What is the worst All-Star game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is the worst All-Star game

wpgfishfan

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It is now 10-8 in the NHL all-star game. This game always sucks.

I was thinking of all the 4 major sports this is how I rank them

1. MLB without a doubt is the best game
2. NBA no defence but in the last 5 minutes the players try
4. NFL and NHL both have terrible all-star games

The only thing decent about the show tonight was the CBC came up with a new schedule plan.

It would have 32 teams with WINNIPEG:D and Halifax getting a team

Then the 2 conferences would be divided between North and South so all the Canadian teams would be in the same conference

The only thing decent about the show tonight was the CBC came up with a new schedule plan.

Then the 2 conferences would be divided between North and South so all the Canadian teams would be in the same conference

Is this being taken seriously or CBC just mentioned it themselves!

how is the mlb the lesser of the evils? it determines who has home field advanage in the WS...that automatically makes it the worst....to me the pro bowl is second worst, followed by the nba and the NHL being the least worst...or best if you will

You are right, MLB easily has the best game. The Pro Bowl is awful and the NHL All Star game is a no hitter.

While that schedule plan would be too sweet I just don't think it will ever happen. I'd LOVE to see Winnipeg get the Jets back, I seriously would. That said, there is simply not enough corperate support in Winnipeg for it to ever work.

Halifax is out of the question in my opinion.

If/when the NHL goes to 32 I think Southern Ontario will get a team. They have the population center and the corperate dollars to make it work. Waterloo would be perfect. It is outside the "circle of influence" of both the Sabres and the Leafs, removing a major stumbling block to a team getting into Hamilton.

The schedule will get changed for the 08/09 season, it simply has to be. You simply can't have your best players not making an appearence in every building every year. Can you imagine the NBA setting up a schedule that had Michael Jordan not going to 10 cities a year? Or the Lakers never playing in the East? It is ridiculous but the agenda is being set by teams (Rangers, Flyers, Islanders, Florida teams, Devils etc.) that have no interest in having to spend more money on travel or have to make those treks to the West.

Tradition and the welfare of the Western teams mean nothing to the Eastern block of teams stopping the schedule change. This is where Bettman has to step in and worry about the welfare of the game.

While some fans love the so-called "rivalries" that the surrent schedule strives to bring to the table, others, like me see right through it as a money saving cash grab by the owners.

Rivalries are made in the PLAYOFFS, not through force feeding paying fans the same team 8 times a year. Did the Av's and Red Wings play each other 8 times a season? Nope but they played each other every year in the playoffs. That is why they are rivals.

Playing your divisional teams 8 times a year lessens thre impact of divisional games in my opinion. "Oh well, if we lose to them now we can get them next week" is an ideal teams could use. If they played each other 6 times a year each game would mean that much more.

The NHL HAS to get every team in every building every year. The NHL has to set it up so the Canadian teams all play each other, in each others building every year. The NHL has to have the original 6 play in every building every year. It is not rocket science.

You play your divisional rivals 6 times a year, 3 home 3 road (24 games)
You play the opposite conferance 2 times a year, 1 home 1 road (30 games)
You play the rest of your conferance 2 times a year, 1 home 1 road (20 games).

That leaves 8 extra games. You could even get the false rivalry creating 8 games against your divisional teams with that schedule. It would also create more continity in the standings because every team would have the exact same schedule accept for their divsional games.

Alright....sorry I got off topic but the NHL schedule thing makes me so upset that I go off on a rant everytime it comes up.

You are right, MLB easily has the best game. The Pro Bowl is awful and the NHL All Star game is a no hitter.

While that schedule plan would be too sweet I just don't think it will ever happen. I'd LOVE to see Winnipeg get the Jets back, I seriously would. That said, there is simply not enough corperate support in Winnipeg for it to ever work.

Halifax is out of the question in my opinion.

If/when the NHL goes to 32 I think Southern Ontario will get a team. They have the population center and the corperate dollars to make it work. Waterloo would be perfect. It is outside the "circle of influence" of both the Sabres and the Leafs, removing a major stumbling block to a team getting into Hamilton.

The schedule will get changed for the 08/09 season, it simply has to be. You simply can't have your best players not making an appearence in every building every year. Can you imagine the NBA setting up a schedule that had Michael Jordan not going to 10 cities a year? Or the Lakers never playing in the East? It is ridiculous but the agenda is being set by teams (Rangers, Flyers, Islanders, Florida teams, Devils etc.) that have no interest in having to spend more money on travel or have to make those treks to the West.

Tradition and the welfare of the Western teams mean nothing to the Eastern block of teams stopping the schedule change. This is where Bettman has to step in and worry about the welfare of the game.

While some fans love the so-called "rivalries" that the surrent schedule strives to bring to the table, others, like me see right through it as a money saving cash grab by the owners.

Rivalries are made in the PLAYOFFS, not through force feeding paying fans the same team 8 times a year. Did the Av's and Red Wings play each other 8 times a season? Nope but they played each other every year in the playoffs. That is why they are rivals.

