What do you think of this "fair" evaluation on the Dolphins from a Jets fan??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What do you think of this "fair" evaluation on the Dolphins from a Jets fan???

Predaphin

Predator in the Water
Reaction score
MIAMI DOLPHINS
(2)-Eddie Moore-LB-Tennessee
(3)-Wade Smith-OT-Memphis
(3)-Taylor Whitley-OL-Texas A&M
(5)-Donald Lee-TE-Miss State
(5)-J.R.Tolver-WR-San Diego State
(6)-Corey Jenkins-LB-South Carolina
(6)-Tim Provost-OL-San Jose State
(6)-Yeremiah Bell-DB-Eastern Kentucky
(7)-Davern Williams-DT-Troy State

Eddie Moore is better than people think. The Fish could have drafted him later and there were better linebackers on the board but Moore gives Miami some depth at LB. I love The Wade Smith pick except for the fact that Miami is going to play him at tackle. He's better suited as a guard. Taylor Whitley is a decent OL prospect. I didn't like Donald Lee and J.R. Tolver in the 5th round. Corey Jenkins is a college QB who was converted to DB and now will be coverted to LB in the pros. He is 6'0 220 with 4.47 speed, so he's an interesting project. Tim Provost is decent value in the 6th, Yeremiah Bell is a risk because of his history with injuries. Davern Williams from Troy State is also an interesting small school prospect who played well in college next to The Giants 2nd round pick, Osi Umenyiora. The Dolphins had a quiet draft, picking up decent players but no real stars. They did address their offensive line depth nicely though. The Dolphins already have a solid veteran team, They are poised to make a run this season but it all comes down to their QB and their ability to come through in the clutch. They could have drafted a QB like Chris Simms for the future. It wasn't a bad draft, just nothing special.

Dolphins Draft Grade C

Doesn't take into account giving up next years 2nd round pick for a player who may or may not be on the team next year. That takes it from being an "ok draft", to being a BAD draft in my opinion.

That might be fair until training camp starts and we have some preseason games to really see what we have..I remember at the mimi camps and begining of training camp last year, people were reporting that Randy McMicheal was dropping a lot of passes and probably wouldn't stick around...We even brought in Desmond Clark, a known commodity, and next thing you know..McMicheals was lightning up the air ways with all these catches and his blocking all of sudden became good enough to start..and he held that position, despite the fact we had Clark and Weaver...So I'm going to wait before I judge this draft.

I think it's a generous evaluation. Moore in the 2nd was a reach. Sure, he's very athletic and will contribute, especially in our system which frees up our linebackers. But, frankly, we could have gotten him in the 3rd. We settled for special teamers instead of trying to find starters. While it's true that we have pretty good starters already, I just feel as if we gave too much for this draft class. A 2nd next year was worth a trade up, but not a project player. I'm interested, however, in seeing if Smith can play, and the Tollver kid sounds interesting, though I've never seen him play. Actually, I'm as excited about Bellamy as a free agent as I am about anyone we drafted.

I agree. The problem with this draft is not the depth and value picks in the later rounds. It is the selection of Moore at #49. That was the bone head move. Several other impact type players were available at positions of need.

The Dolphins had a quiet draft, picking up decent players but no real stars.

Thats pretty much the gist of it. The only thing I disagree with is that no I don't think we could have gotten Eddie Moore later, and no I don't think there were linebackers on the board who you could step back and say were 'better' than Eddie Moore. Certainly not ones that you could say fit our team better than Eddie Moore. At least one NFL GM went on record with a boston newspaper saying that he thinks Eddie Moore is a good pick where they got him, and aside from that Dallas, Cleveland, and Tampa Bay were all very interested in Moore and ready to take him with their next picks. Both Spiel and Wann insist Moore would not have been there at the end of round 2. Who are we to disagree when they have the potential to have so much more inside info than we do?

But lets be honest who did we draft that could end up being a star? Nobody really. Unless Eddie Moore looks like the second coming of Derrick Brooks and plays WSLB while Junior moves to SSLB either this season or next. I guess in the longrun Taylor Whitley could be a star on the inside, and Wade Smith has the opportunity to be a star at left tackle...but no matter what, its not gonna be like when we drafted Chris Chambers, and then the next year the exciting Randy McMichael. JR Tolver, will not IMO, amount to all that much.

Originally posted by fin-atic
I agree. The problem with this draft is not the depth and value picks in the later rounds. It is the selection of Moore at #49. That was the bone head move. Several other impact type players were available at positions of need.

