What Flores wants in next Offensive Coordinator | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Flores wants in next Offensive Coordinator

PokerBrian

Active Roster
Reaction score
Quote from Flores on what he wants from an OC hire.

"I want them to build together. Learn who he is as a person first and what he does well as a player," Flores said of his next coordinator. "But I don't want a coach who can only coach the QB -- we've got to coach the whole offense, the line, backs, tight ends, receivers.

"We need someone who is aligned with my vision with the team. Someone who is going to accentuate the strengths of the players we have on the team."

Sounds to me he wants a players coach that isn't necessarily a qb guru but someone that is well rounded and not stuck in one type of system. Somebody that will run an offense that plays to our offensive players strengths instead of having to get players that fit a particular system.

I'm no expert but the one guy that seems to fit that description and a guy that has some OC experience is Pep Hamilton. That said im not sure about his offensive philosophy but the little I looked into him he seems to be a well liked coach that was the scapegoat when fired as the OC of the colts in 2015.

Here's a couple of quotes about Hamilton when his first year in Indy.

Guys like T.Y. Hilton are not suited for a Walshonian West Coast scheme. Thus, like the great Tom Moore did in 1998 with a rookie Peyton Manning, Hamilton seems to be tailoring his offense to fit his personnel.

A little more about the offensive system.

"For me, someone who’s played in kind of the West Coast verbage a good part of my career, the plays, I am swimming learning this playbook right now. It’s not just cookie cutter West Coast like people would say at all. They are putting a lot on every player."

Hasselbeck said they’ve already looked at about a dozen personnel groupings.

This is great insight by Hasselbeck, and from what I am hearing coming out of these offseason meeting and workouts, Hamilton is coming across as energetic, bright, and inventive.

A little more about what colts used when he was OC.

If you want yet another short description of what a West Coast Offense is, I offer up Paul Kuharsky's excellent summation:

While Arians really pushed the ball downfield, Hamilton’s philosophy has traditionally included West Coast elements, with a run game setting up play-action and more short, high-percentage throws for the quarterback.

When I saw Hasselbeck mention "a dozen personnel groupings," that sounded very similar to the Stanford offenses I watched in 2011 under the direction of senior quarterback Andrew Luck and his coordinator, Pep Hamilton.

With his coaching experience being a players coach being inventive and able to scheme an offense that fits his personnel it sounds like he's meeting many if not all of what Coach Flo is looking for in the next OC.

I have no idea why Flores' quotes only seem to fit Hamilton to you.

My concern with Hamilton is he might just have the largest track record of failure of any of the candidates. Granted, some of that is a result of being afforded so much opportunity at a young age.

Here's a couple of quotes about Hamilton when his first year in Indy.

Guys like T.Y. Hilton are not suited for a Walshonian West Coast scheme. Thus, like the great Tom Moore did in 1998 with a rookie Peyton Manning, Hamilton seems to be tailoring his offense to fit his personnel.

A little more about the offensive system.

"For me, someone who’s played in kind of the West Coast verbage a good part of my career, the plays, I am swimming learning this playbook right now. It’s not just cookie cutter West Coast like people would say at all. They are putting a lot on every player."

Hasselbeck said they’ve already looked at about a dozen personnel groupings.

This is great insight by Hasselbeck, and from what I am hearing coming out of these offseason meeting and workouts, Hamilton is coming across as energetic, bright, and inventive.

A little more about what colts used when he was OC.

If you want yet another short description of what a West Coast Offense is, I offer up Paul Kuharsky's excellent summation:

While Arians really pushed the ball downfield, Hamilton’s philosophy has traditionally included West Coast elements, with a run game setting up play-action and more short, high-percentage throws for the quarterback.

When I saw Hasselbeck mention "a dozen personnel groupings," that sounded very similar to the Stanford offenses I watched in 2011 under the direction of senior quarterback Andrew Luck and his coordinator, Pep Hamilton.

With his coaching experience being a players coach being inventive and able to scheme an offense that fits his personnel it sounds like he's meeting many if not all of what Coach Flo is looking for in the next OC.
Personally, I'm a believer in the WC, but it is almost the polar opposite of what a lot of ppl are saying they want.

The WC doesn't "push" the ball downfield at all. What it does do, is set up chunk yard passing plays through scheme through manipulation. It's base is the oft pooh poohed "nickle and dime" approach.

Before someone tells me that was Walsh's "old" WC, and it's different now, It isn't philosophically. The big difference lies in the use of WRs and TEs in place of the pass catching FB.

