What's Up With all these "Future" Contracts??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's Up With all these "Future" Contracts???

Dolfan02

Somebody kick Huizenga for me
Reaction score
The Miami Dolphins just signed another 3 players to "future" contracts, I'm just wondering just what exactly is this non-sense? I think we've already signed 9 or so players to "future" contracts. Either these guys have received future practice squad contracts (which is junk), or the team is reporting garbage nowadays, or Wanny is quickly and effectively destroying this team on purpose during this time he still has little power left.

:m83: :shout:

I think future contracts are contracts that you start getting payed only if you make the final roster.. that is when your salary is determined, whenyou mkae the final roster.. i think that is what it means..

its kind of like NFL minimum wage in offseason. doesnt count against cap. I like what i am seeing. they are not resting and are looking at other teams guys with potential. maybe find another Ogun? we seem to do that every year since speilman has been here.

I think it means that the contracts take effect in late February (after the 2003 contract year expires). But I really don't know.

Originally posted by dolfans1988
I think future contracts are contracts that you start getting payed only if you make the final roster.. that is when your salary is determined, whenyou mkae the final roster.. i think that is what it means..

I believe your guess doesn't make much sense. If the player SIGNS a future CONTRACT, a highly doubt it means you'll only get paid (not payed) if you make the final roster. I'm positive by receiving a contract they will be seeing money from the Dolphins, the question is how much and how it will impact other possible signings?

Don't you find it highly speculative that the conditions have not been discussed other than the term "future" including those quotations?? Think about it. I have to wonder if Wanny has created a scheme to screw the team is he's not here after next season.

Cmon man. This is ridiculous. This is standard operation procedure for all NFL teams. I know you don't like Wanny. But this is a little much.

In stock market terms, a "future" or "Option" purchase gives you the right...but not the obligation to purchase the stock. All option contracts have an expiration date.

Basically, the Dolphins...as are many other teams...are purchasing the right to sign players to contracts when the season is officially over.

It's no big deal. We trying to sign as many FA's that can help make this a better team.

Originally posted by Muck
Cmon man. This is ridiculous. This is standard operation procedure for all NFL teams. I know you don't like Wanny. But this is a little much.

:lol: As I said, "I have to wonder..." I never said it was certain. But being speculative can prevent disasters.

Originally posted by Dolfan02
But being speculative can prevent disasters.

Wives and girlfriends not withstanding. :tongue:

All the contracts that are to expire in 2003 do so the same day, the last day of the season. I thought that day is to be 3/01/04 but someone was saying 2/28/04. Any way they should all expire the day before the new year 3/02/04 starts.

These players that were signed to future contracts are being signed for 2004 and 2005.

Last edited by a moderator:
1988 was correct in his assessment, future contracts only become valid if the player makes the regular season roster.

As for you Dolfan02, why go off on the guy when you start a thread by stating you have absolutely no idea as to what these things are. If you'd really think about it, his guess made perfect sense in that there are close to 80 players who work out with each team during training camp and only 53 of them make the final roster. Do you think every single one of those other 27 scrubs' contracts who get cut count against the cap? GET REAL! Think before you type bro and you'll save yourself a lot of anguish. :shakeno:

Thanks cranx, i thought i heard something like that on tv , i forgot from where though..

Originally posted by Cranx
1988 was correct in his assessment, future contracts only become valid if the player makes the regular season roster.

The contracts are valid. What you may be thinking is that the paragraph 5 salary will not be paid until the playing season starts. If the contract has a signing bonus or the player attends the preseason workouts or classes he gets paid these amounts. He also gets paid reasonable travel expenses.

Any player can be cut and then the contract is void.

There are players who will be alloacted to NFL Europe. Not on will count against the cap unless they make the roster AFTER the NFLE season, and AFTER training camp.

Signing guys to minimum contracts doesn't 1 penny against us.

Back
Top Bottom