What's the deal with baseball? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's the deal with baseball?

Gilo45

Thank you Chad P!
Reaction score
Hey

So basically I'm new to baseball, being in the UK guarantees zero coverage, all I see of baseball is kids wearing Yankees hats every now and then.

So I guess what I'm asking is like a brief description of the set up and teams, season structure, notable players anc coaches, a brief history etc.
I just got into the football and dolphins thing, and if baseball is half as good it will be worth watching.

And also, I'm supporting the Marlins. If anyone could give me a brief guide of the players and teams current position would be great as well.

One more thing, anywhere I can watch the games?

:thanks:

Here's all you need to know on Major League Baseball:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball
Florida Marlins (soon to be the Miami Marlins):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Marlins

Currently, and ever since their inception, the Marlins have played their home games at Dolphin Stadium, but just yesterday finally passed an agreement to build their new baseball stadium on the old Orange Bowl grounds in Little Havana. The project should be done and ready to open in April of 2012 (Opening Day.)

And as far as watching it goes, I think baseball is one of the most exciting sports to see live. The drama is ridiculous and it's really easy to follow, so I suggest you check out the Fish this year. It's looking like we're going to have a pretty good team this season.

Here's a quick lesson:

-started around the 1800's

- Winningest franchise is the New York Yankees with 26 world championships (16 more than the Cardinals whom are second in that catigory).

-Notable current players: Manny Ramirez, Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Albert Pujos, David Ortiz.

-Notable former players: Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle.

-Regular season games played: 162

As for the Marlins:

-Began play in 1993

-Two World Series championships (1997, 2003)

-Notable former players: Miguel Cabrera, Josh Beckett, Dontrelle Willis, Gary Sheffield, Livan Hernandez, Jeff Conine (known as Mr. Marlin)

-Notable current players: Hanley Ramirez, Dan Uggla, Josh Johnson, Cameron Maybin, Ricky Nolasco

And as far as watching it goes, I think baseball is one of the most exciting sports to see live. The drama is ridiculous and it's really easy to follow, so I suggest you check out the Fish this year. It's looking like we're going to have a pretty good team this season.

Where does the drama come from? As in just general play or time winding down, last chances etc. Cause that's what got me into football, the whole "last chance now or never" adrenaline rush you get on fourth down for example.

Where does the drama come from? As in just general play or time winding down, last chances etc. Cause that's what got me into football, the whole "last chance now or never" adrenaline rush you get on fourth down for example.

Bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, full count, bases loaded, Brewers down 3 runs. Ryan Braun at the dish. Walkoff grandslam.

doesnt get much more dramatic than that.

Well there's no time in baseball--no shot clock or play clock. The game lasts as long as the innings last, and if it's tied you go to extra innings. The drama comes from things like it being in the bottom of the 9th (last chance for the home team) with 2 outs (you get 3 in an inning) and down by 1. It's a sitting-on-the-edge-of-your-seat-type atmosphere, and it's really pretty amazing.

There are few things better in sports than seeing someone on your team come through in the clutch with a big-time RBI (run batted in.)

Cool sounds good

This kind of thing happen regularly, or on the special occasions?

Cool sounds good

This kind of thing happen regularly, or on the special occasions?

There aren't too many blow-outs in baseball, so I'd say it happens pretty regularly. Maybe not the bottom of the 9th down by 1 scenario, but there's tons of drama every inning when your team has runners on or is trying to pitch its way out of a jam.

Bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, full count, bases loaded, Brewers down 3 runs. Ryan Braun at the dish. Walkoff grandslam.

doesnt get much more dramatic than that.

Winning the World Series in the bottom of the 11th in game 7 was a lot more dramatic. :D

Back
Top Bottom