What If? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What If?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
I know it's not likely, but let's say Vince Young slides come draft day -- hey it happened to Dan Marino. Granted that was a qb rich draft. Do you take Young, or trade up a bit to get him if he's in the 7-10 range? Personally, I believe he is the most exciting player in the entire draft. And this is one of the most loaded drafts I can ever remember. I know a lot depends on what Miami does with Drew Brees, but there's still a strong possibility that a team with more money will outbid the Dolphins. Meaning, a lesser vet might be with our team, or Gus might again be the guy for a year. Tony Dungy said something very interesting about Young that caught my attention. Paraphrasing, he said that with the right offensive coordinator who built the offense around Young's talent, NFL defenses would be reeling trying to figure out a way to stop Young. I believe Miami has the right offensive coordinator, in Mularkey, the same guy that made Kordell Stewart look awfully good in Pittsburgh. I know Miami has a lot of other holes, the secondary needs to be totally rebuilt and the offensive line is average at best. But, how could we pass on Young if he fell into our laps?

No. I would renounce the fins. He doesnt fit into our style of offense, period. We need a good passing QB.

SF Dolphin Fan said:
, how could we pass on Young if he fell into our laps?
Easily, don't draft him. We could start the why/why not arguement, but I am tired of arguing about it.

Philter25 said:
No. I would renounce the fins. He doesnt fit into our style of offense, period. We need a good passing QB.

I would not Renounce the fins however we are much better off with a Pocket QB who can throw a nice long ball.

when vince young has a 3,000 yard season in one of his first 3 years, im callin you out Philter...

DcRy82 said:
when vince young has a 3,000 yard season in one of his first 3 years, im callin you out Philter...
how will he throw for 3000 yards on the bench?

Flyer22 said:
Young went Patriots on us and says he feels "disrespected."

Well maybe he will be Tom Brady's Back-up and they have something to talk about. :D

SF Dolphin Fan said:
I know it's not likely, but let's say Vince Young slides come draft day...
Young is the only QB that I would be interested in for round 1. If he's there, it would be tough to pass him by. We definitely don't move up...it's too costly.

Young is similar to a couple of the guys that Saban recruited at LSU...so, he seems like a good fit.

PhinstiGator said:
Young is the only QB that I would be interested in for round 1. If he's there, it would be tough to pass him by. We definitely don't move up...it's too costly.

Young is similar to a couple of the guys that Saban recruited at LSU...so, he seems like a good fit.

I just don't understand all the negative feedback on the guy. Yes, he is unconventional in his delivery and played in a system that is different from what the NFL "traditionally" does. But, he is more than just a running back playing quarterback and has a good enough arm. The guy finds a way to win. I think he will be a special player.

the end

Philter25 said:

Finally a few words of sanity

Please lets put it to sleep!!!

SF Dolphin Fan said:
I know it's not likely, but let's say Vince Young slides come draft day -- hey it happened to Dan Marino. Granted that was a qb rich draft. Do you take Young, or trade up a bit to get him if he's in the 7-10 range? Personally, I believe he is the most exciting player in the entire draft. And this is one of the most loaded drafts I can ever remember. I know a lot depends on what Miami does with Drew Brees, but there's still a strong possibility that a team with more money will outbid the Dolphins. Meaning, a lesser vet might be with our team, or Gus might again be the guy for a year. Tony Dungy said something very interesting about Young that caught my attention. Paraphrasing, he said that with the right offensive coordinator who built the offense around Young's talent, NFL defenses would be reeling trying to figure out a way to stop Young. I believe Miami has the right offensive coordinator, in Mularkey, the same guy that made Kordell Stewart look awfully good in Pittsburgh. I know Miami has a lot of other holes, the secondary needs to be totally rebuilt and the offensive line is average at best. But, how could we pass on Young if he fell into our laps?

I beg to differ with the Kordell Stewart praise. He stunk even with Mularkey. He had a couple of decent games, but for the most part he was a failure as an NFL QB. Offensive coordinators are important, but with all due respect to Dungy, great QB's are born, not made. Marino, Elway, Kelly etc would succeed in any system.
I haven't seen enough of Young to render a specific opinion about him, but if a team is going to pick a QB in the top 5 he better be a franchise type QB.

SF Dolphin Fan said:
I just don't understand all the negative feedback on the guy. Yes, he is unconventional in his delivery and played in a system that is different from what the NFL "traditionally" does. But, he is more than just a running back playing quarterback and has a good enough arm. The guy finds a way to win. I think he will be a special player.

It's not arm strength that people are concerned about. It has more to do with the mental aspects i.e his ability to mentally adjust to the speed of the NFL game. That is ,making quick reads and delivering the ball with accuracy.
Sandlot football (like Vick plays) only works against average to below average defenses. The concern with Young has to do with questions regarding his ability to adjust to a more structured offense. Freelancing as a QB does not win playoff games.
To truly succeed in the NFL you have to have the ability to use all the pieces of your offense. That takes a great mental command of the game. Joe Montana and Bob Griese did not have superior arm strength or athletic ability, but they were both exceptionally bright and new how to set up a defense. They distributed the ball to different cogs in their offense.

Back
Top Bottom