What's the worst referee gaffe in Miami Dolphins history? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's the worst referee gaffe in Miami Dolphins history?

Well, I remember the Monday night fiasco against the Jets where Miami lost a huge lead. There were so many blown calls in that game it made me think it was fixed.

you were up 30-7 in the 4th qtr, I don't care if every call was a bad one against Miami you can't lose that game.

1977, NE at Bal. NE wins and Miami wins the division at 10-4 and goes to the playoffs. Trailing the Pats late in the game, Bert Jones misses the handoff deep in NE territory is hit and clearly fumbles, which NE recovered. The refs blew it down by contact (way before that ever existed) and give the ball to Baltimore, who then scores a TD and wins. Absolute, total BS - it was plain as day, everyone saw it, the refs choked (or worse). Miami missed the playoffs because of that.

Man, with all the more recent screw ups by the refs, I had surpressed that that memory. Thanks for bringing it back to the surface. :)

Ben' fumble and the snow plow game are tied at the top for me.

Do all you older Dolfans remember the 1994 AFC Divisional playoff game at San Diego?? When NATRONE MEANS fumbled at the Dolphins 3 yard line and the ball hit the pylon. The Dolphins got the ball but it should have been spotted at the 20. The refs spotted it at the 1 yard line and the next play, BERNIE PARMALEE was tackled behind the line of scrimmage for a safety!! This was the momentum changer in that game and the Dolphins went on to blow a 22-6 lead in that game which would have set the to the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP to play a very beatable Pittsburgh team.
yes very beatable pitt...I dont however think anyone was beating sanfran...I went to a meet and greet after that game and Petey showed up and got booed...I was embarrassed...

What I always like to say however, like you seem to be trying to say, is that its god damn Dan Marino. I dont give a **** who we were playing. On any given Sunday, when your QB is Dan ****ing Marino, the greatest of all time, he could shread the **** out of your defense and drop a 40 spot. I dont care whos defense it is. And while that wasnt likely, it was certainly possible. And yes, it wouldve likely taken that kind of effort, given the fact that the 9ers wouldve lit our defense up. But, who knows, we may have won a shootout. I sure as hell wouldve liked to have had the opportunity.

Yes I completely agree with you. To say Marino had no chance of beating any team is just ridiculous. Let’s not forget, this is the guy who put up a 38 burger on the ’85 Bears defense, a defense that had held 9 of its previous 12 opponents under 10 points. In that game, Miami routed a team that had beat its previous three opponents by a combined score of 104-3. Were the 94 Niners as good as the 85 Bears? Not even close. Marino had a 116 quarterback rating in the 94 playoffs, he was playing at the top of his game, thus making a win against the Niners possible, not likely, but definitely possible.

you were up 30-7 in the 4th qtr, I don't care if every call was a bad one against Miami you can't lose that game.

What? It's ok for the Refs to job a team as long as that team is winning the game? Somehow I think you'd take a different position if that happened to the Jets.

Yes I completely agree with you. To say Marino had no chance of beating any team is just ridiculous. Let’s not forget, this is the guy who put up a 38 burger on the ’85 Bears defense, a defense that had held 9 of its previous 12 opponents under 10 points. In that game, Miami routed a team that had beat its previous three opponents by a combined score of 104-3. Were the 94 Niners as good as the 85 Bears? Not even close. Marino had a 116 quarterback rating in the 94 playoffs, he was playing at the top of his game, thus making a win against the Niners possible, not likely, but definitely possible.

were the '94 phins as good as the '85 phins? not even close.

He put up 38 on Chi but also put up 30 in the last game against NE- in the title game? 14

Marino led his O to 45 & 31 pts in the '84 AFC playoffs- in the SB? 16.

at SD in the 94 playoffs Marino didn't lad his O to a single point in the 2nd half. You can complain about bad calls all you want but not a single point from that offense.

They had NO SHOT against SF '94, they couldn't beat the team SF beat by 23(and the score was much closer than that game)- how were they going to beat SF?

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

What? It's ok for the Refs to job a team as long as that team is winning the game? Somehow I think you'd take a different position if that happened to the Jets.

The dolphins didn't get "jobbed". They blew a historic lead and it had nothing to do w/ any bad calls.

were the '94 phins as good as the '85 phins? not even close.

