What Will Happen To The Dolphins When Stephen Ross Dies? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Will Happen To The Dolphins When Stephen Ross Dies?

Texans Owner Bob McNair just died at 81. Seahawks Owner Paul Allen died earlier this year at 65. Stephen Ross is 78.

Ross seems like he is in very good shape for his age so this could be far off in the future, but at that age the curtains could drop at any moment. So what is the succession plan?

His wife is a successful jewelry designer and relatively young at 52. I doubt she has any intentions of remaining owner of the Dolphins once her husband passes. He also has 4 children, but 2 are step children. I think he has 2 biological daughters. Will they have any interest in owning the Dolphins?

The family will probably look into selling the team once he passes. Are there any local billionaires who have expressed interest in buying the team in the past? We might be getting near the time when Ross starts selling part of the team to the eventual full owner like Huzienga did.

I wonder if the passing of McNair and other NFL owners has added any sense of urgency to Ross. He has been somewhat patient with incompetent coaches and GMs during his tenure as owner, but that must be wearing on him. I wonder if that sunset on the horizon could finally push him to make a bold move sooner than later.
If Ross dies we go to heaven

Yeah I know Big O loves them, but I had also heard good things from others in the South Florida media as well (some of that may have stemmed from the Mas family missing out on the Marlins, as I know pretty much everyone wanted them over Jeter’s group). The Arisons by far would be my number one choice though.
The Mas family is very tied into the Cuban community. They would have been perfect for the Marlins as baseball is the #1 sports in Cuba. But they are trying to fill the MLS stadium with Cubans based on the location. They are not south Florida people. There is a reason why Joe Robbie took the Dolphins to Miami Gardens and Wayne had the hockey arena built in Sunrise. Both realized that they had to tap into the Broward and Palm Beach County market. Soccer is the same. You have to tap into the South Florida market. I am laughing about that idiot Beckham struggling to put an MLS stadium into Miami. That is so 80s thinking. With the Mas family he has found the perfect partners.
They would not be good for the Dolphins. They are not South Florida oriented.

Arison would be my choice as well though I am not sure if he would be interested.

It definitely should be a local ownership with ties down here. In that case though I am opposed to the Mas family I would still prefer them over another NY ownership.

Do the Arisons have enough money to buy the Dolphins? What would the Dolphins go for today anyway?
Dolphins are valued at 2.5 Billion or so (without the stadium). They have about $400 Million in operating revenue and 70 Mill operating income.

In a sale the Dolphins should get pretty close to their value.

But any sale of the Dolphins probably will include Hard Rock Stadium. That way the owner can double dip into the NFL. Nit sure what the value is but it should be below 1 Billion.

I'm certainly not hoping for his death, I was just wondering what the plan was given his age and the death of other owners recently...

I think Ross's heart is in the right place as owner, he just has a Manhattan real estate sensibility to owning a football team which bungles the whole thing. As we've learned lately, applying a Manhattan real estate sensibility to other very different kinds of organizations, whether it be a football team or [removed] , doesn't really work out too well.

What exactly is a "Manhattan real estate sensibility" and why is not compatible with owning an NFL team?

If Ross dies we go to heaven
Whew! ...Thats great to hear because we are in mediocre football hell while he lives and the sad thing is that he does not give a crabs leg.

How do I know this? He has fielded a losing to middling franchise for years now and next year will be no different. His team suffers from "Institutionalized Losing" Rome burns as he fiddles.

There is a reason why Joe Robbie took the Dolphins to Miami Gardens and Wayne had the hockey arena built in Sunrise. Both realized that they had to tap into the Broward and Palm Beach County market.
Do people from Palm Beach and Broward really object to driving to Miami that much? I know the traffic is rough, but it isn’t really that far, from Broward anyway.

Back
Top Bottom