Playing your divisional teams 8 times a year lessens thre impact of divisional games in my opinion. "Oh well, if we lose to them now we can get them next week" is an ideal teams could use. If they played each other 6 times a year each game would mean that much more.

The NHL HAS to get every team in every building every year. The NHL has to set it up so the Canadian teams all play each other, in each others building every year. The NHL has to have the original 6 play in every building every year. It is not rocket science.

You play your divisional rivals 6 times a year, 3 home 3 road (24 games)
You play the opposite conferance 2 times a year, 1 home 1 road (30 games)
You play the rest of your conferance 2 times a year, 1 home 1 road (20 games).

That leaves 8 extra games. You could even get the false rivalry creating 8 games against your divisional teams with that schedule. It would also create more continity in the standings because every team would have the exact same schedule accept for their divsional games.

Alright....sorry I got off topic but the NHL schedule thing makes me so upset that I go off on a rant everytime it comes up.

Tell me how you really feel:lol:

Winnipeg can have a team again.

The city has almost 100,000 more people than the last time they were here

We have a new building and if the Aspers get involved the financial side will do just fine

Anyways this All-Star game was BORING. Someone needs to throw a bodycheck 1 year to spice it up

I'm a busy guy, but I keep up pretty well with the goings-on in the sports world, and I had no idea the NHL All Star Game was tonight until I saw it on TV at work tonight.

Anyway, Uni, I hardly think Tampa Bay and Florida are dictating to the league how the schedule should be set up. But I would love to see them expand the schedule to fit all the teams in it. There's no reason not to have a somewhat balanced schedule. The rivalries between divisional teams either there or aren't. But North and South conferences would never work. It's a long trip to have to make once a month from Raleigh to San Jose or Vancouver to Ottawa.

They all suck imo

With ya there.. I will watch the baseball one sometimes, but even then its so watered down its hard to watch.. The matchups would be great to watch if players were actually playing for something.. The NHL all-star game is joke, they haven't called a penalty in like 3 years.. Great Hockey.. If they got rid of the Pro-Bowl I am not sure some football fans would find out for years.. You would ask your friend like 5 years from now what time the game was on, only for him to inform you they got rid of the Pro-Bowl 4 years ago.. Oh Rly..

I like watching the HR derby, QB Challenge, 3 point contest, PG challenge and rookie vs sophomore bball game better then all the actually allstar games.

I also like the NFL event where they had the fastest guy (i think Mathis won) and i can't remember what other events they had, but that was pretty cool

When was the NHL all-star game? I wouldn't even know they were still playing hockey if it were not for Barry the Mullet Melrose on ESPN. :lol:

all star games are ok. They mean more to kids then anyone else and if players i like are in ill watch it.

1. NBA (dont ask me why i just like the dunks and the crazy stuff we see)
2. MLB
3. NHL If for nothing else then the skills competition
4. NFL Football at half speed is a horrendous event.

I'm a busy guy, but I keep up pretty well with the goings-on in the sports world, and I had no idea the NHL All Star Game was tonight until I saw it on TV at work tonight.

Anyway, Uni, I hardly think Tampa Bay and Florida are dictating to the league how the schedule should be set up. But I would love to see them expand the schedule to fit all the teams in it. There's no reason not to have a somewhat balanced schedule. The rivalries between divisional teams either there or aren't. But North and South conferences would never work. It's a long trip to have to make once a month from Raleigh to San Jose or Vancouver to Ottawa.

Actually, they do...

The NHL Board of Governer's (G.M.'s) voted for a schedule change for the 07/08 season yesterday and it got voted down. The league needed 20 votes to change the schedule for 07/08 and they recieved 19 votes.

Like I mentioned, the schedule will be changed for the 08/09 season because there is no voted needed. All Bettman and the competition commitee has to do is get the thing together and pass it, they don't need approval from the Board.

The NHL does their schedule in three year cycles. When they set up the schedule it goes into effect for three years and becomes a CBA issue for the balance of the cycle, that's why they had to put it to a vote for next year.

As for not knowing the All Star game was on you can blame Bettman and his brilliant "take the extra cash and put the thing on Vs." idea. Bettman should have taken LESS money from ESPN (like he could have but he played chicken with them and ESPN told him to go away) and had the thing on ESPN or ESPN2.

If it was on ESPN or ESPN2 you would have known about it. Instead it is buried on some third rate cable network that no one has in their home. All because Bettman wanted a few extra dollars.

More brilliance from "Count Bettman".

I agree that the MLB is by far the best game. Though it's probably because its closer to an MLB game with 7 elite pitchers going against 9 great hitters on each squad. The NBA/NHL/NFL game look nothing like the actual product so I think they're all bad. Bettman has to do a better job, how can an all-star game be on a Wednesday? The MLB one is traditionally during the week but everybody knows that. The NHL is trying to get fans by hiding their product on a 2nd rate channel and on a weekday? I get Vs. and CBC and really CBC is awful to anybody who is an American hockey fan because of the bias but Vs. almost made my ears bleed. I think the league should take away teams rather than add or atleast move teams to better hockey markets in Canada. I would love to see Canada get a team or two but don't water down the product move a team that is an area that has no business having a hockey team.

Back
Top Bottom