When Dolphins trade 1st round picks to you, you go to Superbowl | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

When Dolphins trade 1st round picks to you, you go to Superbowl

BlueUndertow

Active Roster
Reaction score
Last two years all the teams (KC Chiefs, SF 49ers, PHI Eagles ) in the Superbowl have traded first round picks with the Dolphins in the last 3 years.

Other teams that traded first round picks (Packers / Steelers) with the Dolphins since 2020 made the playoffs this year .

Is trading a 1st round picks with the Dolphins the recipe to to the playoffs?

Yep. You’ve solved the 50 year riddle that the Dolphins haven’t been able to figure out. Now all they have to do is figure out a way to trade themselves their own first round pick and, finally they will be in the Super Bowl again.
I know! Pretty crazy huh?

I'm just pointing out what could be a very weird coincidence or something else.

In any case, the Dolphins are on the longest playoff win drought in the NFL now since the Lions got off the list.

Every team the Dolphins traded a 1st round pick to since 2020 has won a playoff game in the last 3 years.

Irrelevant coincidence.

KC goes to the Super Bowl regardless of who they got a first round pick from for Tyreek.

Niners are going to the SB despite giving away their picks.

We also traded a first round pick to Denver and their franchise imploded.

Nothing to see here.

I know! Pretty crazy huh?

I'm just pointing out what could be a very weird coincidence or something else.

In any case, the Dolphins are on the longest playoff win drought in the NFL now since the Lions got off the list.

Every team the Dolphins traded a 1st round pick to since 2020 has won a playoff game in the last 3 years.
I remember when Miami had a streak of beating that year’s Super Bowl champion during the regular season. I think it happened like three or four years in a row.

Yep. You’ve solved the 50 year riddle that the Dolphins haven’t been able to figure out. Now all they have to do is figure out a way to trade themselves their own first round pick and, finally they will be in the Super Bowl again.
We trade our pick to a team and then trade back for it

What about Denver (ya know the team we slapped a 70 on) Didn’t we trade a first to them for Chubb
They ain’t headed to Super Bowl anytime soon!
I forgot about Denver! Denver ended up somewhat decent after we put up 70 on, but yeah not Superbowl bound. Maybe they will surprise in the next couple though I don't expect it.

Last edited:
Steve Ross: "Hold my Centrum Silver!"

If you want to go further back the Colts won the 1970 season Super Bowl just months after the Dolphins were fined a first round pick for Robbie tampering to acquire Shula.

Cleveland didn't make it. But that was uncomfortably close. The Browns drafted Mike Phipps with the first round pick from Miami in the Warfield trade. Phipps was the quarterback who nearly pulled the first round upset in 1972. The Browns led 14-13 in the middle of the 4th quarter before Morrall hit Warfield on a deep crossing pattern. That play came out of nowhere and IMO is the most pivotal play in franchise history.

Let's see, we gave San Francisco a first round pick and Freddie Solomon for Delvin Williams during the late '70s. It might be a stretch to say that pick propelled the 49ers to '80s Super Bowl glory. But the guy San Francisco picked with our choice did make a very famous play during the first Super Bowl victory in the 1981 season. Dan Bunz was a tough guy linebacker without ideal agility. Very high profile small college player. As I've emphasized, it's preposterous to claim that nobody knew anything about college prospects before Kiper and the internet. I could have told you all about Dan Bunz courtesy of how many times ABC showed his highlight clips and how frequently he was summarized by Joel Buchsbaum and Pro Football Weekly.

The best play of his pro career was a goal line stop on Charles Alexander that helped thwart the Bengals' late rally. Alexander was from LSU and a heralded prep who had plenty of similarities to Leonard Fournette. In the lead up to the 1979 NFL Draft there was great debate toward who was the better back and would be taken first between Alexander and O.J. Anderson of the Canes. Totally different styles. Alexander was a slasher while Anderson had amazing jitterbug feet. Alexander was expected to be picked before Anderson. Instead the Cardinals grabbed Anderson several spots before Cincinnati took Alexander. I was always disgusted that Anderson's prime years were spent with a poor team and small market. He could have been a mega star elsewhere.

Granted the 49ers trade for the pick that got them Trey Lance didn't help the 49ers at all, yet here they are... Superbowl.

Some teams screw up their first round QB pick and manage to snag a franchise QB with their Mr. Irrelevant pick within a few seasons.

We screw up our first round QB pick and take a decade to figure it out and recover.

Some teams screw up their first round QB pick and manage to snag a franchise QB with their Mr. Irrelevant pick within a few seasons.

We screw up our first round QB pick and take a decade to figure it out and recover.

Not sure if you’re referring to Tannehill but he was 3rd ALL time in passing yards his first 4 seasons in league behind Manning and Marino. He’s 5th right now since Herbert and Dak passed him. He did that throwing to Brian Hartline, Devon Bess or Jarvis Landry, and/or Mike Wallace.

Not saying passing yards is the only barometer of team success but Tannehill was hardly the problem. I’d argue the Dolphins ruined him since he’s got worse at passing as his career went on.

Not sure if you’re referring to Tannehill but he was 3rd ALL time in passing yards his first 4 seasons in league behind Manning and Marino. He’s 5th right now since Herbert and Dak passed him. He did that throwing to Brian Hartline, Devon Bess or Jarvis Landry, and/or Mike Wallace.

Not saying passing yards is the only barometer of team success but Tannehill was hardly the problem. I’d argue the Dolphins ruined him since he’s got worse at passing as his career went on.

He made a legendary throw against Baltimore that one year on 4th down, 40-45 yards in the air on the money to get us in FG range for a potentially winning (or tying) kick. And then he was subsequently mobbed on three straight plays with no pass blocking and we couldn't get a FG off. That throw was epic though.

I loved RT17. Easily the toughest SOB I've ever seen play QB. Not many guys who couldn't QB'd those Dolphins teams.

Last two years all the teams (KC Chiefs, SF 49ers, PHI Eagles ) in the Superbowl have traded first round picks with the Dolphins in the last 3 years.

Other teams that traded first round picks (Packers / Steelers) with the Dolphins since 2020 made the playoffs this year .

Is trading a 1st round picks with the Dolphins the recipe to to the playoffs?
What happened to Denver?

Back
Top Bottom