What our defense is saying about our O! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What our defense is saying about our O!

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
I've read today's articles in the herald, sunsentinel, and PBB where some D players were quoted as saying they think the O is going to struggle. This is not too encouraging being that if anyone should know, it would be them. One of the players (I believe Madison) was talking about how that's ok as long as they don't make turnovers and give points away. With that in mind, I don't think Fiedler would be a good choice at QB. He makes many mistakes (among other shortcomings he has as a qb). I remember in '99 when Marino went down and Huard stepped in. His job was not to lose the game for us and that's what he did and that's why I liked him as a qb. He knew how to manage a game (I believe he went 3-1 as a starter including a shutout of the Titans). He kept the game tight and usually the D would come up with a big play or two to put the O in position to score and win the game. In fact, it seemed like when Marino came back, our team suffered because Marino threw some crucial pics that were returned for TD's (I know some of you won't like that but it's true. I went to Marino's last home game and he was still trying to thread the needle the way he did in the early 90's before the shoulder problems). Granted, Marino was always capable of throwing an 80 yd. TD pass on a moments notice something I'm not sure if Feeley can do and I know Fiedler can't. I just wonder who do you feel can manage the game and play smart, mistake-free football?

Last edited by a moderator:
phinfan2003 said:
some D players were quoted as saying they think the O is going to struggle.

You think? I would venuture to say the whole team thinks the O is going to struggle. Regardless, we are a defensive team and have been for 5+ yrs. They will struggle, just don't give up points.....

I know fiedler can win games. I dont know what feeley can do. With the losing of Ricky and Boston, why take a risk with the QB?

BizarroAndres said:
I know fiedler can win games. I dont know what feeley can do. With the losing of Ricky and Boston, why take a risk with the QB?
Because we gave up a second rounder for him we better find out if he was worth it this year instead of another mediocre season with Fiedler and then having the unknown again at the start of next years training camp. Either way we will have a great back-up QB starting for us. Might as well use the one we traded a draft pick for.

Added linebacker Zach Thomas: "The year we lost (Dan) Marino, we were an underdog the first game. That year we made the playoffs and won the division."

Here is a good quote from Zach that will help put things in perspective. Remember the "rebuilding" year when the Fins played for the first time without Dan Marino and everyone doubted some no name career backup named Fiedler and somehow they won the division. D is what wins games for this team and *knock on wood* luckily no one has gotten hurt on D or left with a drug addiction. The D will be even better this year and I'm willing to bet the teams record will reflect that.

john00agent said:
You think? I would venuture to say the whole team thinks the O is going to struggle. Regardless, we are a defensive team and have been for 5+ yrs. They will struggle, just don't give up points.....

The point being that it's rare for the defense to openly come out and say the O is going to struggle w/o a down even was played. We all knew the D would be the strong suit coming in with or without Ricky and Boston. They need to pick a qb that can keep them in games and let the D win the ball game for us due to the fact that our O is even less of a factor than it was going to be before the ricky announcement and the Boston injury.

phinfan2003 said:
I've read today's articles in the herald, sunsentinel, and PBB where some D players were quoted as saying they think the O is going to struggle. This is not too encouraging being that if anyone should know, it would be them. One of the players (I believe Madison) was talking about how that's ok as long as they don't make turnovers and give points away. With that in mind, I don't think Fiedler would be a good choice at QB. He makes many mistakes (among other shortcomings he has as a qb). I remember in '99 when Marino went down and Huard stepped in. His job was not to lose the game for us and that's what he did and that's why I liked him as a qb. He knew how to manage a game (I believe he went 3-1 as a starter including a shutout of the Titans). He kept the game tight and usually the D would come up with a big play or two to put the O in position to score and win the game. In fact, it seemed like when Marino came back, our team suffered because Marino threw some crucial pics that were returned for TD's (I know some of you won't like that but it's true. I went to Marino's last home game and he was still trying to thread the needle the way he did in the early 90's before the shoulder problems). Granted, Marino was always capable of throwing an 80 yd. TD pass on a moments notice something I'm not sure if Feeley can do and I know Fiedler can't. I just wonder who do you feel can manage the game and play smart, mistake-free football?
When you lose your rb and your WR and you have a qb like Fiedler, ....well, let's say that those things speak volumes about the Miami O. (or lack of it)

Back
Top Bottom