Whats wrong with Garcia as QB?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Whats wrong with Garcia as QB??

texasPHINSfan

Pro Bowl
Reaction score
other than the obvious off-field problem he recently had (which i fear may be a direct result of him finding out he's going to be let go this offseason), what is wrong with him as a QB?

he had one of the highest QB ratings at the end of this season after he came back from his "injury." he had 9 TD passes to 2 INT's.... those are pretty solid numbers - PLUS he can scramble wayyy better than brunell or johnson, and considering the condition of our O-line, we NEED a good scrambler.

**and as i mentioned in another thread, i had Garcia as my QB on my fantasy league, and he did great for me. a lot better than any dolphins quarterbacks all year.....

Last edited by a moderator:
He's early 30's - 33, 34. He also doesn't have the big arm. He has bouts of inaccuracy and he throws too many low balls. And he has a long term back problem that limits his mechanics and will cut his career.

Originally posted by Boomer
He's early 30's - 33, 34. He also doesn't have the big arm. He has bouts of inaccuracy and he throws too many low balls. And he has a long term back problem that limits his mechanics and will cut his career.
But other than that he's a stud, right? :lol:

well, i had meant versus brunell, warner, or johnson.... and what you described here:

Originally posted by Boomer

...could be used to describe any of those guys.

i'm still not convinced that garcia would not be good for us....

Garcia is at the top of my FA list. He has some limitations and isn't a long term solution, but I feel he has fewer limitations than the other FAs available.

Originally posted by Wakey
The main thing that I can think of is that Jay Fiedler is a much better QB than him.

I wish this were true, but Garcia has reached performance levels that JF could only dream of. Even this season after coming off an iinjury Garcia got a higher QB rating than JF despite TO's best attempts at being a cancer and pass dropping machine.

Garcia will only succeed if he is in an offense what will not ask him to throw the ball deep. He has to be in a dink and dunk passing offense.

Originally posted by KBISBACK
Garcia will only succeed if he is in an offense what will not ask him to throw the ball deep. He has to be in a dink and dunk passing offense.

I disagree. In SF's last two games this year Erickson became involved in the game plan and added several deep passes. Garcia played well in those games.

KB, this just comes down to our general disagreement as to how important arm strength is and how much arm strength is nec. for various offenses.

You should have already seen enough with Jay Fiedler's lack of arm strength severely effecting the Dolphins vertical passing game. Garcia's arm is not much better, if any, than Jay's. The reason San Francisco is even considering going to Tim Rattay is because Rattay is better at getting the ball down the field.

Garcia cannot play in a Norv Turner offense where deep outs and deep posts are considered staples in the passing game.

Whats wrong with Garcia? well i can think of a very good reason....hes NOT Eli Manning, and hes not a Dan Marino either. If any new QB coming up in the draft is going to be anything close to Marino, it will be Manning.

Originally posted by KBISBACK
You should have already seen enough with Jay Fiedler's lack of arm strength severely effecting the Dolphins vertical passing game. Garcia's arm is not much better, if any, than Jay's. The reason San Francisco is even considering going to Tim Rattay is because Rattay is better at getting the ball down the field.

Garcia cannot play in a Norv Turner offense where deep outs and deep posts are considered staples in the passing game.

Garcia's passes have much more velocity than JF's. I've seen him complete the deep outs/ins and hit as many deep passes (% wise) as most other QBs. IMO he has enough arm strength for this O. He is also more accurate and at least as mobile as JF. The main thing, however, is that he makes better decisions than JF and that is the most important criteria for a QB.( and it can't just be learned by anybody, too many guys with howitzers for arms are working construction b/c they didn't have the mental game.)

There are a lot of quarterbacks who have the mental game that aren't in the league because they don't have the arm. Danny Wuerfful. Josh Heupel. Steve Walsh. The list goes on and on.

I wish Fiedler would go to SF to prove my point. If TO is gone it would be different but Fiedler is a better QB than Garcia.

What reason do you have to believe he is better than Garcia. Garcia moves around and hits the open target. Fiedler moves around and misses the target. Simple as that.

Back
Top Bottom