What does everyone think about a system of spit backs... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What does everyone think about a system of spit backs...

One feature guy works better, no question. There are good Running bscks everywhere, see Samkon Gado, Willie Parker, ect.

it didnt work at all last year, but they probably didnt practice it as much as they could have, i remember the reports that they only were practcing it for a few weeks before they implemented it, ronnie is a great blocking back, but still, the traditional one back is the best policy. the split should be in rare circumstances.

My thought on that was if our o-line improved so the backs weren't being hit a yard deep it might work. We never really dominated with our run blocking, it's that our backs are just killer. I think we need to give it a chance to work with an improved o-line before we pass judgement. There were really very few options available no matter the threat because we couldn't execute. We couldn't fake to one and then handoff to the other guy because we were already blown up. Setting aside the qb issue, if we can improve our run blocking we will have the most powerful running game in the NFL.

I think Ronnie will be much more involved in the passing game this year. I don't think Saban wanted him to learn how to run AND catch in the NFL in his rookie season, especially after Ronnie had early trouble adjusting to the speed of the game.

Imagine if we had put the passing playbook on Ronnie's back while he was still trying to adjust to the speed of the game and establish his ability as a runner in the NFL -- wouldn't have been good IMO. He probably would've been mediocre at both jobs instead of excelling at one, and it may have had a long-term effect on his confidence as a runner in the league.

Now that Ronnie's established his ability to run in the league, I think we'll see him expand his repertoire into the passing game, which will open up more possibilities for R & R.

Back
Top Bottom