What If? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What If?

SF Dolphin Fan said:
I just don't understand all the negative feedback on the guy. Yes, he is unconventional in his delivery and played in a system that is different from what the NFL "traditionally" does. But, he is more than just a running back playing quarterback and has a good enough arm. The guy finds a way to win. I think he will be a special player.
What's not to like? The kid has a great combination of size, strength, and speed. His accuracy is certainly not a problem with a solid completion percentage and he throws a catchable ball.

He played in a balanced system and his main target was the Tight End. Scoring 38 TD's last season was no walk in the park.

I don't care about the stupid wonderlic score....whatever it is. Vince Young has that competive drive that wins games. The physical talent allows him to get it done. He is very difficult to tackle and his 9.34 yards per pass attempt is well above average.

As a junior draft prospect, I would rank him above wonderlic genious Alex Smith.

I For One Still Won T Be Interested

ummm..

jlfin said:
Sandlot football (like Vick plays) only works against average to below average defenses. The concern with Young has to do with questions regarding his ability to adjust to a more structured offense. Freelancing as a QB does not win playoff games.
a lil off topic, but vick seems to do pretty good against the carolina panthers and the bucs (which usually crush him) i dont see them as a sub par defenses. just my opinion. anyways. i dont see why we wouldnt pass up an opportunity on such a talent like him. he friggin beat the "best team of all time" ALL BY HIMSELF. most of sabans QB have been athletes. i dont see how we couldnt produce a top-notch offense around brown and young.

jlfin said:
I beg to differ with the Kordell Stewart praise. He stunk even with Mularkey. He had a couple of decent games, but for the most part he was a failure as an NFL QB. Offensive coordinators are important, but with all due respect to Dungy, great QB's are born, not made. Marino, Elway, Kelly etc would succeed in any system.
I haven't seen enough of Young to render a specific opinion about him, but if a team is going to pick a QB in the top 5 he better be a franchise type QB.

I hear what you're saying, but f memory serves Kordell Stewart had 1-2 pro bowl seasons with Mularkey as offensive coordinator. Also, remember how bad Steve Young was when he played in Tampa Bay? The SF system helped put him in the hall of fame instead of the all-time bust list. I definitely agree with your last statement and that's where it gets tough with Vince Young and Jay Cutler. Neither are sure things the way Leinart appears to be.

jlfin said:
It's not arm strength that people are concerned about. It has more to do with the mental aspects i.e his ability to mentally adjust to the speed of the NFL game. That is ,making quick reads and delivering the ball with accuracy.
Sandlot football (like Vick plays) only works against average to below average defenses. The concern with Young has to do with questions regarding his ability to adjust to a more structured offense. Freelancing as a QB does not win playoff games.
To truly succeed in the NFL you have to have the ability to use all the pieces of your offense. That takes a great mental command of the game. Joe Montana and Bob Griese did not have superior arm strength or athletic ability, but they were both exceptionally bright and new how to set up a defense. They distributed the ball to different cogs in their offense.

Well said and I get that. Guys like Tom Brady get overlooked because of lack of athletic ability, while others get picked much higher than they should based on outstanding athletic ability, arm strength and other measurables. To date, Michael Vick isn't a top 10 caliber NFL qb in my book although he is exciting to watch. If I'm grading a quarterback, the ability to make accurate throws and the right decisions are the top criteria. Young's ability to read defenses has come into question, but he seemed to make great second and third reads against USC, which plays a pro-style defense and tried everything to slow him down. I could be wrong with Young, but I really think he could be special with the right offensive coordinator. That's why I believe Miami would be a good fit.

PhinstiGator said:
What's not to like? The kid has a great combination of size, strength, and speed. His accuracy is certainly not a problem with a solid completion percentage and he throws a catchable ball.

He played in a balanced system and his main target was the Tight End. Scoring 38 TD's last season was no walk in the park.

I don't care about the stupid wonderlic score....whatever it is. Vince Young has that competive drive that wins games. The physical talent allows him to get it done. He is very difficult to tackle and his 9.34 yards per pass attempt is well above average.

As a junior draft prospect, I would rank him above wonderlic genious Alex Smith.

Didn't Dan Marino have a low wonderlic score as well? I don't know much abou the test, but there's a difference between intelligence and football smarts. I would be thrilled to death if Miami got Vince Young, without giving up a slew of picks.

UCFinFan9 said:
a lil off topic, but vick seems to do pretty good against the carolina panthers and the bucs (which usually crush him) i dont see them as a sub par defenses. just my opinion. anyways. i dont see why we wouldnt pass up an opportunity on such a talent like him. he friggin beat the "best team of all time" ALL BY HIMSELF. most of sabans QB have been athletes. i dont see how we couldnt produce a top-notch offense around brown and young.

Agree. Plus, Young is extremely accurate in the short/intermediate range which is the main thing holding Vick back. Granted, Young hasn't shown the ability to throw the deep ball consistently, but that seems to be a lost art in the NFL anyway.

Back
Top Bottom