What happen to the transition tag? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What happen to the transition tag?

PhinKev

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This is a question for the cap-ologists around here. As far as I can tell, no one is really using the "transition" tag to try and keep anyone. As far as I know the Dolphins haven't used it years. IS it still around? If it is, why isn't anyone using it?

Thanks in advance.

i thought we used transition tag this year on ogunleye. it forces him to sign one year 335,000

No...Ogunleye was an Exclusive Rights player, thus the 335,000, he has no place to go..he has no options until next year...

The transition tag is still used - but just like the Franchise tag, each situation dictates use or no use. There could easily be a year when no team uses it.

Here's an explanation of sorts

"a team can give a player one of three designations -- an exclusive-rights franchise tag, which means he cannot negotiate with another team and could at the very least re-sign with his original club for one year at the average of the top five league-wide salaries at his position; a standard franchise tag, which means he is entitled to the same salary for a year, but another team could sign him as long as it gives his original club two first-round draft picks, and a transition tag, which means the player could at the very least re-sign with his original club for one year at the average of the top 10 salaries at his position and would have seven days to match any contract offer he receives from another team.

Got that? Oh, and it is also possible for a team to trade a player with a franchise tag, but must do so the same day the player signs the one-year franchise agreement or will be responsible for that player's cap figure.

"

Originally posted by PhinKev
This is a question for the cap-ologists around here. As far as I can tell, no one is really using the "transition" tag to try and keep anyone. As far as I know the Dolphins haven't used it years. IS it still around? If it is, why isn't anyone using it?

Thanks in advance.

Here's a link to the whole CBA. good stuff for the off season!

http://www.nflpa.org/media/main.asp?subPage=CBA+Complete

Back
Top Bottom