What went wrong: Lamar Miller | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What went wrong: Lamar Miller

I've followed Lamar since Miami Killian. Kid has always gone down on first contact far too often.

The line can't block everyone... He needs to get stronger. Getting tripped up and brought down by an arm of a falling DT is not the greatest thing for an NFL caliber RB to be brought down by. IMP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not the biggest Lamar Miller fan, but I do like the kid. He is a scat back, pure and simple.

Last season he actually performed well. It WAS the OL that held him back, just like it was for Reggio Bush. I have a lot of faith in Benton to make this new OL much better than the one we had last year. Albert isn't a good run blocker, but he is much better than anyone we had at LT last year even at run blocking. On the downs that Shelley Smith plays, he is an excellent run blocker, but he he does broadcast run play when he is on the field. Pouncey should be playing with a chip on his shoulder. I don't know how good our run blocking will be, but it should be improved.

The issue facing Lamar Miller is passing sets. In Lazor's offense the RB is required to pass protect and catch screen passes and short passes all over the field. Neither of these things are currently strengths of Miller, and look tailor made for Moreno. I will b surprised if Miller gets more snaps than Moreno.

What Miller needs to do this offseason is work on pass protection, pass catching, and once the camps srart, route running. If he can become good at these things, he can win the starting spot.

I expect us to draft a RB in round 3 or 4, with guys like Bishop Sankey, Lache Seastrunk and some small school prospects being the most likely target. Hickey will be looking for his next Doug Martin or Ray Rice type guy. Lazor would prefer the next Thurman Thomas or Marshall Faulk. I think we will draft something in between stylistically, but probably not hall of fame caliber ... that would be extremely lucky.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

With the predictable offense and bad OL play, I don't think we know what any RB can do on Miami. Hopefully, the new OC mixes it up much better - thus giving the OL a chance to set up for plays. If that happens, then, we can see what we have.

My dad has always said, like a broken record, if you give Lamar Miller a hole, he's going to break for a big gain. And he does, he's extremely quick on that first burst off the block. The problem is, that hole is hardly there.

Really interested in seeing how things play out. We could have a seriously threatening running game if holes can be made.

It's like Tannehill. A handful of sacks were on him but mostly the oline. Same as Miller, some poor runs but mostly the oline.

some people think he's the "lightning" to the "thunder". if he was that quick, i'd like to see him make a play for himself, whether there's a hole or not. Just make something happen. Don't think i've ever seen Miller make a play, when there's no hole. If you are saying you need a hole so big, you can back a truck up into it, then he's really worthless.

The article's author must be drunk or put the wrong name in the article. Lamar Miller is an average talent, not sure where the lightning or thunder comes from. He got his chance, he showed what he's capable of, let's move on.

IMO, nothing went wrong with Miller, other than not having anyone who could run block worth a damn on the entire team. Cog was the only one who got an above average grade of +1.2 which is nothing. Everyone else sucked, including TE's and Pouncey. I focus on the "Big Uglies" and have never seen a worse run blocking team in Miami.

I was surprised at how well he did, as well as DT with this disaster blocking in front of them. Anyone who thinks Moreno would have done better is kidding themselves. I fully expect him to be better than Moreno this year.

However, I do not yet see answers on the OL in run blocking. Albert is below average, and Miller should buy Shelly dinner every day of camp, as he is a Beast in run block, and will be a huge help IF he can become average in pass protect.

Last year, Miller and DT had nowhere to run, and it's silly to judge him on that. JMO

IMO, nothing went wrong with Miller, other than not having anyone who could run block worth a damn on the entire team. Cog was the only one who got an above average grade of +1.2 which is nothing. Everyone else sucked, including TE's and Pouncey. I focus on the "Big Uglies" and have never seen a worse run blocking team in Miami.

I was surprised at how well he did, as well as DT with this disaster blocking in front of them. Anyone who thinks Moreno would have done better is kidding themselves. I fully expect him to be better than Moreno this year.

However, I do not yet see answers on the OL in run blocking. Albert is below average, and Miller should buy Shelly dinner every day of camp, as he is a Beast in run block, and will be a huge help IF he can become average in pass protect.

Last year, Miller and DT had nowhere to run, and it's silly to judge him on that. JMO

Obviously anyone can see that Moreno has the edge in blocking, but in pure carrying the rock it's not really even close. Speed, elusiveness, quickness......no competition.

nowhere to go, but still managed 4.0 yards a carry? seems to me, they just didn't run enough. But just by watching miller, he's nothing special. Maybe by having a RB that can compete with Miller, will help him get better. Because we all know thomas didn't push miller at all.

Obviously anyone can see that Moreno has the edge in blocking, but in pure carrying the rock it's not really even close. Speed, elusiveness, quickness......no competition.

I don't see the difference in pass protect either. Moreno gave up the same pressure as Miller in 2/3rds of pass block plays. Moreno cannot break big plays but, was VG with Peyton in being steady, and nothing great.

nowhere to go, but still managed 4.0 yards a carry? seems to me, they just didn't run enough. But just by watching miller, he's nothing special. Maybe by having a RB that can compete with Miller, will help him get better. Because we all know thomas didn't push miller at all.

If you keep running into a brick wall, the only thing that makes it feel better is when you stop. I disagree, and think Miller has Bush like skills in running the ball. We shall see.

The article's author must be drunk or put the wrong name in the article. Lamar Miller is an average talent, not sure where the lightning or thunder comes from. He got his chance, he showed what he's capable of, let's move on.

Yeah, he "had his chance" as a rookie with only 51 total snaps (in which he averaged 5.0 YPC), and went in 2013 with a historically atrocious offensive line, and still managed to average 4.3 YPC (above average among all lead backs with 300 + snaps). I'm not saying he is going to be Miami's undisputed feature back for the next decade, but the jury is far from being closed on Lamar. If anything, all he's been is wasted potential, anyone manning the RB position in Miami was set up to fail in 2013. He deserves a chance behind Moreno to play behind an upgraded offensive line this upcoming season.

I'm not buying all the adjustments. We averaged 4.1 yards per carry, which is the same we surrendered even though everyone bemoaned how awful the run defense performed. The running game was fine in many games other than we stupidly abandoned it. Rushing attempts cleanse the entire offense. Our pass protection would have improved if we'd simply run the ball a sufficient number of times.

As another Canes fan posted, Miller is the same guy dating to Killian. The mistake was believing he could do it on his own. He's a complimentary back or someone to split carries evenly. If you ask him to carry the load all of his weaknesses show up.

It was somewhat amusing last offseason when all the Reggie Bush haters wanted to pretend Miller would be equally effective in short yardage and stressed situations as he was as a rookie carrying the ball on first and ten in change up mode. My only surprise was how poorly Miller performed in the handful of occasions he burst into open field. That was money as a Cane. Last season he seemingly got nervous and made too many decisions, along with tightening up. I think that will improve markedly in 2014.

Back
Top Bottom