What Most Determines Success in the NFL - College Production or Athletic Ability? An In-Depth Analysis | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Most Determines Success in the NFL - College Production or Athletic Ability? An In-Depth Analysis

If it were that easy, Gm's and scouts would rarely miss. I would certainly tend for college production, but obviously athletic testing matters.

In other words, I'm more comfortable with a four-year starter from a major program than someone who "flashed" at a school that rarely faced NFL caliber talent.

Coaching matters as well, as the article stated. Maybe that player with a great athletic profile, but not a lot of production just needs the right coaching.

Last edited:
I think coaching and scheme fits are best determining factors. coaches who have a clear plan and roll for a player. but obviously players that get looked at by professional scouts have to either have college success or immense athletic ability to even get opportunity for scouts to turn on tape.

I think coaching and scheme fits are best determining factors. coaches who have a clear plan and roll for a player. but obviously players that get looked at by professional scouts have to either have college success or immense athletic ability to even get opportunity for scouts to turn on tape.
Agree. So many misses in football seem to be because of scheme or bad coaching. Injuries always have an impact as well.

I look at it this way. Alex Rodriguez was basically the same player for the Mariners, Rangers and Yankees.

That's not always the case in football. It depends on the team, the scheme, coaching etc.

Steve Young is a great example. Terrible in Tampa Bay and a Hall of Famer with the 49ers. Tannehill was a much better player with Tennessee when he had a consistent running game.

I also wonder if Grier is as bad at drafting offensive linemen as many here think. Maybe it's more on the coaching staff? Just a thought anyway.

I look at it this way. Alex Rodriguez was basically the same player for the Mariners, Rangers and Yankees.

That's not always the case in football. It depends on the team, the scheme, coaching etc.

Steve Young is a great example. Terrible in Tampa Bay and a Hall of Famer with the 49ers. Tannehill was a much better player with Tennessee when he had a consistent running game.

I also wonder if Grier is as bad at drafting offensive linemen as many here think. Maybe it's more on the coaching staff? Just a thought anyway.
IMO the biggest obstacle against Miami building an OL has been the turnover at coaching and the scheme changes.

Frame and athleticism. It's a given that all the prospects have experience.
The difference between me and the NFL players is god given ability, frame and athleticism. That's what teams pay for and that's what allows players to dominate, the best most athletic players.

Back
Top Bottom