When to Gamble? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

When to Gamble?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
That's a question a lot of teams will face right off the bat. Vince Young is the ultimate gamble near the top of the draft. He has the potential to redefine the position if he gets with the right coaching staff/organization. Personally, I think he makes it because the kid has incredible will. But he won't be an immediate qb fix and will need time to develop.

Other gambles also could come early including Antonio Cromartie. Cromartie could be the next Deon Sanders or the next Yatil Green. The thing is you can't just dismiss injuries and a player who doesn't make it to the field is a big gamble. With Cromartie, I wouldn't gamble in the 1st. There is just too much talent in this draft. Maybe in the 2nd, definitely in the 3rd. I bet a team takes him in the 1st, though, but I say let them.

Jason Allen, of Tennessee, might be the ultimate gamble. Unlike Cromartie, he has had more than one serious injury. I like his talent, but wouldn't touch Allen on the first day of the draft. With his injury history, Allen will likely spend time on the DL -- maybe a lot.

In a sense, every pick is a bit of a gamble but these three come immediately to mind.

all teams gamble at some point. You never know how anyone will play on the next level. Injurys or not. But when the gamble pays off, it is a steal. Look at us and Crowder. His knees were bad comingoutta college. He was a first round pick at one point, but due to those knees he fell. We took him anyways and look at the steal of the draft we got!!!! Gambling is a good thing sometimes.

Think about guys who are supost to be sure things coming outta college. you might get the next Ryan Leif. Im from WSU, and trust me, there is nothing more I would like to burry my head in the dirt than that situation. He was suppost to be good, never a gamble at all. Look at that one!

playmaker1 said:
all teams gamble at some point. You never know how anyone will play on the next level. Injurys or not. But when the gamble pays off, it is a steal. Look at us and Crowder. His knees were bad comingoutta college. He was a first round pick at one point, but due to those knees he fell. We took him anyways and look at the steal of the draft we got!!!! Gambling is a good thing sometimes.

Saban made the right decision to gamble in the 3rd for Crowder. At this point, he looks like a better pick than Roth. But I do think we'll have to give it a few years to see if he continues to hold up.

playmaker1 said:
Think about guys who are supost to be sure things coming outta college. you might get the next Ryan Leif. Im from WSU, and trust me, there is nothing more I would like to burry my head in the dirt than that situation. He was suppost to be good, never a gamble at all. Look at that one!

Good point. I think a lot of those qb's who go early are in a tough situation. Some of those guys who flopped, maybe even Leaf, might have made it with better teams/coaching staffs/players around them. That is another factor that is huge in football.

your right SF, you cant tell just by one year, I know. But I do think anytime you gamble, you will know if it was the right move right away. I think the Crowder gamble was a great move

SF Dolphin Fan said:
Good point. I think a lot of those qb's who go early are in a tough situation. Some of those guys who flopped, maybe even Leaf, might have made it with better teams/coaching staffs/players around them. That is another factor that is huge in football.

your right, I do feel for the QBs that go to teams with no chance. Look at alex smith. I kinda feel for that guy. I think that is why ML stayed at USC instead of going pro, he didn't want to be there with no chance. But as far as Leaf, he did that too himself... dick

playmaker1 said:

Big difference, Crowders knee problems were in high school, not "coming outta college".

BlueFin said:
Big difference, Crowders knee problems were in high school, not "coming outta college".

yeah, but a knee problem is a knee problem. nomatter where. Plus he had problems off the field

playmaker1 said:
your right SF, you cant tell just by one year, I know. But I do think anytime you gamble, you will know if it was the right move right away. I think the Crowder gamble was a great move

Yeah, he definitely looks like he could be a star. I hope so.

playmaker1 said:
your right, I do feel for the QBs that go to teams with no chance. Look at alex smith. I kinda feel for that guy. I think that is why ML stayed at USC instead of going pro, he didn't want to be there with no chance. But as far as Leaf, he did that too himself... dick

I agree. I think that's why a lot of qb's drafted after the first round do better. They aren't rushed, they might be with teams that weren't desperate for qb play etc. Leaf was strange because he looked like a can't miss guy in college. Wonder what Tom Brady might have done if he were a 1st round pick of say the Texans a few years back???

It would be interesting to see the odds, or numbers on QBs taken in the first compaired to QBs taken in rounds 2-7. As much as I hate the guy, You neverknow when you will get the Brady in the 6th.

playmaker1 said:
yeah, but a knee problem is a knee problem. nomatter where. Plus he had problems off the field

What I meant was, Crowder made it thru college without more knee problems, which is different than Cromartie for example.

i don't see how taking crowder in the 3rd was a gamble. he was projected as high as the first at one point. he got a steal.

Back
Top Bottom