What does Flores know about Raekwon Davis that we don't? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What does Flores know about Raekwon Davis that we don't?

Russ57

Active Roster
Reaction score
Could be I didn't see how he reacted to other draft picks. Could be I'm dead wrong about Raekwon. I was surprised by the pick and extremely amazed by Flores reaction. You would have thought he just got the steal of the draft.

Needless to say I wasn't in favor of the pick. What am I missing? I know he is physically impressive and had a good first year. After that ..... well better to keep my mouth shut if I can't say good things.

Please help me change my mind.

Could be I didn't see how he reacted to other draft picks. Could be I'm dead wrong about Raekwon. I was surprised by the pick and extremely amazed by Flores reaction. You would have thought he just got the steal of the draft.

Needless to say I wasn't in favor of the pick. What am I missing? I know he is physically impressive and had a good first year. After that ..... well better to keep my mouth shut if I can't say good things.

Swiss army knife on the defensive line. Can play multiple roles, huge man who can take up space as a NT. Great against the run, can be *great pass rusher, as seen in 2017. Hes basically perfect for the type of scheme we run. He used to have a first round grade. Some maturity issues and lack of effort his last season played a part in him dropping.

The guy has Aron Donald type talent but that was 2 years ago you saw that kind of player. I think Flo feels he is getting that player from 2 years ago.

Say what you feel man ,,,it was a **** pick but not as bad as the Robert Hunt pick

Freak of an athlete with super long arms and size...drafted on potential ..put that guy on the edge and nobody is running on that side.

Don't be afraid of a gamble once in a while. We aren't drafting the Eric Kumerow types anymore

Right.

He also was the 5th player the Dolphins drafted.

They have a higher margin for error than many other franchises in this particular draft.

To me you're looking at a player whose contributions in the scheme aren't easily quantified, but are felt.

That's a really good draft pick, IMO.

Good way to put it, CK. Think it was Renner that said he would have been a Top 10 pick 20 years ago, because he's so good at eating up blockers and stuffing the run.

For most D's, the value of that has fallen off considerably, but for a team that wants to play 6 or 7 DB's 90% of the time, you need to counterbalance the size you're yielding in the back 7. His ability to eat up blockers should also be helpful on stunts and blitzes, so while I don't see much upside for him as a Pass Rusher (especially compared to guys like Jordan Elliott), he projects to contribute to the team's pass rush.

After Brown, Davis is probably the hardest DT to move off his spot in the class. For this reason, I see him as a pretty safe projection. Take Kinlaw, who a lot of people wanted, as a point of contrast. While he obviously shows more burst through the line, and despite weighing about 15 lbs more than Davis, he has a ton of plays (a ton!) where OL either drive him 10 yards off the ball or bury him in the dirt. That's a problem, especially for teams like Miami and NE. I try to make my boards specific to Miami and what they're doing, but I think I'm still leaning too far toward general NFL trends and not enough toward what Miami needs/wants from its players.

To me you're looking at a player whose contributions in the scheme aren't easily quantified, but are felt.

That's a really good draft pick, IMO.
Kudos to Grier for staying at #5 and landing Tua without further compensation.
But beyond this - I was underwhelmed and uninspired.

I thought we reached at several positions. Now granted and disclaimer, we are not professionals and most of this is uncertain -- but there are evaluators out there- ie Jeremiah (he has a top 150 for a reason).

In a draft that we shouldve controlled and maneuvered, we end up with OT#5, RG#1 DT#5 FS#6? Not good enough.
We could've had C1, FS1, RB1-2, RG2-3, RT3-4 etc

In the alternative, I think we could've maneuvered for OT1-4 or WR1-2...

In a draft that we shouldve controlled and maneuvered, we end up with OT#5, RG#1 DT#5 FS#6? Not good enough.
We could've had C1, FS1, RB1-2, RG2-3, RT3-4 etc

In the alternative, I think we could've maneuvered for OT1-4 or WR1-2...
But what are those numbers and rankings based on? C1 according to who?

You’re right that we could easily have had more value based on conventional or consensus mocks or rankings, but it should be obvious that they aren’t drafting based on that.

It’s easy and tempting to say that after Tua we could have had Chaisson, McKinney, Dobbins, Kristian Fulton and Josh Jones, and point to the value based on mock drafts and big boards, but they aren’t relevant to what Flores and Grier value.

But what are those numbers and rankings based on? C1 according to who?

You’re right that we could easily have had more value based on conventional or consensus mocks or rankings, but it should be obvious that they aren’t drafting based on that.

It’s easy and tempting to say that after Tua we could have had Chaisson, McKinney, Dobbins, Kristian Fulton and Josh Jones, and point to the value based on mock drafts and big boards, but they aren’t relevant to what Flores and Grier value.
Well with regards to Center1 - I think there is a fair consensus and it’s just my opinion that it was Ruiz.

Beyond this, I mean this a fan forum no?
So basically it’s just my opinion which is worth absolutely ZILCH/ NADA. We are just shooting the sh-t and I would’ve attacked the board differently.

Back
Top Bottom