What if the winner of the QB Duel is Sage Rosenfels? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if the winner of the QB Duel is Sage Rosenfels?

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just for sh!ts and giggles. Does anyone think we are running the risk of burying this guy? I mean we really didn't get the chance to find out what he could do last season because we got him just before like our final preseason game, and from then on week-in and week-out as the QB of our scout team he was forced to do his best to emulate the style of every quarterback that we were about to face.

That doesn't allow for the kinds of reps in practice that would allow us to find out if he's getting a grip on the offense...which is probably why Lucas was never pulled.

We're new, here in Miami, to the possibility of having a young developing quarterback, an unheralded kind of guy, who might be developing into a decent starter. I'm sure the Rams and Pats have a better idea of what it looks like, to have a younger guy unheralded who is developing quickly and might be ready to start.

But some things have been gettin lost in the shuffle I think with Sage Rosenfels. For one, Norv Turner went out and made that bold statement about Sage not being a backup, but being a future starter and a darn good one...which represented a very big turnaround from the language being used by the coaches previously about Sage (ie Wannstedt saying he doesn't know if Sage is a backup, a starter, a pro bowler, or out of the league). Now, twice I've seen Sage Rosenfels called the most consistent QB in mini-camp by eye-witness reporters...the latest being Ozzy.

And ironically, in a report about how GRIESE needs to learn the offense, Sage had this to say...

"When it's first thrown at you, Norv's offense seems very complicated and overwhelming," said third-string quarterback Sage Rosenfels. "But once that day comes when you get it, it seems like it's very simple.

"The key is putting all the pieces together, the protections with the formations and routes. If they're all separate things in your mind, they're not going to make sense. It takes a lot of memorization and film work and practice. After that, [Turner] can give you the formation and half the time you'll know what the play is."

This is a guy whose confidence is running high, he's been in the offense and he's not just familiar with it because implied in the statement above is that "the day" has already come for him and its all easy now. He's familiar with the players (heck he's even familiar with Derrius Thompson, they hooked up so much in Washington preseason) and we keep hearing reports about how few incompletions he's throwing in mini-camp and the zip on his passes etc.

I haven't been to mini-camp and I haven't seen him throw. But I can guarantee you that most people who go to camp are gonna be scouring every pass that Jay Fiedler and Brian Griese throw, and sitting comfortably by jotting down real quick that Sage only tossed like 3 incompletions.

BTW I was a strong proponent of signing Griese and not leaving the backup job to Sage Rosenfels precisely because of what we do not know about him, so yeah if Sage turns out good I'll be chewin some crow.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Just for sh!ts and giggles. Does anyone think we are running the risk of burying this guy? I mean we really didn't get the chance to find out what he could do last season because we got him just before like our final preseason game, and from then on week-in and week-out as the QB of our scout team he was forced to do his best to emulate the style of every quarterback that we were about to face.

That doesn't allow for the kinds of reps in practice that would allow us to find out if he's getting a grip on the offense...which is probably why Lucas was never pulled.

We're new, here in Miami, to the possibility of having a young developing quarterback, an unheralded kind of guy, who might be developing into a decent starter. I'm sure the Rams and Pats have a better idea of what it looks like, to have a younger guy unheralded who is developing quickly and might be ready to start.

But some things have been gettin lost in the shuffle I think with Sage Rosenfels. For one, Norv Turner went out and made that bold statement about Sage not being a backup, but being a future starter and a darn good one...which represented a very big turnaround from the language being used by the coaches previously about Sage (ie Wannstedt saying he doesn't know if Sage is a backup, a starter, a pro bowler, or out of the league). Now, twice I've seen Sage Rosenfels called the most consistent QB in mini-camp by eye-witness reporters...the latest being Ozzy.

And ironically, in a report about how GRIESE needs to learn the offense, Sage had this to say...

This is a guy whose confidence is running high, he's been in the offense and he's not just familiar with it because implied in the statement above is that "the day" has already come for him and its all easy now. He's familiar with the players (heck he's even familiar with Derrius Thompson, they hooked up so much in Washington preseason) and we keep hearing reports about how few incompletions he's throwing in mini-camp and the zip on his passes etc.

I haven't been to mini-camp and I haven't seen him throw. But I can guarantee you that most people who go to camp are gonna be scouring every pass that Jay Fiedler and Brian Griese throw, and sitting comfortably by jotting down real quick that Sage only tossed like 3 incompletions.

BTW I was a strong proponent of signing Griese and not leaving the backup job to Sage Rosenfels precisely because of what we do not know about him, so yeah if Sage turns out good I'll be chewin some crow.

Then we're in deep trouble, because that means something awful happened to Fiedler and Griese.

I can see Sage contending next year, but not now though. He has good upside that's for sure.

Oliver...

Good observation, CK, he has all the tools and he has been the most impressive QB during Mini-Camp..

Originally posted by ckparrothead

I said it last year and I say it again..Sage will be our QB of the future...one of the two (Jay or Brian) will be gone next year. I doubt we will be able to restructure both at the same time.