I do agree, WC fits Tua's skill set.

All the candidates (so far) all come from backgrounds of stretch run based offenses and building off of playaction even Godsey and Studesville. Also all have extensive backgrounds in using presnap motions and bunches to create space

IMO our OL personnel fits a power running scheme better than a zone running scheme. I don't think Kindley and Flowers have the feet for zone blocking. IMO that suggests Canada over McDaniel among the outside guys. I have no read on what Godsey or Studsville would favor. Hamilton is 5th on my list.

Tua excelled in Sarkesian's scheme. IMO the hall marks that suited Tua was the quick passes and quick reads, but also the deep shots. Tua was very aggressive attacking downfield when he read that pre-snap. There were so many cases where while I watched the film my thought was check down but Tua attacked deep. Tua always reminded me of watching Montana play (similar feet, quick and smooth release on those shorter passes, many of the same plays, etc), but Tua was much more inclined to push the ball downfield. I think that's just Tua's personality. Sarkesian also added the RPO to suit Tua's abilities, which I don't recall seeing from the old Walsh WC.

Quote from Flores on what he wants from an OC hire.

"I want them to build together. Learn who he is as a person first and what he does well as a player," Flores said of his next coordinator. "But I don't want a coach who can only coach the QB -- we've got to coach the whole offense, the line, backs, tight ends, receivers.

"We need someone who is aligned with my vision with the team. Someone who is going to accentuate the strengths of the players we have on the team."

Sounds to me he wants a players coach that isn't necessarily a qb guru but someone that is well rounded and not stuck in one type of system. Somebody that will run an offense that plays to our offensive players strengths instead of having to get players that fit a particular system.

I'm no expert but the one guy that seems to fit that description and a guy that has some OC experience is Pep Hamilton. That said im not sure about his offensive philosophy but the little I looked into him he seems to be a well liked coach that was the scapegoat when fired as the OC of the colts in 2015.

Wonder if either of those bolded hint at the reason he's on his 3rd OC?

Wonder if either of those bolded hint at the reason he's on his 3rd OC?
Fair enough, but one would think Flo's vision of what he wants to do offensively would have been discussed in any interview/conversation with a perspective candidate.

I think his choices were very limited his first year, so he went with O'Shea. My guess is he wasn't cutting it from a gameplanning and adjustments standpoint.

I do think, this time, he will put greater emphasis on a guy that is younger, more energetic, and more relatable to the players, than perhaps Chan was.

On the other hand, if ppl think Flo is not the one setting the overall offensive philosophy, I think they are mistaken.

Fair enough, but one would think Flo's vision of what he wants to do offensively would have been discussed in any interview/conversation with a perspective candidate.

I think his choices were very limited his first year, so he went with O'Shea. My guess is he wasn't cutting it from a gameplanning and adjustments standpoint.

I do think, this time, he will put greater emphasis on a guy that is younger, more energetic, and more relatable to the players, than perhaps Chan was.

On the other hand, if ppl think Flo is not the one setting the overall offensive philosophy, I think they are mistaken.
Studesville is getting it

IMO our OL personnel fits a power running scheme better than a zone running scheme. I don't think Kindley and Flowers have the feet for zone blocking. IMO that suggests Canada over McDaniel among the outside guys. I have no read on what Godsey or Studsville would favor. Hamilton is 5th on my list.

Tua excelled in Sarkesian's scheme. IMO the hall marks that suited Tua was the quick passes and quick reads, but also the deep shots. Tua was very aggressive attacking downfield when he read that pre-snap. There were so many cases where while I watched the film my thought was check down but Tua attacked deep. Tua always reminded me of watching Montana play (similar feet, quick and smooth release on those shorter passes, many of the same plays, etc), but Tua was much more inclined to push the ball downfield. I think that's just Tua's personality. Sarkesian also added the RPO to suit Tua's abilities, which I don't recall seeing from the old Walsh WC.

good post. Tua is one of the most aggressive downfield passers I’ve seen in a long time come out.

I'd only respond by saying it's one thing to SAY the right things in an interview and another to have a performance to match the interview

I'd only respond by saying it's one thing to SAY the right things in an interview and another to have a performance to match the interview
That is so true but what purpose does it serve in the long run?

Human nature, I guess, to say what someone wants to hear. It's a bad way to start any relationship, and rarely works out successfully.

Back
Top Bottom