What's My Line? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's My Line?

FinFan57

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Hope springs eternal as we all anticipate a new season with new players, new attitudes, and hopefully a Super Bowl crown. We have all been very frustrated the last several years with quarterback play, poor receivers, up and down special teams play, and even our vaunted defense not showing up for key games.

Oddly enough, if you analyze the Wannstedt era, there is only one determining factor that has equated to W's and that is the offensive line. Our defense has always been talented, Mare has been our only kicker, and our skill players have actually improved over the years (Ricky being the most notable). Yet, we continue to go backwards, why? You can point directly to the offensive line for that answer.

During Wanny's first year as Head Coach, we (me, too) were ready to make him Coach of the Year. He took an inexperienced Jay Fiedler, an emerging defense, and limited skill players and won the AFC East Championship and even won a playoff game. Who did we have on the line that year (Webb, Dixon, Ruddy - his best year as a pro, Donnelly, and Wade - his best year as a pro). Looking back, that was one of the best offensive lines we have had here in years. That line took a recycled Lamar Smith and made him into a star.

Our line has deteriorated over the past 4 years and so has this team. Last year was absolutely dreadful. Conversely, look at New England's underrated line. They blew away a great Carolina front seven. They bought time for Brady. That line makes Brady a star. If he had to play behind our line this year, he would have been knocked out early and suffered through a terrible year.

I'm not crazy about another year of Fiedler, and I believe we need to draft one of those talented wide receivers in the first round of the draft, but clearly the defining segment of the Dolphins that will determine our future this year is the offensive line. It needs to be the priority. We need the two best guards money can buy and make camp as competitive as possible.

Jimmy Johnson never made OL a priority and was lucky enough to draft Erik Williams and Larry Allen in late rounds. He also didn't have to worry about losing those guys to free agency, which would certainly be the case today. I think Wanny adopted Jimmy's philosophy and it came back to haunt him.

Honestly, if we do have a shot at Robert Gallery or Shawn Andrews (if he's in shape), I say take it. It's clear to me that our season is on the line.

Back
Top Bottom