What would the Dolphins have to do to get USC star receiver Mike Williams? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What would the Dolphins have to do to get USC star receiver Mike Williams?

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
Alex:
Q:What would the Dolphins have to do to get USC star receiver Mike Williams?

A: A supplemental draft will be held later this year if Williams and other underclassmen less than three years removed from high school like Maurice Clarett are allowed to enter the draft. According to what a Dolphins official told me, a lottery would be held at that point among all 32 teams to determine who gets the first overall selection. The lottery odds are skewed so that the teams with the worst records have the best chances of landing the highest picks. Under that scenario, it's highly unlikely the Dolphins would have a legitimate shot at drafting Williams.
:(

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/finsinsider/

He is wrong...........The teams that want to participate "BID" their picks.........The highest pick BID wins the choice.......In Mike Williams case...many teams will bid their 2005 1st round pick....so you may have around 6 or 7 teams drafting for him....THEN the lottery takes place. So in other words....ALL the teams DO NOT PARTICIPATE.....only the ones that bid the highest picks.

So Mr. Marvez was talking out of his A$$.....it never ceases to amaze me how little these Newspaper hacks know.

Section126 said:
He is wrong...........The teams that want to participate "BID" their picks.........The highest pick BID wins the choice.......In Mike Williams case...many teams will bid their 2005 1st round pick....so you may have around 6 or 7 teams drafting for him....THEN the lottery takes place. So in other words....ALL the teams DO NOT PARTICIPATE.....only the ones that bid the highest picks.

So Mr. Marvez was talking out of his A$$.....it never ceases to amaze me how little these Newspaper hacks know.
Soo.... which one of you is right?

P.S. Williams would obviously rock.

!PapaCrunk! said:
So is there a date when the supplemental draft will be happening?

It will only happen if the court rules that players with less than 3 years of college experience can enter the draft. I'm not sure when they will be in court again.

A supplemental draft will be held later this year if Williams and other underclassmen less than three years removed from high school like Maurice Clarett are allowed to enter the draft. According to what a Dolphins official told me, a lottery would be held at that point among all 32 teams to determine who gets the first overall selection. The lottery odds are skewed so that the teams with the worst records have the best chances of landing the highest picks. Under that scenario, it's highly unlikely the Dolphins would have a legitimate shot at drafting Williams.
I think that is right......but in order to be eligible you have to have a first rounder to give up in next year's draft.

did anyone here actually think we had a legitimate shot of acquiring him??

When you have a player of Mike Williams' caliber, you can damn well guarentee just about every team eligible for the supp draft will bid their first round pick on this guy if WR is a need at all, or they have multiple picks.

My guess is that he ends up in SD since they have multiple 1st round picks next year and have a glaring hole at WR, makes the most sense.

I say the Phins have little to NO chance at Williams.

Relax everyone. The NFL has taken a hard line on the whole Williams-Clarett thing. The odds of Williams being in the supplemental draft are slim to begin with.

He is wrong...........The teams that want to participate "BID" their picks.........The highest pick BID wins the choice.......In Mike Williams case...many teams will bid their 2005 1st round pick....so you may have around 6 or 7 teams drafting for him....THEN the lottery takes place. So in other words....ALL the teams DO NOT PARTICIPATE.....only the ones that bid the highest picks

This is splitting hairs, but the supplemental draft order is decided before the bidding starts. They decide the draft order in three groups is what I hear. First are the group of teams with 6 wins or less that didn't make the playoffs, then the group of teams with more than 6 wins that didn't make the playoffs, then the group of teams that made the playoffs. In this scenario all of the teams with 6 wins or less would definitely be ahead of the Dolphins no matter what the results of the lottery. So the best order the Phins could have is pick #14. But the worst order they could have is #20.

Once the order is decided, teams place sealed bids for the players up for the supplemental draft. Lets say 17 teams place a 3rd round bid for William, 10 teams toss in a 2nd round bid for Mike Williams, and 5 teams toss in a 1st round bid for Mike Williams. Well, the teams that only offered up a 3rd or 2nd, are eliminated straight out. From there, of the 5 teams bidding a first rounder, the team with the best draft order wins.

