What The Miami Dolphins Are Doing About Their Obvious Need At Cornerback | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What The Miami Dolphins Are Doing About Their Obvious Need At Cornerback

AL R

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
The Miami Dolphins were calling around the NFL to gauge the possible availability of some cornerbacks even before Tuesday’s practice when Tony Lippett seemingly injured his right foot.

The team on Tuesday afternoon was awaiting results of tests to determine the status of Lippett’s foot, but regardless of those results the Dolphins are obviously interested in possibly adding cornerback help.

(Yeah, everyone is always interested in adding cornerback help).

The Dolphins are not necessarily expecting to find starting-caliber cornerback talent in trade or on the waiver wire if that’s what it comes to. But that may be exactly what they need.

The team, you see, is 11 practices into this training camp and on the eve of the preseason opener but it still has no starter identified to play the side opposite Xavien Howard.

Cordrea Tankersley has worked with the starters in five 11 practices.

Torry McTyer has worked with the starters in five of 11 practices.

And Lippett, who started 13 games in 2016 and led the team with four interceptions, has had one day in which he worked with the starters. Lippett missed all of 2017 with a torn Achilles and has not yet regained his old form.

And while Tankersley was solid for a while and McTyer has been with the starters lately, neither has separated himself and convinced anyone he is the starter. The Dolphins are eager to see what happens in the preseason before picking a starter.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article216232790.html

So I guess they still view CB as a need - even with all the young guys here

Wow. Didn't see that one coming. I guess they've never trusted that Lippet would be 100% healthy and I wonder if they're not sure about Tank either but again, how are they going to find a good corner now?

I've been planning on talking about this in the upcoming podcast but we don't tape until tomorrow night. Armando beat me to it, but he really just set up the dilemma without talking about the solution. Still, a lot of folks don't necessarily want to acknowledge there is a dilemma, and Armando's definitely putting that out there.

I thought we'd be good with Cordrea, I was rooting for him because he's the youngest guy and was hoping we had our future tandem. I thought he was a good cover CB who was supposedly a non willing tackler or run defender (which I personally never saw show up in a game). Is this not the case?

We must be putting out some ugly boundary corner tape in camp.

Whatever we do don’t make McCain be a part of the solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
This came out of nowhere. WTF.

Tank is that bad? Armstrong? Davis? McTyer?
Sheesh.

I've been planning on talking about this in the upcoming podcast but we don't tape until tomorrow night. Armando beat me to it, but he really just set up the dilemma without talking about the solution. Still, a lot of folks don't necessarily want to acknowledge there is a dilemma, and Armando's definitely putting that out there.
On whose behalf is he putting it out, I wonder... The coaches?

Sounds to me like a message to Tankersley.

Maybe I'm in the wrong here, but aren't some of the posts here a bit of overreaction? They are looking for depth in case Lippett is out. The article didn't say anything about needing a starter because Tank and McTyer suck.

A depth guy goes down, you start looking for replacemebt depth. Nothing to see here.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

They are making it appear as if Lippett would be this huge loss but once he's back on the field and not playing, those same teams will inquire back with us about Lippett.

Book it, Tony Lippett gets traded for a 5th round pick just before the season starts.

The sane person in me is simply hoping Tony is healthy and can contribute as a back up because McTyer and Tank are that much better than him.

There's always Sean Smith, heard he got out of jail today.

When I 1st saw the article, I began to think what's going on that we don't know about with the cornerback position. But after reading it, you say oh wow this is more about depth? Not so much about the core 4. Lippett on the other hand may have some people nervous he hasn't recovered sufficiently to warrant a spot on the team? Achilles tears are tough enough, but for a CB it can be brutal. I'm not sure what Armando knows, but it sure is making me nervous.

Maybe I'm in the wrong here, but aren't some of the posts here a bit of overreaction? They are looking for depth in case Lippett is out. The article didn't say anything about needing a starter because Tank and McTyer suck.

A depth guy goes down, you start looking for replacemebt depth. Nothing to see here.

It reads to me that neither has done enough to prove to be a capable starter opposite Howard, at least that's what I get from the way Armando framed the article-

The Dolphins are not necessarily expecting to find starting-caliber cornerback talent in trade or on the waiver wire if that’s what it comes to.But that may be exactly what they need.

And while Tankersley was solid for a while and McTyer has been with the starters lately, neither has separated himself and convinced anyone he is the starter.

Back
Top Bottom