Which is the greatest safety combination in Dolphins' history? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which is the greatest safety combination in Dolphins' history?

Which is the greatest safety combination in Dolphins' history?

• Louis Oliver and Jarvis Williams

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Dick Anderson and Jake Scott

Votes: 52 71.2%
  • Glenn and Lyle Blackwood

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Brock Marion and Brian Walker

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Brock Marion and Arturo Freeman

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
updated version of poll on official site...

Anderson and Scott may be the best safety combination in league history. The others are not even in the same ballpark. I did really like Oliver and Williams though.

It is SO great to be a fan of a team... for which the overwhelming number of their fans would know... that their greatest safety combo ever... was a tandem that played 30 years ago, and most of their present fan base probably doesn't remember seeing play... as opposed to some lightweight fans who would tend to pick some johnny-come-latelies.

Wanny should make the secondary watch the teamwork and cameraderie with which those guys played. They were loving the game and loving kicking *ss.:)

Originally posted by Phan4Ever
It is SO great to be a fan of a team... for which the overwhelming number of their fans would know... that their greatest safety combo ever... was a tandem that played 30 years ago, and most of their present fan base probably doesn't remember seeing play... as opposed to some lightweight fans who would tend to pick some johnny-come-latelies.

Wanny should make the secondary watch the teamwork and cameraderie with which those guys played. They were loving the game and loving kicking *ss.:)

I didn't vote, but in defense of those "johnny-come-latelies", many fans (myself included) are too young to understand what those two brought to the game.That being the case, those few can only go off of what they HAVE seen and heard. 30 years ago, I was still wetting my pampers, so I can only imagine that those two were great.

Scrappy...

There's no knock whatsoever on younger fans intended. My point is that the overwhelming lead in this survey is going to Anderson and Scott, when the majority of fans here couldn't remember them playing. I'm just saying that that points to a pretty knowledgable fan base here in FinHeaven.

But I know what you mean... When I started cheering for the Fins in 1970, those oldcodgers who'd been onboard since way back in 1966 were always doing that, "You don't remember when, sonny" thing over me.:goof:

no need to imagine them just read...

http://www.miamidolphins.com/history/1972perfectseason/1972teamroster/teamroster_scott_j.asp

One of the greatest safeties in pro football throughout his career, Scott was selected to the Pro Bowl four of the six years he was with the Dolphins. In his nine-year career (the last three were spent with the Washington Redskins) Scott played in 126 games and recorded 49 interceptions for 551 yards (11.2), and returned 130 punts for 1,357 yards (10.4) and one touchdown. He was named the MVP of Super Bowl VII after tying a Super Bowl record with two interceptions and setting the record for the most return yardage with 63 yards.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/history/1972perfectseason/1972teamroster/teamroster_anderson_d.asp

Anderson spent his entire nine-year career with the Miami Dolphins, setting numerous team and individual records for interceptions and return yardage. A three-time All-Pro selection, Anderson played in 98 consecutive Dolphins games (109 including postseason) until stretching ligaments in the 1975 Pro Bowl which caused him to miss the entire 1975 season and the beginning of the 1976 season. He was named NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1973 by the Associated Press after his third career eight interception season (1968, 1970, and 1973).

damn impressive to have them both back there at the same time - now if Brock and Sammy had played their whole career together there w/b some competition...

Originally posted by Phan4Ever
Scrappy...

There's no knock whatsoever on younger fans intended. My point is that the overwhelming lead in this survey is going to Anderson and Scott, when the majority of fans here couldn't remember them playing. I'm just saying that that points to a pretty knowledgable fan base here in FinHeaven.

But I know what you mean... When I started cheering for the Fins in 1970, those oldcodgers who'd been onboard since way back in 1966 were always doing that, "You don't remember when, sonny" thing over me.:goof:

I'm one of those "old codgers" having watched the first ever practice of the Phins at Boca Ciega HS in St. Pete, July of '66. Every time an opponent threw deep against us you expected Scott or Anderson to at least break it up if not intercept the ball. Keep in mind those incredible numbers they put up were in the days of 14 game seasons and against offenses that rarely threw more than 25 times a game. One year the QB rating of all opponents in games played against the Phins was below 40. (I'm in my office or I'd look the exact number up in my media guide)

The fan base here knows its history and is the most knowledgable football crowd I've ever "chatted" with.

Is there any doubt? Might as well ask who was the greatest head coach in Dolphin history.

I'm not trying to be critical but this is basically an insult to Anderson and Scott to compare them to these others. I wasn't a huge Dolphin fan when they played, but I still recognized that they were hands down the best safety combination in the entire league in their years. They are certainly among the greatest safety combos of all time.

I never saw them play, but from what I know it is Anderson and Scott. Hopefully Knight and Marion can replace them though!

Is there any way that

I can vote against the Blackwood brothers?

Blech!

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
I never saw them play, but from what I know it is Anderson and Scott. Hopefully Knight and Marion can replace them though!

I'd have to say Jake Scott and Dick Anderson also.

But I'll tell ya...Jarvis and Louis were awesome. I'm a little biased to Jarvis Williams, as he was a home town Palatka Panther product. I've seen almost every game he's ever played either live or on tv. I can't recall anyone who would lay a lick any harder than Jarvis.

Then there's the Blackwood brothers. No one should forget what they did for us.

We've had some very good ones.

FYI

this is voting on the official site:

49% Dick Anderson and Jake Scott
26% Louis Oliver and Jarvis Williams
25% Glenn and Lyle Blackwood

not a landslide

Back
Top Bottom