When can we evaluate our "redshirts?" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

When can we evaluate our "redshirts?"

islandah

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I was thinking about our team needs and it occured to me that the solutions to most of our positional needs, barring QB, could already be on the roster. Theoretically, we have injured or young players that are coming back who have potential to be the answer(s), but I don't think we can know that until it's too late.

Think about it- what are the positions everyone points to, besides QB, and the young or injured players that have good potential but haven't yet had a chance to prove themselves one way or another:
OL, specifically LT- Alabi
Secondary- Poole, Shirdonna Mitchell, Kiwaukee Thomas, Yeremiah Bell
DT-Manny Wright, Vickerson

I'm not saying all, or even any of these guys will pan out, but if you knew before the draft, it could drastically change your draft priorities. I mean, if Poole and Mitchell both live up to hype, you may forego picking cb and concentrate on safety. Then again, if they suck, but Bell impresses, maybe you go the other way. If Wright and Vickerson turn into Timbo and Gardner, DT looks good for years to come. If they don't, DT is a priority.

Is there an opportunity pre-draft for these guys to be seriously evaluated?

One of the stated reasons that Saban has so many coaches is so that the young guys can receive more coaching and individualized attention. These guys are being evaluated all the time.

Kiwaukee Thomas is not a redshirt player. He has been in the league a while and played extensively for us on special teams and a little in the nickel package.

I think the coaches have a good idea which of our guys can play and which can't, even if they haven't been in game action.

I'm really interested in Mitchell.

From what I understand, he was a Devin Hester type of player.

Balls out fast, played receiver initially, and only got one (or so) year starting at cornerback.

I don't know how he performed. I really don't know anything about him other than the fact that he's likely the fastest player on our team.

Having gone to all the games and seeing Alabi on the sideline from behind, this guy's shoulders are almost as broad as the other linemen with their pads on and his arms are so long that his hands touch the floor. I like his prospects.

Love Manny.

Bell, Thomas, even poole...these are not redshirts.

Back
Top Bottom