What if we sign Brees and Cutler falls to 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if we sign Brees and Cutler falls to 16

armyfinfan

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Imagine if we were to sign Brees and for some reason Cutler dropped to 16 do we still draft Cutler? I know it doesnt seem likely but hey you never know Dan Marino dropped to us in the 20's It could happen.

I really don't think that would happen but geesh, you'd have to pull the trigger and start looking for a trade partner...one of them will be worth picks in trade.

SpeedRush99 said:
Definitely grab him. No question.

You think so?

If we sign Brees then we are setting ourselves up in another Phillip Rivers situation with Brees and I dont think he would like that, and it may even shake his confidence

Alex22 said:
You think so?

If we sign Brees then we are setting ourselves up in another Phillip Rivers situation with Brees and I dont think he would like that, and it may even shake his confidence

There are alot of "IFs" in this whole scenario. But at this point we don't know if we'll even land Brees and if we do, exactly how much his injury has effected him. I think it could be an upgrade in the long run any way. Start Brees for 2 years while we groom Cutler, then trade Brees. Never hurts to have 2 good QBs.

SpeedRush99 said:
There are alot of "IFs" in this whole scenario. But at this point we don't know if we'll even land Brees and if we do, exactly how much his injury has effected him. I think it could be an upgrade in the long run any way. Start Brees for 2 years while we groom Cutler, then trade Brees. Never hurts to have 2 good QBs.

But from what ive seen and heard of Brees he wants to be the long term QB for someone, and then drafting a QB in the first round Drew may say 'Hey wait...I thought I was the guy'

You may be right and it may be the right thing long term who knows but what if Brees wins a superbowl or something in those two years? We just replace him?

I think it might set up a bad situation down the road, and maybe we end up with nothing like San Diego did

Alex22 said:
But from what ive seen and heard of Brees he wants to be the long term QB for someone, and then drafting a QB in the first round Drew may say 'Hey wait...I thought I was the guy'

You may be right and it may be the right thing long term who knows but what if Brees wins a superbowl or something in those two years? We just replace him?

I think it might set up a bad situation down the road, and maybe we end up with nothing like San Diego did

Like I said, alot of "if's".

No way. Even if Cutler falls to 16, you go OLine or defense. Could you really pass up Jimmy Williams if he is sitting there at 16? Why not trade out of the spot if you dont want to draft Cutler there?

Dolfan_Noles said:
Could you really pass up Jimmy Williams if he is sitting there at 16?

Easily depending on who else is available.

Cutler could be drafted as high as #2 overall now, I really think this question is pointless.

But, if it did happen, I'd draft him in a second. I think Saban believes in developing quarterbacks behind your starter, drafting a Cutler would give you another option should the Vet you bring in now fail to succeed.

BlueFin said:
Cutler could be drafted as high as #2 overall now, I really think this question is pointless.

But, if it did happen, I'd draft him in a second. I think Saban believes in developing quarterbacks behind your starter, drafting a Cutler would give you another option should the Vet you bring in now fail to succeed.

Agreed

how about if we grab brees and cutler drops to the 10-11 range, do you package brees and our first for cutler? (I would, but then i'm not sold on brees at all).

EDIT: that was dumb... haven't had my coffee yet :(

Psychosikes said:
how about if we grab brees and cutler drops to the 10-11 range, do you package brees and our first for cutler? (I would, but then i'm not sold on brees at all).

EDIT: that was dumb... haven't had my coffee yet :(

Probably not feasable unless Brees signs a contract with no signing bonus with Miami.

We would NOT draft CUTLER @ 16 if we signed BREES ... for both psyche and $$$ reasons ...

That wouldn't preclude us from drafting a 6-7 rounder ... and if we won the lottery .. then so be it ...

Reality says we won't draft a QB if we sign Brees .... because we have Lemon as a project, and we'd need a back-up ...

armyfinfan said:
Imagine if we were to sign Brees and for some reason Cutler dropped to 16 do we still draft Cutler? I know it doesnt seem likely but hey you never know Dan Marino dropped to us in the 20's It could happen.
Cutler is no Marino. He is more like Patrick Ramsey. If we sign Brees...If he becomes available, then we would be getting the better QB and not having to waste a first day pick on a rookie QB.

Back
Top Bottom