Where is JJ? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where is JJ?

The 96-2000 team was is frustrating. You can excuse 1996 because Jimmy tore down the entire roster (needed to be done, anyway). 1997 was promising and 1998 looked even better, but it all fell apart in 1999. A lot of it had to do with how Jimmy tried to mold the team into a run-first offense with a quick defense, and he did succeed to a point (especially with the defense), but at that point, Marino was so far in decline that teams knew he wasn't a deep ball threat. It also didn't help that Marino didn't have very many reliable receivers to throw to. OJ McDuffie was perhaps the best of an average corps of receivers. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was a good RB, but he didn't have nearly a good a line as Emmitt Smith had in front of him, and his stats reflected this. Tim Ruddy was his best and most consistent lineman and everyone else was average at best. Richmond Webb was in decline like Marino was, so it just wasn't going to work.

To be fair, Jimmy was always swinging for the fences on offense. The most notable example was John Avery, who no one was going to confuse with Dave Meggett. Avery seemed to have the propensity to either just drop the ball or get tripped up by a stiff breeze. With that team, for every last second FG win over the Broncos, there were at least one or two just "why bother playing" losses to teams like the Broncos in the 1998 playoffs. And the less said about the 99 playoff loss to the Jaguars, the better...

Everyone knows your build a team with WRs first.

OLs and TEs are worthless in modern football.

I thought the OL coach deserved props for using duck tape to keep fielding a decent line
For real. Also, developing Eichenberg who was looking dangerously like a bust, and Austin Jackson. Makes me optimistic if we decide to draft a lineman or two in the draft that we will actually pick the right ones and develop them properly…

I love Jimmy

View attachment 159491

More for the Canes stuff than the Dolphin stuff

When he got out he did it the right way, Fishing in the Keys and making big time money just to talk a few hours on Sunday

More power to him
It’s not like he was awful during his Dolphins tenure. He went 36-28 and 2-3 in the playoffs. People have funny memories about him, but he was the second best coach we had since Shula. I mean if you compare every coach (except Wandstache who was basically playing with JJ’s team Anyways) there isnt’ a single coach who can come close to him in terms of wins/losses/playoff victories. He drafted two hall of famers in a relatively short amount of time, and he is wildly under appreciated around here.

Yeah he only drafted two hall of famers and several pro bowlers. Won two playoff games. Total failure lmao
I was talking about what he did in Miami.
In Dallas he had way more draft picks, the number one overall pick TWICE, and Irvin was already there.
I wasn't referring to what he did in Dallas.
If you read what I wrote, I didn't criticize any defensive picks in Miami or any Dallas picks.
His most recent attempt at drafting offense- in Miami- 25 years ago- sucked.
And I stick by it. And I like JJ a lot, actually. That wasn't me bashing for the sake of bashing.

JJ deserves a lot of credit in Dallas. some luck was there as well. He wasn't also able to completely dismember the roster here as he to contend that Marino was still here but no spring chicken anymore and couldn't blow it all up. Retool of sorts that didn't quite pan out. In Dallas they took advantage of a terrible roster to go 1-15, draft a franchise QB and the Walker deal gave them a boatload of picks the way it was structured

He did a very good job with the defense, but unfortunately a few busts at RB/WR hampered their ability to really turn it around.

IIRC in Dallas Emmitt wasn't their #1 option but the other RB was taken. Funny how it works out in hindsight.

Some people fixate on the finish of the season. However, for a very high proportion of the season, the O-line did extremely well, even dealing with unavailability of key players. In fact this was probably the best Dolphin O-line performance in over 20 years and full credit goes to the coaches. Yes, we still need more talent in the Draft but the step change improvement by Austin Jackson, Conner Williams and Liam Eichenberg was self evident. Jackson now looks like he was a good Draft pick.
BTW - the big reason why Raheem Mostert was able to break the Dolphins TD season record at age 31 was largely the improved performance of the O-line plus Alec Ingold and Durham Smythe.

I would welcome Jimmy into the Miami front office. He'll need a big trade (Hill, Waddle, or Ramsey) and then he will go to work. If he doesn't believe in Tua, he will be gone and the big trade will net a QB and other playmakers for years to come. IMO.

Back
Top Bottom