Which NFL team has a worse O-line right now? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which NFL team has a worse O-line right now?

PhinPhan1227

Why is there a watermelon there?
Reaction score
After a weekend without the Phins I was able to spend more time watching other NFL teams...only problem was that I didn't see a single team with a worse performing O-line than ours. I have to assume that Arizona's is worse...and probably Chicago's...but other than that, everyone else seemed to have SOME ability to open a running lane. Everyone else seemed to have SOME ability to give the QB time to get the ball off. This is a scary situation kids. Of every squad on a football team, the O-line needs to most time to gel, and it takes the most time to build. Until I see them play ONE good game this year against a good D, I just can't see us being real contenders. The D just can't do it all by themselves.

It was last weeks game against the Patriots that convinced me that the O'Line, thus far has bee our team's biggest weakness. Until that point I was beginning to think that it WAS in fact ALL Fiedler... However, one thing that all the top producing QB's in the league have in common, it's time in the pocket. I still contend that Jay's average pocket time is 3 seconds... This causes hurry, which causes inaccuracy, which causes interceptions and missed opportunies...

List of other QB's who play crappy with no time in the pocket:
===========================================
Tom Brady
Steve McNair
Drew Bledsoe
Dante Culpepper
Drew Brees
Kordell Stewart
(There are plenty of others)

Is Brian Griese somehow above this? Man I wish he was, but he had a pretty good O Line in Denver (better than ours at least) and he had more established receivers, yet put up similar stats to Jay. (Except he gets sacked more). I'm afraid other teams know that our O-Line is pourous and will be giving up sacks, rushing losses and mistakes if they stack the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
It all starts upfront with Oline.Trent Green wouldn't be putting up those numbers without that massive oline in front of him.Remember first part of '02 season when the Fans of Tampa wanted Johnson on the bench infavor of all people Rob Johnson but Oline started giving Brad more time to throw resulting in Johnson having a great year.

KC offensive line reminds me too much of cowboys early '90's line which in my opinion one of the best oline ever.

Offensive lines equivalent to or worse than Miami's:

Houston: David Carr taking more hits in 2 years than Marino did in his whole career.

Buffalo: Bledsoe has poor protection. Buffalo's rushing offense is 30th or so in the league, with a good RB.

Atlanta: The real reason they need Vick -- their line can't block squat.

New York Giants: Missing 3+ starters. Easily the worst line in the NFL right now. Enough said.

New York Jets: I'd rate them about on par with Miami right now.

New England: These guys get rated lower than Miami's line. Although their run-blocking is about the same (i.e. poor), their pass blocking is worse.

Cleveland: Seen the Browns play? Their entire line is like a giant turd.

And quite frankly, I could go on. Miami isn't the only team in the NFL, and certainly not the only team in the NFL blaming **** on their line.

Now there are SOME special QB's who seem to "know" when the blitz is on, that can stand in the pocket and "feel" where the pressure is but not panic, and is somehow able to "tell" where the single coverage is going to be... And instantly release a pinpoint strike to the open man.For them it seems like time "slows down" and 3 seconds for them is like 5 for a mere mortal QB... If that were the case here a marginal O Line would cut it.

Originally posted by AirVick
Offensive lines equivalent to or worse than Miami's:

Houston: David Carr taking more hits in 2 years than Marino did in his whole career.

Buffalo: Bledsoe has poor protection. Buffalo's rushing offense is 30th or so in the league, with a good RB.

Atlanta: The real reason they need Vick -- their line can't block squat.

New York Giants: Missing 3+ starters. Easily the worst line in the NFL right now. Enough said.

New York Jets: I'd rate them about on par with Miami right now.

New England: These guys get rated lower than Miami's line. Although their run-blocking is about the same (i.e. poor), their pass blocking is worse.

Cleveland: Seen the Browns play? Their entire line is like a giant turd.

And quite frankly, I could go on. Miami isn't the only team in the NFL, and certainly not the only team in the NFL blaming **** on their line.

Notice with the exception of New England, all these teams have bad records.

Like Minus said "It all starts up front".

If I remember correctly KC got Will Shields and Willie Roaf for almost nothing. Can you imagine what Ricky would do with that line.
:whew:

Originally posted by 13isgr81

List of other QB's who play crappy with no time in the pocket:
===========================================
Tom Brady
Steve McNair
Drew Bledsoe
Dante Culpepper
Drew Brees
Kordell Stewart
(There are plenty of others)

I wouldn't say Brady plays crappy, and certainly not McNair. But Culpepper gets plenty of time in the pocket. I get to see all the Vikings games and the only reason Culpepper plays crappy is because he is a fool. He eats the ball like no one I have ever seen. His line gives him all the time in the world and he stands back there, trying to decide if he should run with it or pass, and then he gets hit and fumbles. The guy has all the talent in the world with no brains to match. It's scary to think how good he would be if he actually knew what he was doing.

Originally posted by DolphinzD

I wouldn't say Brady plays crappy, and certainly not McNair. But Culpepper gets plenty of time in the pocket. I get to see all the Vikings games and the only reason Culpepper plays crappy is because he is a fool. He eats the ball like no one I have ever seen. His line gives him all the time in the world and he stands back there, trying to decide if he should run with it or pass, and then he gets hit and fumbles. The guy has all the talent in the world with no brains to match. It's scary to think how good he would be if he actually knew what he was doing.

I not saying these QBs play crappy in general, I am saying that they all play poorly when under constant pressure. When you get consitant pressure on Brady he makes big mistakes. McNair is playing REALLY well right now, but so is his O-Line, at least for pass blocking.

I not saying these QBs play crappy in general, I am saying that they all play poorly when under constant pressure. When you get consitant pressure on Brady he makes big mistakes. McNair is playing REALLY well right now, but so is his O-Line, at least for pass blocking.

Okay, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. You're absolutely correct.

Notice with the exception of New England, all these teams have bad records.

Like Minus said "It all starts up front".

Notice the difference between New England, Miami, and the rest of those teams?

Miami and New England have good defenses.

Miami even has the added benefit of an all-pro RB.

Originally posted by AirVick

I disagree about New England. They're actually getting production on the ground despite a patchwork of mediocre RB's. They're also giving Brady more time to throw than Fiedler is getting. I don't care whether that's a result of the personell or the coaching scheme...they're performing better than our guys are right now.

you cannot have everything our OL and QB play about as well as they are payed to play as does our D. The problem on O lies in that they have a Pittsburgh Pirate-like salary structure, while Steinbrenner is footing the bill for our D ;)

Originally posted by dolphan39
you cannot have everything our OL and QB play about as well as they are payed to play as does our D. The problem on O lies in that they have a Pittsburgh Pirate-like salary structure, while Steinbrenner is footing the bill for our D ;)

I'm not nessesarily blaming Wanny here...I just don't think there was a lot of talent available. That being said...other teams seem to be getting more from their players than we are. I have to say however that I think Wanny and Co screwed the pooch in thinking that Nails and the other injured players would come back 100%.

Back
Top Bottom