what's the deal with the Marlins? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

what's the deal with the Marlins?

ganooch

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Serious question for you guys who live in South FLorida. What is the story with the Marlins? No new stadium, no fan support. Why is it that they will probably leave town? I know Miami is all Dolphins, but the Marlins have won 2 world series in the past 10 years and are ready to skip town. This is not an attack on the team or the fans but what is the real story?

The city dont want to put any money out for a new stadium:fire: so the fish will have no other choice but head to san antonio:boohoo:

Miami is a god awful sports market across the board

It's tough to sit in that kind of heat for 3 hours to watch a slow moving baseball game.

The current ownership sucks.

well there's a bunch or reason but mostly people just don't give a damn about baseball that much down here

FinFan72 said:
The city dont want to put any money out for a new stadium:fire: so the fish will have no other choice but head to san antonio:boohoo:

I doubt that. San Antone is fading fast. Their little deadline for the Marlins to decide isn't going to do anything, and local politicians in Hialeah voted 12-1 to extend the Urban Development Boundary (UDB), one of the biggest obstacles preventing the Marlins from building in an area east of the Turnpike but west of I-95 north of Hialeah. News is looking skeptically good right now.

RWhitney014 said:
I doubt that. San Antone is fading fast. Their little deadline for the Marlins to decide isn't going to do anything, and local politicians in Hialeah voted 12-1 to extend the Urban Development Boundary (UDB), one of the biggest obstacles preventing the Marlins from building in an area east of the Turnpike but west of I-95 north of Hialeah. News is looking skeptically good right now.

I agree on SA.

Nashville, Vegas, or Portland will be a likely spot for them to land.

MikeO said:
I agree on SA.

Nashville, Vegas, or Portland will be a likely spot for them to land.

No way. Portland has already said they won't give any public funding to a stadium. Nashville is Braves/Cards territory, and neither team will want to give up that enclave. Not to mention Nashville hasn't jumped in yet at this point, so they probably won't.

And Selig is afraid of Vegas. There's a reason why MLB let the Marlins focus on San Antonio as their leverage city. They're going nowhere.

They're still talking about the Marlins and Charlotte on the news here. They want to build a stadium downtown for the minor league team that would seat about 55,000. The mayor would like the Marlins to play there.

I dont think Charlotte is a big enough market to support a baseball team. There is just no way you can get 10-20k people to show up for 162 games. They should just go to Portland and build the stadium themselves. Richardson built an NFL stadium in Charlotte without putting much of his own and none of the taxpayers dollars into it. He just sold seat licences.

the bottom line is the Marlins won't be in Florida in 3 years. Period end of story. They are outta there. There are a bunch of cities who would love to have them, one city will pull something together to get something done.

byroan said:
They're still talking about the Marlins and Charlotte on the news here. They want to build a stadium downtown for the minor league team that would seat about 55,000. The mayor would like the Marlins to play there.

The mayor said a few weeks ago he didn't think Charlotte could accommodate another major league team.

I feel bad for the Marlins.....how can a team that has won a couple world series in a short period of time not get any support. :confused:

Roman529 said:
I feel bad for the Marlins.....how can a team that has won a couple world series in a short period of time not get any support. :confused:
that's what i am saying. Every time i se them play the mets (on tv) dolphin stadium is empty and a great deal of the fans are rooting for the mets. I know the stadium is a football stadium but fans should show up

Back
Top Bottom