In other words, if the Phins bid their 1st rounder (a possibility given their up-and-down unease with Boston), then for us to win Mike Williams the following teams have to refrain from bidding a 1st rounder: the Bills, Jets, Steelers, Browns, Jaguars, Texans, Raiders, Chargers, Redskins, Giants, Lions, Falcons, and Cardinals.

Of those I could virtually guarantee that the Bills, Jets, Jaguars, Redskins, Giants, Lions, Falcons, and Cardinals would not bid a first rounder. But the Chargers are in desperate need of a good WR, the Steelers could be dealing Plaxico Burress soon (possibly to the Chargers lol) so if they get rid of Plax why not replace him with his twin Mike Williams, the Browns are always just enamoured with drafting WRs in the 2nd round and since the 1st round next year supposedly equals 2nd round this year well, and I think the Texans and Raiders could both use a guy like Mike Williams.

Those are the teams you need to worry about first and foremost. From there, the 49ers, Bucs, Saints, Bears, Vikings, and Bengals...any one or even all five of them could be placed in front of us in the draft order because its done by random lottery. Of those, I would be most scared of the 49ers.

As much as I would love to see Mike Williams in Miami, I just don't think it will happen.

First it would be pretty surprising to even see Williams and Clarrett in the suplemental draft. Then, as posted by ck, there would have to be a good number of teams to pass on him, which I really do not think there will be. He is just too good of a talent to let slip by.

However, I do disagree that the 49ers would take him. They are going to have a really rough year this year (rebuilt oline, and inexperienced Qb's, no TO, etc...) Their 1st rounder next year will probably be real high and they could choose from just about any position they want.

Their roughest position as things stand right now Oboy, is WR, and unfortunately its a pretty important position in their style of offense. They got Rashaun Woods, but their next best WR is Brandon Lloyd. After that, its Derrick Hamilton, Arnaz Battle, Cedrick Wilson, James Jordan, Kahlil Hill, Arland Bruce, and Adam Herzing.

Sure the 1st rounder next year could help them a lot, but with it being used on Williams, it would help them quicker because getting Williams on the field a year earlier puts him ahead of the game in the learning curve.

Oh and I wouldn't say their OL is in disarray or anything I mean they drafted Justin Smiley, managed to get Kwame Harris last year who is a very promising LT, and they have Scott Gragg at RT. When you've got 3 guys like that on your OL, you're OL isn't really in disarray...and the only positions worth using their 2005 first rounder on for the OL are LT or RT and for that they have Gragg and Harris. I think they are prepared to bet their future at RB on Kevan Barlow, and as for the fact that they don't have TO anymore, well thats what Mike Williams is for...and yes, QB is a bit of a problem right now so the real choice will come down to using the 2005 first rounder to get a really good rookie QB who will be the future at the position (but will likely suck in the present), or get Mike Williams now and have your WR position be a strength in 2005 so that whatever QB you plug in will have a chance at succeeding.

ckparrothead said:
Oh and I wouldn't say their OL is in disarray or anything I mean they drafted Justin Smiley, managed to get Kwame Harris last year who is a very promising LT, and they have Scott Gragg at RT. When you've got 3 guys like that on your OL, you're OL isn't really in disarray...and the only positions worth using their 2005 first rounder on for the OL are LT or RT and for that they have Gragg and Harris. I think they are prepared to bet their future at RB on Kevan Barlow, and as for the fact that they don't have TO anymore, well thats what Mike Williams is for...and yes, QB is a bit of a problem right now so the real choice will come down to using the 2005 first rounder to get a really good rookie QB who will be the future at the position (but will likely suck in the present), or get Mike Williams now and have your WR position be a strength in 2005 so that whatever QB you plug in will have a chance at succeeding.

I know this may sound crazy to some, but I wouldn't count out Ken Dorsey just yet the kid may not have the best physical skills but he has the intangebles, hes a leader. As for the Bills being in the hunt for Williams they have no first rd pick to offer so thats at least one less team to worry about.
I do believe SF O-line is in better shape then ours at this point and I also think they would be wise to spend the pick on Williams.

Once this season gets underway, everyone will see that we will not need USC's Mike Williams.....Chambers and Boston will get this job done.....Man, how nice is it to see that two BIG 10 WR's are going to be so pimp....

Back
Top Bottom