What's more important than a QB? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's more important than a QB?

DolphinVJ

Active Roster
Reaction score
The Offensive System a Team runs is more important than any QB. If you have the right system and the talent around a QB that fits a system, even an average QB like Brady can be a star. But you need a smart QB to fully understand and execute the system.

There is not one right or wrong system but the trick is to match your system to the players around it. 49ers did that with Montana and now Patriots with Brady. There have been only a handful of QBs in the last 20 years or so like Marino and Elway that could fit in most systems but then we are talking Hall of Famers here.

The match between Fiedler and Turner were never a good fit. Turner's system calls for deep throws occasionally off of play action which Fiedler was not capable of atleast after his injury in 2002.

I think Feeley will be fine if Collier/Trestman can cater to his strenghts and minimize his weaknesses; thats what good coaches do. Feeley has enough tools to be good.

I don't think giving a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Feeley is bad and I do not believe we will pay him more than $2 Mil a season in the first couple of years that guys like Greg Cote want us to believe. If the average of a 5yr $18 Mil is true I would think it is backloaded and with incentives and Team options in the event he becomes a star.

I think a coach is more important than a QB, you can have all the right players, but if you have a coach that sucks, it really doesn't matter.

I think a coach is more important than a QB, you can have all the right players, but if you have a coach that sucks, it really doesn't matter.

And a good coach makes sure that his system fits his players' strengths.

I think that a Qb is the the most instrumental, along with an OC.

But the Oline dictates the success, the Oline dictates whether or not the offence is given a chance to work.

But the Oline dictates the success, the Oline dictates whether or not the offence is given a chance to work.

Agreed that O-line is important but if your line is not that talented you can still get by if the Coach can work around it. I don't call the Patriots O-line good or talented and if not mistaken they played the SB without Woody or at least a hobbled Woody yet they played great because a smart coach with a good system knows how maximize his players' strengths and hide their deficiencies.

The most important positions on the field are in the trenches. The O-line play is the key to a game, hell give me 5 minutes of protection and I coud be a pretty good QB.......conversely D-line is the key to the D, they give the LBs room to roam and sometimes it only takes 4 Dlineman to dominate the offense.....

Coaching is sooooo important. Look at the "Tuna", he steps in at Dallas and turns the team around.

Wandstedt is simply too conservative, so we'll see if all this talk about opening up the offense is BS.

A Good Defense. An effective running game. A good offensive line.

Just ask Dan Marino.

And Terry Bradshaw.

Dan has a better arm, a better release, better pocket presence, is smarter, got along with his coach a LOT better, is more accurate, and is a better leader than Bradshaw.

So, why does Bradshaw have four Superbowl rings and Marino none?

Simple. The reasons I gave above. QB is only a piece of the puzzle, and not even the most important piece.

Trent Dilfer has a Superbowl ring... need I say more?

No matter how many people go over the deep end because we didn't sign, or trade for, a marquee signal caller, that doesn't change the fact that QB, ultimately, wasn't what held the Dolphins out of the playoffs.

This team will get into the playoffs next season, and beyond, if they improve the offensive line, find another viable option at WR, and stay healthy.

Good attitude, players willing to work as a team & a HC who doesn't make bonehead decisions, etc... you can add a good D in there too.......

what came first the chicken or the egg?

Is basically the question. One doesnt work without the other! Come on guys this is simple stuff! Nothing is MORE important than the QB, but the QB is not the most important role either! The sum of the whole is the most important! A SUPERBOWL VICTORY

The most important position on the field is a kicker that can kick off the dirt when the game and our playoff hopes are on the line.

Re: Re: What's more important than a QB?

Originally posted by Larry Little

A Good Defense. An effective running game. A good offensive line.

Just ask Dan Marino.

And Terry Bradshaw.

Dan has a better arm, a better release, better pocket presence, is smarter, got along with his coach a LOT better, is more accurate, and is a better leader than Bradshaw.

So, why does Bradshaw have four Superbowl rings and Marino none?

Simple. The reasons I gave above. QB is only a piece of the puzzle, and not even the most important piece.

Trent Dilfer has a Superbowl ring... need I say more?

No matter how many people go over the deep end because we didn't sign, or trade for, a marquee signal caller, that doesn't change the fact that QB, ultimately, wasn't what held the Dolphins out of the playoffs.

This team will get into the playoffs next season, and beyond, if they improve the offensive line, find another viable option at WR, and stay healthy.

Excellent Post!!
:up:

Originally posted by chambers84

Touche' !!

Back
Top Bottom