variety. He can’t lead a receiver w his noodle arm.
He does have have an AARP arm at this stage of his career, but in fairness, a lot of those jump balls were thrown to a general area immediately after the snap.

It's tough for route combos to develop, particularly against a zone, when the QB has less than 2 seconds to release the ball. Better O-line play will drive that stat as much as anything else.

Just one little comment - for those of who are not going to click the link and just want to appreciate the stat posted - you should be consistent with how you post them. For example "5th worst" tells me he was QUITE LOW but "74th of qualifying receivers" tells me he probably wasn't good but I'm not sure if that's out of 90 players or 140 players... kna mean?

Don't know what stats really matter for these receivers ... there's a new arm in town ... there's a new OC in town ... there's a new O-line in town ... things (stats) won't be the same w/too many moving parts ... could be worse but i doubt it ....
This receiving corps will be better if the O-line and running game is a threat and with the additions it's hard not to be optimistic .... IMO

Back
Top Bottom