Actually it was very close, and Marino was better in 94 than he was in 85, so I’d give the edge to the 94 Fins, you just can’t get this right can you?

He put up 38 on Chi but also put up 30 in the last game against NE- in the title game? 14

Marino led his O to 45 & 31 pts in the '84 AFC playoffs- in the SB? 16.

This is all completely irrelevant, he put up 38 points on the greatest defense ever to play the game; he won a game you’d say he had no shot of winning. Case closed, end of discussion.

They had NO SHOT against SF '94, they couldn't beat the team SF beat by 23(and the
score was much closer than that game)- how were they going to beat SF?

Do you even watch football? Lol. Team A beats Team B but then loses to Team C who lost to Team B. This sort of trading on and off happens ALL THE TIME. Dan Marino could beat anybody. I have picked apart every single one of your silly arguments. You tried to argue it was not the free agency era, which I pointed out it was. You tried to argue the Niners’ D was just too good, but then I pointed out that even the 85 Bears’ defense wasn’t too good for Marino to light up. Do you have any other arguments to toss out there?

The dolphins didn't get "jobbed". They blew a historic lead and it had nothing to do w/ any bad calls.

Changing your tune again I see, this is really becoming your M.O. First it was “it doesn’t matter if there were bad calls in that game, Miami still should have won.” But now it’s “There were no bad calls in that game.” Very convenient.

Actually it was very close, and Marino was better in 94 than he was in 85, so I’d give the edge to the 94 Fins, you just can’t get this right can you?

This is all completely irrelevant, he put up 38 points on the greatest defense ever to play the game; he won a game you’d say he had no shot of winning. Case closed, end of discussion.

Do you even watch football? Lol. Team A beats Team B but then loses to Team C who lost to Team B. This sort of trading on and off happens ALL THE TIME. Dan Marino could beat anybody. I have picked apart every single one of your silly arguments. You tried to argue it was not the free agency era, which I pointed out it was. You tried to argue the Niners’ D was just too good, but then I pointed out that even the 85 Bears’ defense wasn’t too good for Marino to light up. Do you have any other arguments to toss out there?

Changing your tune again I see, this is really becoming your M.O. First it was “it doesn’t matter if there were bad calls in that game, Miami still should have won.” But now it’s “There were no bad calls in that game.” Very convenient.

He's a troll dude. You cant get involved with him in football debate.

Not only that, he can be generally clueless at times. He does have a decent understanding of the game when you talk to him about non phins issues, in fact he knows more than a lot of people who post here. But, when it comes to the phins its pointless to argue with him. He will spin anything to rationalize his belief.

Heres one thing we do know however. The Jets ****ing blow, arent going to win anything meaningful anytime soon, and are likely to implode this season as we all laugh hard at their expense. So you can run and tell that homeboy.

He's a troll dude. You cant get involved with him in football debate.

Not only that, he can be generally clueless at times. He does have a decent understanding of the game when you talk to him about non phins issues, in fact he knows more than a lot of people who post here. But, when it comes to the phins its pointless to argue with him. He will spin anything to rationalize his belief.

Heres one thing we do know however. The Jets ****ing blow, arent going to win anything meaningful anytime soon, and are likely to implode this season as we all laugh hard at their expense. So you can run and tell that homeboy.

You're probably right, but it's just so annoying to read his posts sometimes!

Matrino had similar season sin '84 & '95 except he had a better D in '85 and the team won 2 more games in a tougher division.

They were at home on an emotional Monday Night(when MNF actually meat something), Chi was also w/o jim McMahon and due for a letdown. They had a chance at home, they never would have had a chance in New orleans in the SB.

Dan Marino could beat anybody? why only 1 SB app? why never close to winning a SB?

changing what tune? what did I change? you lost b/c you choked, not b/c of bad calls. Again, even if you had nothing but bad calls there's no excuse blowing a 23 pt 4th qtr lead.

Are you struggling w/ reading? I wrote: "They blew a historic lead and it had nothing to do w/ any bad calls." and you see "There were no bad calls in that game".

All of these discussions are irrelevant b/c in '85 Miami got smashed by a WC team at home in the title game, in '94 they couldn't even reach the title game. They weren't worthy to even play such great teams like '85 Chi or '94 SF.

Matrino had similar season sin '84 & '95 except he had a better D in '85 and the team won 2 more games in a tougher division.

Similar because they were both great years, but his stats were better in 94 and his playoff passer rating was better in 94.

