When, when and when | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

When, when and when

Puffboy(ricky) said:
When are ZT and JT gonna rework their contracts?

When is Booker gonna get lower his income to reflect his production?

When are the phins gonna fire their cap guy?

Aside from Ronny brown, Taylor and Thomas (and Surtain but gone) Phins never sign these big money contracts, Seattle has signed two this year, Washigton does it every year, Dallas does it every year and the cap hammer never seems to fall on them - 27 year old probowl players are worth the big money. Miami never overpaying for these players and still little room under the cap? There is a problem here!

You are talking about our TOP defensive players for years, so they deserve to take their time to rebuild contracts, and Saban has proved he doesn't need very expensive guys to win games.

Ryan1973 said:
I actually agree with some of the things the guy brings up. It does seem like the Dolphins rarely spend big time money on free agents but are always in cap hell every year and I have always wondered why also. You never see them have cap space like the Browns or Vikings do this year.

How are we in "Cap Hell?" We signed Daunte and a handfull of other players already and are still under the cap. Just because we don't have as much money to spend as Cleveland or Minnesota doesn't mean we are in cap hell. There are more teams in our situation than you think who are just as capable of working contracts to fit under the cap. Do you see Pitts or NE or Denver or any of the other playoff teams spending huge amounts of money? 1 team, Washington is spending a boatload of money on free agents. Were you a dolphin fan in the early 90s when we went out and spent a ton on FA and did nothing with it?

1. It was reported earlier the JT and ZT were gonna rework their contracts to create some cap space, it hasn't been done. Was asking when that might happen. Don't think thats an absurd question.

2. Brooker getting 3,100,000 this year for a 2nd receiver with his production. Don't think thats absurd to question that.

3. The only huge FA offering I can remember miami offering was to Olin Krutz a probowl center that we lost out on. Culpepper has a cap hit this year of a 1 mill base and 1.1 mill bonus, not really a big money signing here, just a big player signing. Further this board has been flooded with folks wanting all the top big money free agents inwhich we have aquired none of them. Granted we has signed alot of players that I like and belive Saban has done an outstanding job with that.

I was not implying that Saban has not shopped and aquired some great BARGIN talent, he has but that should reflect in in our available cap moneys and it doesn't. We are never way under the cap like minny (and they signed a ton of good expensive players last year) Somehow these teams keep spending big money and still are able to spend more. We should be able to do this too some how. Not saying just go over spend, but if we have a chance to sign a 27 year old probowl LB like Lavar or Peterson we should be able to do it and not be scared to spend the big signing bonus. If we can't afford to do this for just one player here and there Ithink we have a problem with how our contracts are designed to make best use of the cap.

Ouch, that Jets fan thing did hurt.

Ryan1973 said:
I actually agree with some of the things the guy brings up. It does seem like the Dolphins rarely spend big time money on free agents but are always in cap hell every year and I have always wondered why also. You never see them have cap space like the Browns or Vikings do this year.
Thats because the Vikings were ran on the cheap for a very long time under the previous owner to keep costs down and make the team easier to sell, they were always well under the cap the last several years. I guess the Browns have just sucked long enough that no big name FAs have wanted to go their. As to the original poster re-working JT or Zachs contract only pushes the money into a later year and I doubt we will do it unless we absolutly have to. Also with the new cap Booker isnt all that overpaid.

Marino Forever said:
How are we in "Cap Hell?" We signed Daunte and a handfull of other players already and are still under the cap. Just because we don't have as much money to spend as Cleveland or Minnesota doesn't mean we are in cap hell. There are more teams in our situation than you think who are just as capable of working contracts to fit under the cap. Do you see Pitts or NE or Denver or any of the other playoff teams spending huge amounts of money? 1 team, Washington is spending a boatload of money on free agents. Were you a dolphin fan in the early 90s when we went out and spent a ton on FA and did nothing with it?

Yes, I was since 1978 and remember us trying to go all out to buy a superbowl. Never implied that here at all. Just want to take advantage of getting a few great players here went the opportunity arises. Perterson or Lavar.

Puffboy(ricky) said:
1. It was reported earlier the JT and ZT were gonna rework their contracts to create some cap space, it hasn't been done. Was asking when that might happen. Don't think thats an absurd question.

Restructing contacts in some cases have negative repercussions down the road. If the players have agreed to restructure, what exactly is the problem with them waiting until they need it to do it? Carter restructured when asked. Relax.

Puffboy(ricky) said:
2. Brooker getting 3,100,000 this year for a 2nd receiver with his production. Don't think thats absurd to question that.

For his production? We had questionable quarterback play, and he had what, 18 something yards per catch?

Puffboy(ricky) said:
3. The only huge FA offering I can remember miami offering was to Olin Krutz a probowl center that we lost out on. Culpepper has a cap hit this year of a 1 mill base and 1.1 mill bonus, not really a big money signing here, just a big player signing. Further this board has been flooded with folks wanting all the top big money free agents inwhich we have aquired none of them. Granted we has signed alot of players that I like and belive Saban has done an outstanding job with that.

Have you noticed any corelation whatsoever in big contracts given out and team success?

Added a response to all the "WTF?" in the orginal thread. Hopefully these points don't seem so far offbase now. Just alittle offbase :)

Back
Top Bottom