Whats up with the Pats? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Whats up with the Pats?

It will be interesting to see what the Pats do. Do you think that news you are talking about might involve Arrington? I heard a rumor a while back that the Pats were interested in him.

I hail from the land of "All Things Redskins" so I've seen Arrington a lot in action.

His rep: tremendous athlete, very stubborn, very undisciplined.

I tend to think if Joe Gibbs can't get you to toe-the-line, good luck - no matter if it's Bill Belichick or Nick Saban working with him....but who really knows?

Two BIG knocks against him as far as coming to the Pats:
1) He's represented by the Postons. Bob Kraft has lived through enough messes with these clowns in the past I think, at this point, to think twice about signing a client of theirs.
2) Arrington want big bucks. The Pats have got about $16MM or so to spend last time I checked, but they still need to sign their rooks, try to extend Branch and Seymour, and bring in another 4-5 FA vets to fill roster spots. I simply think the Arrington may be out of their price range with all the other things they need to do this offseason.

The one BIG reason to at least consider him:
1) They need a monster to replace McGinest as OLB.

Wandering Athol said:
Thanks for the reply TNG. Just doing a little offseason check-up on who I feel will be the Pats' primary competition for the next few years.

I should also have noted that this is typically the point in the offseason (after the owners' meetings) that the Pats start wheeling and dealing...expect some news by the end of next week. :cooldude:

I thought this same thing, then I thought, who the hell is out there???? and how much of that cash are they going to need to keep seymour happy? I know that the pats deal is to not pay the big bucks and all, but seriously, how many more folks can they just let walk? (I know that seymour is locked in this season)

nephinsfan said:
I thought this same thing, then I thought, who the hell is out there????
There are 242 remaining players (as of this Tuesday), including 144 UFAs, according to ESPN and the NFL. I imagine a few of them have to be somewhat decent, even if most don't bring much pizzazz.

nephinsfan said:
and how much of that cash are they going to need to keep seymour happy?
Not worried so much about cash (as the Pats are one of the richest franchises in the NFL), as I am cap space. Seymour's due to eat up about $3MM more or it (more-or-less I figure) in 2006; Branch will take another $4MM of it.

nephinsfan said:
I know that the pats deal is to not pay the big bucks and all, but seriously, how many more folks can they just let walk? (I know that seymour is locked in this season)
Good question. I think they would've and could've had Vinatieri if they had played their cards differently. Now, it's a crapshoot as to who's going to be the next placekicker (maybe the Fins would be so kind as to cut Mare?). There's just no way they could've kept the big-money guys (Givens, McGinest, or even Ashworth for that matter) once they had those competing offers.

The Pats will have to get by with minimum salaried (see Mel Mitchell and Eric Warfield) and maybe a couple of mid-level signing vets (Reche Caldwell) and their 11 draft picks this upcoming season. This will be an interesting year for certain.

(maybe the Fins would be so kind as to cut Mare?).

Saban was looking at other kickers, but Vinitari and ''that idiot kiker'' were picked up so he is staying put.

1) They need a monster to replace McGinest as OLB.

There's plenty of LBs in the drfat for NE to take so I wouldn't be worried if I were you.

Back
Top Bottom