They were at home on an emotional Monday Night(when MNF actually meat something), Chi was also w/o jim McMahon and due for a letdown. They had a chance at home, they never would have had a chance in New orleans in the SB.

So the reason Marino was able to put up 38 points on the Chicago defense was because Jim wasn’t playing quarterback for the Bears? Must be New York logic.

Dan Marino could beat anybody? why only 1 SB app? why never close to winning a SB?
Greatest quarterback to ever play the game, enough said. Even Mike Ditka admits that Marino was the reason his bears went 15-1.

Are you struggling w/ reading? I wrote: "They blew a historic lead and it had nothing to do w/ any bad calls." and you see "There were no bad calls in that game".

Wait, so now you are saying there were bad calls in that game but they just didn’t impact the outcome of the game? You’re tough to pin down on a coherent line of reasoning.

They weren't worthy to even play such great teams like '85 Chi or '94 SF.

So if the only team who actually beat the 85 Bears wasn’t “worthy” to take the field against them, then who was? Given your line of reasoning people should be completely fine with the NFL just calling games before they happen because one team Is heavily favored. You really think America would have been fine with the 94 Niners just being given the title and not even having to play the Chargers? Of course not, because most people realize that upsets happen. I am sorry you haven’t gotten to that point yet, you’ll learn.

Similar because they were both great years, but his stats were better in 94 and his playoff passer rating was better in 94.

So the reason Marino was able to put up 38 points on the Chicago defense was because Jim wasn’t playing quarterback for the Bears? Must be New York logic.

Greatest quarterback to ever play the game, enough said. Even Mike Ditka admits that Marino was the reason his bears went 15-1.

Wait, so now you are saying there were bad calls in that game but they just didn’t impact the outcome of the game? You’re tough to pin down on a coherent line of reasoning.

So if the only team who actually beat the 85 Bears wasn’t “worthy” to take the field against them, then who was? Given your line of reasoning people should be completely fine with the NFL just calling games before they happen because one team Is heavily favored. You really think America would have been fine with the 94 Niners just being given the title and not even having to play the Chargers? Of course not, because most people realize that upsets happen. I am sorry you haven’t gotten to that point yet, you’ll learn.

His passer rating through 2 playoff games in '84 & '94 were almost identical, the '94 version did it through WC and div rd, the '84 versions did it through div and title game- big difference.

Everything was going Miami's way, sometimes momentum can do that. it was an emotional night w/ the '72 team in attendance, the Marc Buoniconti Miami project stuff and the dolphisn caught Chicago on a bad night. It happens, it wasn't happening in January. Again, you couldn't even beat a WC team at home so it's pointless to discuss whether you could have beaten possibly the greatest team of all time in the SB.

He's top 5, I wouldn't say he was the greatest and again never got to another SB. I don't blame him, he didn't have the most talented teams around him but when you say "marino could beat anyone" the proof doesn't reflect that in january.

I didn't say there were or weren't bad calls, I saisd even if there were that's no excuse for blowing a 30-7 4th qtr lead. try to keep up, I know your mind is racing trying to come up w/ new excuses but please read the posts.

You had a chance at home against a WC team in the championship game, against a team you hadn't lost to in Miami since the 60s and you got crushed so no you were not worthy to face the Bears in the Super Bowl.

There's not a person in the world who knows anything about football that thought SD had a chance. Everyone knows the SB in those days was really played in the NFC Championship Game.

Do all you older Dolfans remember the 1994 AFC Divisional playoff game at San Diego?? When NATRONE MEANS fumbled at the Dolphins 3 yard line and the ball hit the pylon. The Dolphins got the ball but it should have been spotted at the 20. The refs spotted it at the 1 yard line and the next play, BERNIE PARMALEE was tackled behind the line of scrimmage for a safety!! This was the momentum changer in that game and the Dolphins went on to blow a 22-6 lead in that game which would have set the to the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP to play a very beatable Pittsburgh team.

I was at the Murph for that game. Drove down from Ventura and had seats next to ex Dolphin Shawn Lees wife. The score was 21-6, not 22-6 because we lost 22-21. We may well have beaten Pittsburgh, but the Niners would have rolled us in the SB, like they did the Chargers.

This! I remember watching this with my dad when I was 8 years old and being completely outraged. HAHA

Back
Top Bottom