What is a fan??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is a fan???

Jeep

Premium Member
Reaction score
Seriously... what makes someone a real and honest to goodness "FAN"?

According to Websters.. a fan is......
Date: 1682, probably short for fanatic
1 : an enthusiastic devotee (as of a sport or a performing art) usually as a spectator
2 : an ardent admirer or enthusiast (as of a celebrity or a pursuit) <science-fiction fans>

According to Ricky Williams.. a fan is.......
The fans are, I think, just extra."

According to me... a real fan is someone that shows an obsession towards a sport or performing art....

I have been known to re-arrange my schedule and my vacation around a Dolphin game.. I also have spent many many hours reading up on the team and logging into Finheaven to get the latest news..

I have also been know to show my anger because the team I am a fan of happens to lose..

I also dis the team during the week and cheer them on at game time... while at the same time, I have turned my back on the team when they are losing just so I wouldnt have to endure the emmotional trama...

I also border on realism, just because the Dolphins have a mathimatical chance of reaching the play-offs, I dont put on those rosey lense sunglasses and believe they will.... while at the same time I placed my wager at the begining of the year that the team would win the AFC and AFC East....

So I ask you... in your opinion, or based on your definition... What is a Fan?

i believe a fan is defined exactly as you said..
i can also tell you that im not sure that im a fan of ricky's anymore.

A little plastic or metal thingy that spins around to make it cooler when it is real hot.

A real fan supports his or her team, a real fan is ready for a game excited about a game and remains positive with realistic expectations.

fans that are constantly bickering, saying negative things, insulting players and wishing we get rid of him and the other guy are not real fans.

fans are realistic we don't think the dolphins are headed to the superbowl at this point but we will root and hope for it.

fans are there in good times and in rough times if not you're not a fan, plain and simple

I think Ricky's comments are being taken out of context.

A true fan and "just a fan" are two separate distinctions.

Just a fan is there when things are going great. They look exactly like a real fan. They disapear or turn on the team when they are tested.

A real fan is there during the total colaspe as well at the height of victory. He (or She) doesn't walk out in the 3rd quarter. They think higher of the team than they do of there own opinion of the team. A true fan does not allow competing interests to shake his diehard support for the team.

A true fan is rather patient because they are there for the long haul. They generally expect the best because they have a good knowledge of the teams strengths. They experience deep pain when the team fails. But, they are also aware of the teams weaknesses.

A real fan never gives up. Why? they know that their devotion to the team is not about themselves. It's about the team. The game or season is not over until the clock says it is.

A real fan has a natural bias for the team. He watches every game hoping that his team wins. He never wishes his team to fail.

A real fan identifies himself with the team. He wears the colors proudly.

IF you notice, Ricky said that he appreciated some of the die-hards if i remember reading correctly - i could be wrong...

A fan is someone that lives near their teams stadium and opts to spend their hard earned money to go to the game dispite their financial situation insted of staying home and watching it on tv.
Maybe thats a true fan or a retard.:jk:

Originally posted by Jeep
Seriously... what makes someone a real and honest to goodness &quot;FAN&quot;?

According to Websters.. a fan is......

According to Ricky Williams.. a fan is.......

According to me... a real fan is someone that shows an obsession towards a sport or performing art....

I have been known to re-arrange my schedule and my vacation around a Dolphin game.. I also have spent many many hours reading up on the team and logging into Finheaven to get the latest news..

I have also been know to show my anger because the team I am a fan of happens to lose..

I also dis the team during the week and cheer them on at game time... while at the same time, I have turned my back on the team when they are losing just so I wouldnt have to endure the emmotional trama...

I also border on realism, just because the Dolphins have a mathimatical chance of reaching the play-offs, I dont put on those rosey lense sunglasses and believe they will.... while at the same time I placed my wager at the begining of the year that the team would win the AFC and AFC East....

So I ask you... in your opinion, or based on your definition... What is a Fan?

Interesting question and a lot of black powder to blow any discussion out of proportion.

I think each one has their own definition of being a fan.

- In my opinion the word "fan" disqualifies if you bet against the Dolphins out of pure pleasure and therefore hoping for losses to win that bet.

- If you hope for losses at any given time for whatever reasons

- a fan has naturally more hope than the casual fan

- I for one never give up on the team and root for them to the bitter end and beyond

- my allegiance to the Dolphins is beyond any one player or coach. I've been a Dolfan before the current players arrived and I will be a Dolfan long after they are gone.

