What Would Dan Marino Do? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Would Dan Marino Do?

ATL_PHIN_FAN

Winner Under Construction
Reaction score
With all of the uncertainty about finding a franchise QB for the Dolphins, ya know what I'd like to know? Who does Dan Marino think is a worthy franchise QB candidate for us to go forward with? He certainly knows what it takes for consistent elite QB play. I would think he'd have an eye for certain innate abilities and skills we'd need.

How much do you think he is consulted by our GM, scouts and coaches? I hope it's often and he's taken very seriously. If so, I'm glad he's around to give Grier the expert opinion of an extremely elite, gifted and experienced HOF franchise QB.

Well, Marino has been "advisor", or whatever around here for a while.
I would think he already has had some input into the QB situation. And, if so, it hasn't been that good.
Hell, you would think John Elway would know about QBs too, but look at what he's had in Denver.
I think the opinions of BOTH of them may be extremely overrated.

With all of the uncertainty about finding a franchise QB for the Dolphins, ya know what I'd like to know? Who does Dan Marino think is a worthy franchise QB candidate for us to go forward with? He certainly knows what it takes for consistent elite QB play. I would think he'd have an eye for certain innate abilities and skills we'd need.

How much do you think he is consulted by our GM, scouts and coaches? I hope it's often and he's taken very seriously. If so, I'm glad he's around to give Grier the expert opinion of an extremely elite, gifted and experienced HOF franchise QB.

Hes’s there to kiss babies and take pictures, nothing more

Gotta meet with players face to face.

Work them out in person.

Whiteboard work.

He could tell us who he thinks looks good on tv (when he has no idea what plays were called, how good his line or receivers or backs are, how good the defense he's playing is, etc.)

Gotta meet with players face to face.

Work them out in person.

Whiteboard work.

He could tell us who he thinks looks good on tv (when he has no idea what plays were called, how good his line or receivers or backs are, how good the defense he's playing is, etc.)

I wonder if he's the reason we stuck with Tannehill so long? Tannehill does have a lot of the skills we'd want, I think. He's just not a natural with subtle pocket movement like Marino was.

<chuckles> . . maybe the real problem was that Danny, nor anyone else, had a clue how to build an offensive line for a QB like Tannehill?

I wonder if he's the reason we stuck with Tannehill so long? Tannehill does have a lot of the skills we'd want, I think. He's just not a natural with subtle pocket movement like Marino was.

<chuckles> . . maybe the real problem was that Danny, nor anyone else, had a clue how to build an offensive line for a QB like Tannehill?
I don't think he had any involvement in Tannehill's length of tenure at all. But who knows?

I think if that were the case, we wouldn't find him at every game beside or near Ross. As well as, most practices I think.

I get that but somehow I just can’t take Danny seriously in that role. Maybe it’s because what happened when Hyzeinga gave him the job, I don’t know, but I hope he grows into it, learns and is valuable in his role someday

Get in somebody's face. Throw around a few F bombs. Go back out and start slinging it.

Oh you mean about QB eval?

I doubt he's qualified. Being the greatest pocket passer in history doesn't equate to being able to spot talent.

Well, Marino has been "advisor", or whatever around here for a while.
I would think he already has had some input into the QB situation. And, if so, it hasn't been that good.
Hell, you would think John Elway would know about QBs too, but look at what he's had in Denver.
I think the opinions of BOTH of them may be extremely overrated.

In all fairness, having input does not mean his advice is paid attention too, except out of politeness.

Maybe we're making it too complicated. Maybe its more about having the right coaching staff to develop the talent.

That and having a complete team. Look at how great Tannehill looks with a running game.

In all fairness, having input does not mean his advice is paid attention too, except out of politeness.

Ok, since I brought this up I've been thinking it over. Of course, innate abilities have to be found and nurtured, but there's one thing franchise QBs like Danny, Elway, Brady and Peyton Manning have in common; they would all play as long as they could whether they got paid or not. They are fierce competitors. They will not be denied, no matter what the odds. Much like we see in Fitzpatrick now. Sadly, Fitz is on the tail end of his career, and doesn't have some of those innate abilities.

BUT, I think we need to find a QB with that combination of competitiveness and leadership. Who's out there and available right now who has IT?

but there's one thing franchise QBs like Danny, Elway, Brady and Peyton Manning have in common; they would all play as long as they could whether they got paid or not.
I never saw ANY of them turn down a contract. Actually a couple HELD OUT for more money. Also, Marino could have came back when Wanny took over, but he didn't want the competition that Wanny said would happen. Marino also had the opportunity to play at Minnesota, and was being heavily courted by Dennis Greene, but he chose NOT to do it.

I never saw ANY of them turn down a contract. Actually a couple HELD OUT for more money. Also, Marino could have came back when Wanny took over, but he didn't want the competition that Wanny said would happen. Marino also had the opportunity to play at Minnesota, and was being heavily courted by Dennis Greene, but he chose NOT to do it.

Haha . . you have a good memory. I do recall that now. Let's not forget how many times Marino, and other past franchise QBs, restructured their contracts so their team could build.

Back
Top Bottom