It's starting to come out that he would indeed not have made it out of the 2nd round. Tampa Bay has gone on record saying that they would have loved to have had a shot at him at the end of the 2nd. Cleveland fans are pissed that they didn't get Moore (guess that was their target) hence why they booed the pick of Chaun Thompson.

The real story here is that the media whiffed and most draft sources didn't see this guy climbing the boards or didn't hear about his private workout.

Heck if Drew was his agent he would ended up in the first round (tongue in cheek)

Wade Smith with one year of NFL experience is our second round pick next year.....how is that a loss?

I don't think grading a draft is fair, period. How does anyone know until the players get a chance to play? Giving a team an A just because it drafted well known college players is bogus, just as giving a team a D is. Carson Palmer had 1 good season and just on that basis I wouldn't make him the first pick in the entire draft. How many big name QB's has the Bengals gone through?

Do you all have links to the stories that substantiate the claim that Dallas, Cleveland, and Tampa Bay were all set to draft Moore with their next pick? I looked without any success. I have seen it mentioned in this forum a few times and was looking to quote the articles.

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
Doesn't take into account giving up next years 2nd round pick for a player who may or may not be on the team next year. That takes it from being an "ok draft", to being a BAD draft in my opinion.

trust me, wade smith will be on the team. bank on it. in fact, you will see him at LT in two years starting.

Originally posted by ckparrothead

Thats pretty much the gist of it. The only thing I disagree with is that no I don't think we could have gotten Eddie Moore later, and no I don't think there were linebackers on the board who you could step back and say were 'better' than Eddie Moore. Certainly not ones that you could say fit our team better than Eddie Moore. At least one NFL GM went on record with a boston newspaper saying that he thinks Eddie Moore is a good pick where they got him, and aside from that Dallas, Cleveland, and Tampa Bay were all very interested in Moore and ready to take him with their next picks. Both Spiel and Wann insist Moore would not have been there at the end of round 2. Who are we to disagree when they have the potential to have so much more inside info than we do?

But lets be honest who did we draft that could end up being a star? Nobody really. Unless Eddie Moore looks like the second coming of Derrick Brooks and plays WSLB while Junior moves to SSLB either this season or next. I guess in the longrun Taylor Whitley could be a star on the inside, and Wade Smith has the opportunity to be a star at left tackle...but no matter what, its not gonna be like when we drafted Chris Chambers, and then the next year the exciting Randy McMichael. JR Tolver, will not IMO, amount to all that much.

if tolver wont amount to much, who will? here is the deal. what will sam simmons give us? not much unless he shows charlie rogers the door. i dont think the chances are high that will happen. if you think robert baker should have been around last year, your wrong, and i still dont know why he is still around. who will be the fourth WR? i say this tolver kid has something. i liked everything that i read about him. i liked the one clip i saw of him. looked like chambers going up in the corner. and i m hear to tell ya CK, Don Lee will make heads turn.

Originally posted by inFINSible
Wade Smith with one year of NFL experience is our second round pick next year.....how is that a loss?

Because people tend to have poor mathmatical skills. Ask many fans what Greenwood cost, and they will still say " a second AND third round pick". Rather than looking at a second round price for Smith, they see next years second AND this years third as the price. Go figure.

Right now I have our top 3 receivers being Chambers, Thompson, and McKnight and there's no way Tolver beats any of those 3.

Our 4th WR isn't even on the roster yet, but Dave has hinted at the fact that we are NOT done at WR yet and a veteran, or two, will be on the way...I think that vet will end up being OG by the time all is said and done.

Our 5th WR right now is Charlie Rogers, he makes the team and he's being considered as a WR not a RB. DW has already said that they plan on working him into a few packages on offense, out of the slot...not that he will be the primary guy manning the slot, but nonetheless he will be active for games and he will be in the WR corp.

So, if we keep 5 WRs as usual, that means Tolver has to beat whatever veteran we pick up be it OG or Marcus Robinson or Germane Crowell.

And if we keep 6 WRs, which I think we will to be completely honest, then I believe Tolver will have to compete against Sam Simmons who ALSO by the way was picked at the end of round 5 and has a full season of practice squad experience under his belt, he will have to compete against Robert Baker who is just tearing it up in NFL Eu, and he will have to compete against Kendall Newson. I just don't think thats a battle he wins, in fact I think its a battle that Kendall Newson wins based on his special teams versatility, and the fact that Dave Wannstedt has glowingly called this kid the best WR in NFL Europe and the world league...Baker is beating him in stats but DW only mentioned Baker as like an afterthought.

I just think its an uphill battle for Tolver.

Back
Top Bottom