- hoping for one or more players/coaches to fail and accepting losses because of a personal dislike

There is no monetary value associated with being a fan but I highly doubt any fanship of any person if that person lives close by and never, ever goes to a game.

Thats just my opinions though...

Re: Re: What is a fan???

Originally posted by FFiB

Interesting question and a lot of black powder to blow any discussion out of proportion.

I think each one has their own definition of being a fan.

- In my opinion the word &quot;fan&quot; disqualifies if you bet against the Dolphins out of pure pleasure and therefore hoping for losses to win that bet.

- If you hope for losses at any given time for whatever reasons

- a fan has naturally more hope than the casual fan

- I for one never give up on the team and root for them to the bitter end and beyond

- my allegiance to the Dolphins is beyond any one player or coach. I've been a Dolfan before the current players arrived and I will be a Dolfan long after they are gone.

- hoping for one or more players/coaches to fail and accepting losses because of a personal dislike

There is no monetary value associated with being a fan but I highly doubt any fanship of any person if that person lives close by and never, ever goes to a game.

Thats just my opinions though...

I agree. How could you never ever go?

Re: Re: Re: What is a fan???

Originally posted by Den54

I agree. How could you never ever go?

while I understand that a lot of times people can't go because of circumstances out of their control (money,family, health etc) but there surely must be a time when they CAN afford 20 bucks to go....just once....

But yes there are people who never ever go and call themselves Dolfans....

Re: Re: Re: Re: What is a fan???

Originally posted by FFiB

while I understand that a lot of times people can't go because of circumstances out of their control (money,family, health etc) but there surely must be a time when they CAN afford 20 bucks to go....just once....

But yes there are people who never ever go and call themselves Dolfans....

Well here it is, an understanding, common ground if you will.:D

Ricky's comments are being taken out of context, I still support him.

And good way to put what a fan is. I do the same thing, I schedule everything around dolphins games. I have lost gf's because of dolphins games. I am unobtainable for the 3 hours on sunday (or monday) they play.

I have watched a game in church once (ur moddern day homer simpson)

I will miss anything to watch a phins game. That's what I tell girls when I meet them. Dolphins first.... u second lol.

From Dictionary.com

Fanatic= A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.

Fanatics are governed rather by imagination than by judgment. --Stowe.

Fanatical= Possessed with or motivated by excessive, irrational zeal.

Fan #1= A device for creating a current of air by movement of a surface or surfaces.

Fan #2 = An enthusiastic devotee of sports.

Fan #3 = An ardent follower.

Fan #4 = To strike out a batter, in baseball.

Admirer #1 =To regard with pleasure, wonder, and approval.

Admirer #2 = To have a high opinion of; esteem or respect.

Admirer #3 = A person who backs a politician or a team etc.

Well Jeep to answer your question, it would be up to the individual's common sense and view to the question and how they represent the definitions. We are not all fans here...

After reading hundreds of posts on our Dolphin's, and also Pats, Bills and Jets fan forums over the last few month or so I have come to the conclusion that some of us are fanatics... some are fanaticals... and some are just plain admirers.

I consider my self a #3 Fan and/or all 3 of the Admirers. :)

I have to say that sometimes by reading some of these posts, seems like there are a few of those #1 Fans around with all that HOT AIR they keep blowing around over and over (just kidding)... :D

So where does everyone rate themselves now?

GOOO FIIINZ

:cooldude:

Last edited by a moderator:
A fan is somone who wants the best for their team. They invest themselves and their money in a dream that their team will reward their loyalty with effort, and accomplishment. Like any realtionship it is give and take.

This is interesting because myself and others have been accused of NOT being "real" fans because we are vocal about the teams and the QBs short comings. I say just the opposite. becasue we ARE TRUE FANS, we want the team to win. We want to see our favorite players like Marino, Zach Thomas, Sam Madison, Ricky Williams, rewaded for their years of hard work and entertainment by having a championship.

We are not willing to just sit back and worship everything a team, player or coach does just because its done in the name of the Dolphins. We show up and we hope very year and we are just as dedicated as ANY fan out there. But we are realist and we want to win. For us who have given for so long, for the city we call home, and for our warriors on the field who deserve to taste championship for what they give. I don't think there is a sadder story in the NFL than Marino not having a ring. If ever a player deserved it he did. Now it looks like this core defensive unit, maybe our best ever, will have the same fate. Where is the justice in that?

Like I said before, because we ARE real fans, we want to win. We care that much. Because we are REAL fans we want our players to win.

And because we are REAL fans we are still here win lose or draw no matter what. We always will be.

Back
Top Bottom