Sage will be our #2 again and I predicted that he will challenge for the starter next year.

i wouldn't think that this would be his year, after next would be a different story. i agree with the previous posts, jay or the grease man will be gone next year.

Thing is, what if the future is now? I mean, what if everything is clicking for this guy NOW and he was ready to be a quality starter. Would Tom Brady have been this good if he had been buried for another couple of years on the depth chart?

So much of being a good NFL QB is just plain about how you react to game situations that its hard to know. The Jets were still doubtful about Pennington until they tossed him into the fire and he took off like a rocket. I believe it took a while for the Rams to settle on Bulger too as even the primary backup to Warner (kept messin round with scrubs like Jamie Martin). One thing I'm tryin to point out, is that we as fans, likely wouldn't have an inkling of it when/if its happening. I mean, Marino was very heralded as soon as he was picked, and in his rookie year he ended up playing and setting the world on fire immediately. I guess the closest thing for us would be Scott Mitchell, but thats not exactly what I have in mind heh.

I'm just startin to think its possible that the greatest victim of Ray Lucas' disastrous campaign, might be Sage Rosenfels. I mean we went so blatant reactionary, grabbing the best possible quarterback we could get our hands on while Fiedler's position as starter still unquestioned, and therefore not giving Sage a real chance at moving his way up.

Its a shame. Lets hope quarterbacks don't have a 'shelf-life' or a "Sell By" date.

Re: Re: What if the winner of the QB Duel is Sage Rosenfels?

Originally posted by FFiB

I said it last year and I say it again..Sage will be our QB of the future...one of the two (Jay or Brian) will be gone next year. I doubt we will be able to restructure both at the same time.

Sage will be our #2 again and I predicted that he will challenge for the starter next year.

I agree. I also don't think QBs have a shelf life, at least not one that short. I don't think its a situation where Sage would be good this year but if he sits on the bench one year he'll suck.

Dunno man, I mean if you think about it...this year is Norv's 2nd year running the offense, the offense has "clicked" for Sage finally and he even says that just knowing the formation he can guess the play exactly like half the time. Most of the offensive players are hold-overs who know the offense. We have the best runner in the NFL behind a line that statistically was one of the best in the NFL (sorry Jills fans, I dont care how much you deny go look at total rushing not just Ricky's numbers, and sacks allowed) and an offensive coordinator who is one of if not the best play-caller in the NFL. We've got an ultra-athletic Tight End who figures to get a lot of action, a great pass catching FB and RB.

2 years down the road when Sage might finally get the chance to play, will we have all that? Will we also have a killer defense taking pressure off the QB? Lets hope, but I would think the easier you make a QB's rookie campaign in terms of surrounding talent, maybe the better chance the guy has of developing into a consistent talent because not much chance of him losing confidence or falling into traps in his first year.

If you guys can remember back to the Japan game where the skins played the 49th in Preseason, Sage was the starting QB for the skins at the time..But Spurrier was doing this just because Sage was the only QB from the previous year..he brought in all his guys and Ramsey..that's why we have Sage now..because they spent a 1st on Ramsey and had to cut one QB, Sage was the only non Spurrier guy..But back to football...on most teams, Sage would have started that year...He was very poise and comfortable..and I thought he would start the year for them at QB..He had a great arm and pass very well doing training camp, Pre Season...In his only chance in PS for Miami, he only knew a hand full of plays, I can't remember if he even had a chance to throw..but the kid definetly has upside and could easily be the future for Miami...But this is the same argument we have as far as our young WR's, we'll never know if we don't give them the opportunity...I really fell Baker can play in the NFL, but just needs a chance to be on the field for more than a punt return..He needs to get some playing time on the O..I think we would get a pleasant surprise.

I've always said I'm all for the best QB on the roster starting, if it's Sage, so be it.

I think it is worthwhile to note that a lot of young, inexperienced QBs who get thrown into the fire are put into that position because of desperation. That was the case with Pennington (the Jets were horrible until he came in, and even lost some games after he came in), Harrington (Lions, enough said), and Brady (Bledsoe injury). I wouldn't think the Dolphins would face the desperation point this year, at least not until December, but with any luck maybe we can get lots of big leads in games and Sage can come in with the game in hand. I would certainly like to see what he's got, but for now, in a year when we may be really close to something great I would stick with Fiedler (Griese as back-up) unless Sage outplays them considerably (which could happen).

talking about waiting for him to develop, how long is he under contract ?

All we can do is hope the cream rises to the top....if Sage lights up third stringers in preseason, he might cause a QB controversy himself.

I really like Sage. I believe that if all things were equal, he might show DW and NT enough to be the next Kurt Warner!

Remember a few years ago when this statement would not have been considered extraordinary........

let me play devil's advocate, sage is throwing on dbs that are gonna be baggin groceries in 2 months, but i still think he canand will be the future, maybe even next years if this griedler thing falls through

Back
Top Bottom