When is Strikeforce going to learn? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

When is Strikeforce going to learn?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Strikeforce is 0-3 with their big build ups of fights. Instead of letting the fighters actions sell the fights and letting the the match up be what is important, they continually hype a fighter and it seems to blow up in their face. First there was Slice who was eager, but lacked the necessary skill to seriously contend in the world of MMA. Then there was Gina Carano. She was a good looking woman who they thought they could promote woman's MMA. Instead of hyping the matches they hyped her and discarded her like a bag of donuts when Cyborg kicked her butt.(On a side note, I dislike woman's MMA. I don't like seeing women beating the crap out of women. Although many of them might be able to beat the crap out of me.:D) Then they screwed the pooch with Fedor. Although the hype was justified, Fedor picked the wrong nite to make a mistake and lose the first fight he has lost in 10years. I think Fedor's handlers have done him a disservice by not allowing him to fight the best opponents. I think the guys behind him are probably Russian Mob, more interested in the money than the well-fare of the fighter.

Fedor is still the best there is.

Delayed gratification is gratification denied

June, 30, 2010By Jake Rossen

mma_e_st_pierre_576-1.jpg
Dave Mandel/Sherdog.comBy the time Georges St. Pierre faces Anderson Silva in the Octagon, fans may no longer care.
There's a big lesson buried in the UFC of 1994-95, and it's something Scott Coker and Strikeforce should have done some remedial reading on prior to last weekend.
After UFC 1, an event at which Royce Gracie squeezed Ken Shamrock into submission, the biggest fight possible for the promotion was a rematch. Shamrock injured himself before UFC 2, but both he and Gracie showed up for UFC 3.
And were kept as far apart from each other as possible.
Uh-huh.
For the promoters to make the match that people really wanted, both of them would have had to navigate a semi- and quarterfinal round. Shamrock managed it; Gracie exhausted himself trying to contain Kimo and made it back to the cage only to throw in the towel. Ads for this show depicted Gracie and Shamrock locked in mortal (i.e., posed) combat. Card subject to change, promoters subject to stupidity.
The UFC's organizers learned their lesson very quickly: When you have a fight that fans want to see, don't kick dirt around in an attempt to sensationalize it further. When UFC 5 came around, Gracie and Shamrock were thrown together in a "Superfight" outside of the tournament draw. The match stunk, but at least it happened.
The lesson was short-lived. Today, promoters are obsessed with maximizing tension for high-interest fights. There's talk of "building" athletes and drawing out anticipation. This almost never works.
Strikeforce's money fight got flushed when Fedor Emelianenko was triangle-choked by Fabricio Werdum on Saturday. Interest in Emelianenko versus Alistair Overeem has waned, and it wouldn't even be permissible considering Overeem is champion. (Challengers usually need to win fights, not lose them, though this didn't bother them in the case of Brett Rogers.) By insisting that Emelianenko -- who already had a massive media presence thanks to Affliction and his boardroom UFC rivalry -- be "built up," they have forever lost the event status of the fight.
http://espn.go.com/extra/mma/blog/_/name/mma/id/5343398/delayed-gratification-gratification-denied

strikefoce is garbage. they have like 4 good fighters. and shields is as good as gone to the ufc

Lol what? Fedor, Diaz, Antonio Silva, Arlovski, Jake Shields, Brett Rodgers, Fabricio Werdum, King Mo, Mousasi, Dan Henderson, Robbie Lawler, Cung Le, Gilbert Melendez, Josh Thompson, KJ Noons,

Back
Top Bottom