What were your expectations going into the season? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What were your expectations going into the season?

Did you expect this team to make the playoffs this year?

• Yes (Division Winner)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Yes (Wild Card)

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 69 89.6%

• Total voters
I thought 7-9 wins.

I still do.

Here’s the thing...and THIS I will absolutely stand behind: When it all clicks for this team, whether it’s game 3, game 9, game 12, or game 1 next year...it’s not going to be a gradual thing. It’s going to be a “where the **** did THAT come from?” sort of thing.

I expected our defense to be ranked in the 15-20 range. All I kept hearing was the amazing job that was done with street free agents when we won 5 games last year. I figured with solid NFL starters there would be significant improvement.

I also thought we would scheme our way to a decent pass rush.

I also thought I’d have to drink less in order to watch this team but I was wrong on that aspect as well.

this was my expectations too. Last year I had major concerns about the scheme. It looked a lot like the wide 9 we were running before in too many ways. We couldn’t scheme a pass rush in any way, blitz packages were too predictable, and the communication in the secondary was always an issue. People kept telling me it was the roster And coach Flo was making chicken salad from chicken ****. They even Supposedly hired coaches who were supposed to be better teachers. so I decided to buy the excuse. However after spending 100 million and 3 early draft picks, I see more of the same without the “XFL roster” many had claimed. I definitely don’t see better prepared and smarter players due to all of the teaching going on. Yes over time they may improve a little but that will be due to better talent as it’s apparent that this scheme is the only thing they know how to run.

this was my expectations too. Last year I had major concerns about the scheme. It looked a lot like the wide 9 we were running before in too many ways. We couldn’t scheme a pass rush in any way, blitz packages were too predictable, and the communication in the secondary was always an issue. People kept telling me it was the roster And coach Flo was making chicken salad from chicken ****. They even Supposedly hired coaches who were supposed to be better teachers. so I decided to buy the excuse. However after spending 100 million and 3 early draft picks, I see more of the same without the “XFL roster” many had claimed. I definitely don’t see better prepared and smarter players due to all of the teaching going on. Yes over time they may improve a little but that will be due to better talent as it’s apparent that this scheme is the only thing they know how to run.

I know, I know, I've said this elsewhere . . . I'll look at the stats the last 8 games. To me, this is an 8 game season - games 9>16. Even the most optimistic here expected a bumpy ride early. The downside is, given the unique PS, many teams will get better over the season

Tough schedule I expect us to compete and see much more from the defense this year.

I expected our defense to be ranked in the 15-20 range. All I kept hearing was the amazing job that was done with street free agents when we won 5 games last year. I figured with solid NFL starters there would be significant improvement.

I also thought we would scheme our way to a decent pass rush.

I also thought I’d have to drink less in order to watch this team but I was wrong on that aspect as well.
You heard that from the same ones complaining how crappy we look on defense.

I felt I was very clear in my pre-season posts and reply's.

I felt the first few weeks would be rough, due mostly to the large number of new players coupled to a limited training camp.

I felt that by the end of the year we would be the team nobody wanted to play and would likely make the playoffs.

I haven't seen anything so far that would have me second guessing those opinions.

I debated 5 or 6 wins but went with 6. I always like to post that pick before the prior season ends. I believe I did it in the Draft Forum this time.

As hoops indicated, there is no upside with Fitzpatrick. I was hoping for an interesting season with Rosen then maybe Tua later. I never cared if Tua played much this year. Once Rosen was let go and Fitzpatrick named the starter it became a markedly less interesting season.

Rookies were my primary interest level, particularly the linemen. Downer right now is that Raekwon Davis looks unaware and Hunt doesn't appear to have an NFL starter's body type right now. It's not Dallas Thomas bad but certainly closer to Thomas than the guy who beat him out, Kindley.

I won't give up on Hunt. He's going to need a ton of work.

The upside with Fitzpatrick is simple, you play him to allow your future franchise QB more time to heal a leg injury that should not be rushed and allow Fitz to be the mentor he is great at by all accounts. Rosen on the other hand seems to be lacking in every tangible on a NFL QB level, it doesn't surprise me as I wanted zero part of the kid coming out of college. It was only because Miami got that 2020 2nd in return for him that I even typed it was a good trade, it was basically a loan you give your buddy who pays it back in due fashion, it's no Vegas bank breaker so the risk is minimal at worst.

If Miami goes 8-8 they're doing good this season. Most likely less than that.

I expected us to be a 5-6 win team. A better 5 win team than we were last year, but a lower tier team nonetheless.

Team has still been disappointing this year. Not sure how people can watch our run defense get gashed week in and out and justify paying Godchaux a massive extension.

I'm reading a lot of these threads two weeks into the second year of a rebuild and you'd think we were expected to make the playoffs this year. I'm not saying you can't still be critical of the team/coaching, but I'm just curious to everyone's expectations going into the season.
Honestly I had thought 9-7 before I saw the defense play. Now I'm thinking 6-10. But who knows... O-line looks much improved, so that's great.

I’m not focused on W’s and L’s so much because I’m looking at it as a developmental year. Hopefully, this is the last year for that.

But I do want to see us on the right trajectory. Last year’s performance down the stretch was remarkable considering the crap roster we had. But the team was disciplined, sound, and set up well.

This year, you would like to see much of the same. So far, we are pretty sound for early in the year. Unlike with Gase, penalties are not crippling. The offensive line for the first time in forever looks like it has a bright future. The defensive thought process hasn’t been there but it’s very early and hopefully Boyer is learning what the heat feels like. As DC, if something isn’t working you’ve got to wake up and fix it. It’s on you, now, on the fly. He can turn it around. You’d like to see progress this year.

Last edited:
I am hoping for a 5 win season resulting in high picks next draft in a classic rebuild stylee.

I have a feeling that Flores is one of the coaches that is better during the season than he is during the offseason.

I expected this team to continue the trajectory of the back half of the 2019 season. We we playing good in the secondary, and playing good situational football.All of those gains we had in 2019 appear to be lost and we are starting from scratch again.

Was hoping for 6-8 wins, but more emphasis on improvements on the weak areas(aka a lot of holes).

Offensive line seems to be improved two games into the season. Defense seems like a small dumpster fire. Some positives, but haven't seen much impact out of the front 7 signings.

Run game seems better. Passing game is tbd with Fitz.

Back
Top Bottom