What happens if Cutler has a great season? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What happens if Cutler has a great season?

finsgonewild

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
What happens if Cutler has a great year? Do you keep both quarterbacks next year or do you hope Tannehill gets healthy? Cutler had his best year under Gase and it wouldn't surprise me if he had a great year considering how talented our team is, aside from the offensive line. If our offensive line is able to at least be mediocre, then I don't see why he couldn't bring us to the playoffs. A lot of people seem to be down on Cutler, but really I don't know why. In 2015 he put up his best season with Gase as his coordinator. So what do we do for next year if Cutler has a great season and leads us deep into the playoffs? Do you keep him, take your chances with Tannehill and hope he gets healthy, or try to keep both?

Ya I can't see Ryan and Jay both on the team next year. One of them will be gone in 2018. It all will depend on how Jay plays this year and if he wants to play more than one more season. Another big factor will be how Ryan is doing physically around March 1st when they have to make a decision on his contract.

Last edited:
Cutler would have to get deep into the playoffs and put up career stats. Just a solid season isn't enough to commit to a 35yr old QB next year vs a 30yr old QB with similar career stats in Tannehill.

If it's just a solid season and one and done playoff appearance I would expect Tannehill back and Cutler to get offers elsewhere next season.

Then I'll believe in unicorns.

BTwWki4IgAAKuWB.jpg:large

And maybe even mermaids with Hayes, too.

What happens if Cutler has a great year? Do you keep both quarterbacks next year or do you hope Tannehill gets healthy? Cutler had his best year under Gase and it wouldn't surprise me if he had a great year considering how talented our team is, aside from the offensive line. If our offensive line is able to at least be mediocre, then I don't see why he couldn't bring us to the playoffs. A lot of people seem to be down on Cutler, but really I don't know why. In 2015 he put up his best season with Gase as his coordinator. So what do we do for next year if Cutler has a great season and leads us deep into the playoffs? Do you keep him, take your chances with Tannehill and hope he gets healthy, or try to keep both?
This is interesting. If he is better than Tanny and takes the entire offense to another level, then we need to resign Cutler and draft a young QB to groom. But I would be surprised if that happened

Here is the reality that I see... Tannehill is likely done in Miami, unless our doctors are 200% sure his knee is perfect. With his 2018 salary not guaranteed until March, it leaves an easy out for our FO.

Regardless if Jay plays well or not, it makes little sense to keep a QB at $18 million when his knee could give out at anytime.

I say either Jay plays well enough to keep him and draft a QB to groom behind him, or we play poor enough that we are in position to draft one of the top QBs

If cutler has a good season and wants to stay, Tannehill will probably want to move on anyway.

This is a win win for Cutler. It's not that often a recycled QB gets an opportunity to play for a coach like Gase with some of the offensive weapons he'll have at his disposal.

First, it's probably about $8mil more than he'd make in the broadcast booth, so there's that.

Next, he's a smart Vanderbilt grad and I'm sure knows the perception that's widely held regarding him. Consequently it's a good chance to change the narrative as his swan song and if he chooses, sail off into the sunset a winner, answering his critics. At worst, it's reinforcement of the existing perception.. he really has nothing to lose and a legacy adjustment to gain. Plus it's sexy South Florida in the winter time for his wife and kids.

And if he's successful in this situation, he hits the open market probably looking at $18mil or more on a short term contract. For him it'll be Back Up The Brinks Truck Time for "one last power drive" before he then moves into his next life as a Fox commentator.

It's a good decision on his part no matter how it works out for us.

What are we considering a "great" season? Superbowl? If so obvious thing would be to keep Cutler. If its just the playoffs i don't see any need to get rid of Tannehill.

This is a win win for Cutler. It's not that often a recycled QB gets an opportunity to play for a coach like Gase with some of the offensive weapons he'll have at his disposal.

First, it's probably about $8mil more than he'd make in the broadcast booth, so there's that.

Next, he's a smart Vanderbilt grad and I'm sure knows the perception that's widely held regarding him. Consequently it's a good chance to change the narrative as his swan song and if he chooses, sail off into the sunset a winner, answering his critics. At worst, it's reinforcement of the existing perception.. he really has nothing to lose and a legacy adjustment to gain. Plus it's sexy South Florida in the winter time for his wife and kids.

And if he's successful in this situation, he hits the open market probably looking at $18mil or more on a short term contract. For him it'll be Back Up The Brinks Truck Time for "one last power drive" before he then moves into his next life as a Fox commentator.

It's a good decision on his part no matter how it works out for us.

I have to agree with you on this. Cutler doesn't have anything to lose by coming back. He inherits a great team, much better than the one he has played on the past few years. Seeing the contracts for quarterbacks in recent years, I could certainly see him getting a $18 million per year contract, if he has a good year.

Back
Top Bottom